What foods are just not worth the # of calories?

Replies

• KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,511 Member
    Sweets.

I have various well-meaning gifts of gummies and hard candy that I'm refusing to eat. It's just pure sugar.

I'll rejig my diary to fit in anything chocolatey, but I don't see the point of candy.

For me, sweets are pure nostalgia. Peach rings for example... I NEVER have them, but if I do it's when I want to taste my childhood haha

Or coca cola bottle jujubes. Sigh. That just screams summer to me. ❤️
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Sweets.

I have various well-meaning gifts of gummies and hard candy that I'm refusing to eat. It's just pure sugar.

I'll rejig my diary to fit in anything chocolatey, but I don't see the point of candy.

For me, sweets are pure nostalgia. Peach rings for example... I NEVER have them, but if I do it's when I want to taste my childhood haha

oh yes! if it brings back memories it is worth the calories for me becuase a little goes a long way!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Sweets.

I don't find these appealing at all -- I'm only interested in sugar when combined with fat, but for those who like them I'm jealous of the low calorie counts, since fat tends to bring tons of cals. I wouldn't waste cals on hard candies since they don't interest me, but aren't they pretty low cal?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Sweets.

Summer as a child for me is straight up popsicles, which happily are available pretty low cal these days (or can be made from blended fruit).
  • pancakerunner
    Maple syrup and honey
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Peanuts. Why bother with peanuts which are not really nuts at 160 cal per ounce when one can have almonds or walnuts or cashews with about the same count.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,453 Member
    Okay so a "distributor" gave me some food samples with Melaleuca oil in them. Total sales pitch for an MLM company, but out of curiosity I tried it.

TOTAL TRASH. And people actually pay for this stuff, eat it and claim health benefits from it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Okay so a "distributor" gave me some food samples with Melaleuca oil in them. Total sales pitch for an MLM company, but out of curiosity I tried it.

TOTAL TRASH. And people actually pay for this stuff, eat it and claim health benefits from it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Isn't Melaleuca oil tea tree oil? I'm surprised this was in the food samples....isn't it toxic to ingest?
  • moontyrant
    moontyrant Posts: 160 Member
    amart4224 wrote: »
    Also not worth the calories for me is cheese on sandwiches and burgers.

I like cheese in certain applications, but a slice on a sandwich/burger does nothing for me. Before counting calories, if I was served a sandwich with cheese, I'd just eat it. Now, I pick it off and save the calories for a cookie or something.

I've been giving this one some thought lately. I looooove cheese and always put it on my turkey or chicken sandwiches, but the other day I was asking myself "can I really even taste it?" It's like I've been putting cheese on sandwiches just out of habit so I'm definitely going to have to try one without and see if/how much I miss it.

I don’t really notice cheese in my wraps and sandwiches but I swapped it out for avocado and it’s amazing!!
  • pancakerunner
    moontyrant wrote: »
    amart4224 wrote: »
    Also not worth the calories for me is cheese on sandwiches and burgers.

I like cheese in certain applications, but a slice on a sandwich/burger does nothing for me. Before counting calories, if I was served a sandwich with cheese, I'd just eat it. Now, I pick it off and save the calories for a cookie or something.

I've been giving this one some thought lately. I looooove cheese and always put it on my turkey or chicken sandwiches, but the other day I was asking myself "can I really even taste it?" It's like I've been putting cheese on sandwiches just out of habit so I'm definitely going to have to try one without and see if/how much I miss it.

I don’t really notice cheese in my wraps and sandwiches but I swapped it out for avocado and it’s amazing!!

my motto: if you can't taste the cheese, you're eating the wrong cheese!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Fast food burgers, fries, fried chicken sandwiches or tenders
  • carolinelanewa
    carolinelanewa Posts: 44 Member
    Those tiny little lamb cutlets. Tasty. But at 750 cals for 3 I will give them a miss.
  • gwenster89
    gwenster89 Posts: 48 Member
    food from chain restaurants... olive garden, chili's, that kind of thing. the ingredients are poor quality and the amount of calories in that food is just mind blowing. i truly do not understand how they pack so many calories into one plate of food.

even if i'm not cooking a "healthier" version of it at home, i think there's value in being able to use ingredients i feel good about, learning a new recipe, and of course saving the money.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Ice Cream- I like ice cream, but, it has so many calories for so little. I'd rather have more popsicles or chocolate.. lol

I only buy ice cream in that teeny carboard single container and it rarely feels worth it.
  • pancakerunner
    ugh... sandwich bread!!!
  • Whatsthemotive
    Whatsthemotive Posts: 145 Member
    This came up for me today. My husband bought frozen burger patties snd wants a burger for dinner. I looked at the box. I’ll fix it for him but 410 calories for something that won’t fill me up and that I don’t like too much? No way.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    ugh... sandwich bread!!!

No way! schmidt 647 bread is totally worth 40 cal per slice!
  • pancakerunner
    ugh... sandwich bread!!!

No way! schmidt 647 bread is totally worth 40 cal per slice!

oh, I mean more like what you get at restaurants or out to eat
  • pancakerunner
    xxpgu22wxk8s.png
    like this kind of sandwich