Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Replies

• CameronWhittaker
    CameronWhittaker Posts: 26 Member
    I started trying to lose weight in September at 180kg and dropped down to 150kg by new years but eating less and lots of cardio. I mainly did cardio and not much weights, I got pretty depressed at how much strength I lost. At 180kg I could bench press 130, deadlift 180kg, and squat 150kg. At 150kg I could barely bench 70, DL 100kg, and squat 80kg.

So I started a weight lifting plan, iv made some gains while still losing weight. I'm almost down to 130kg, can deadlift 150kg, squat 90kg, and bench 90kg. This isn't huge by any means but at least I'm retaining and gaining a little strength while losing significant weight.

Iv still got a chunk of weight to lose, hopefully, I can keep my strength maybe even get stronger.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I start my cut again in May but am so scared I’ll lose everything I’ve built, most specifically my strength. In terms of a reasonable deficit to retain strength I would aim for .5 lb loss a week, but to hit a 20 lb loss that would take me 40ish weeks, isn’t being in a deficit that long also harmful when trying to retain? Sorry for the length, I’m already stressed about my upcoming cut 🤣

Being in a reasonable deficit for a long time is not harmful, that's the point of reasonable, it's not the stress on the body unreasonable would be.
    You could have 5 lbs @ 1 lb weekly and be reasonable, until moving to 0.5 lb weekly.
    Might benefit from a 1 week diet break at 10 lbs left, and 5 lbs left.

To retain strength - don't drop the weight on the bar.
    And increase the weight on the bar for squats & deadlifts by the amount lost off the body.

You'll have to cut frequency or duration, but keep the intensity - ie weight on the bar.
    Drop sets, and/or reps, to keep the intensity just as difficult.

Obviously don't expect increases during a deficit, wrong time to increase everything in a diet.
    But can maintain.

Weight training to do during fat loss - http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-1.html

• jennacole12
    jennacole12 Posts: 1,167 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    I start my cut again in May but am so scared I’ll lose everything I’ve built, most specifically my strength. In terms of a reasonable deficit to retain strength I would aim for .5 lb loss a week, but to hit a 20 lb loss that would take me 40ish weeks, isn’t being in a deficit that long also harmful when trying to retain? Sorry for the length, I’m already stressed about my upcoming cut 🤣

Being in a reasonable deficit for a long time is not harmful, that's the point of reasonable, it's not the stress on the body unreasonable would be.
    You could have 5 lbs @ 1 lb weekly and be reasonable, until moving to 0.5 lb weekly.
    Might benefit from a 1 week diet break at 10 lbs left, and 5 lbs left.

To retain strength - don't drop the weight on the bar.
    And increase the weight on the bar for squats & deadlifts by the amount lost off the body.

You'll have to cut frequency or duration, but keep the intensity - ie weight on the bar.
    Drop sets, and/or reps, to keep the intensity just as difficult.

Obviously don't expect increases during a deficit, wrong time to increase everything in a diet.
    But can maintain.

Weight training to do during fat loss - http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/weight-training-for-fat-loss-part-1.html

Thank you so much! I just read the whole thing and found it very helpful, although I may need to read it a few more times to make sure I pulled everything, there’s a lot of info in there. And by cut frequency or duration you mean.... I’d essentially squat the same weight, as my standard working set, but rather than 5 sets of 5 or whatever.... I may have to cut down to 3 sets of 5?
  • heybales
    See if this posts
  • heybales
    Strange - I've got a post that is pretty simple getting hit by a MFP front end keyword blocker.
  • heybales
    As that article mentions, you can drop 2/3 combined of frequency and volume to maintain, and do something that will increase your daily calorie burn more than lifting in the saved time, so then a reasonable deficit allows you to eat more. That's the metabolic training he references and why.
  • heybales
    Can't get rest of the post showing the math on what 2/3 of 5x5 is.

Argument 1 passed to KeywordBlocker\Library\KeywordContentFilter::matchesWord() must be of the type string, null given, called in /var/www/frontend-d96ce2dcd89ea7/plugins/KeywordBlocker/Library/KeywordContentFilter.php on line 70
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    edited February 2021

If you want to get lean enough for a BB show/competition, you will lose strength, no doubt about it, you cannot expect to want to BB, powerlift and do strength type sports at the same time...on a serious fat loss BB depletion phase you will be as weak as....or are you just cutting weight/fat for a weight class competition in strength sports? I gain/maintain strength on most cuts, but I am a strength athlete, not a BB...
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Moving this thread up as some people are looking for it. Great thread!
  • Silvergrizz
    Silvergrizz Posts: 37 Member
    Just found this thread yesterday after a search on building muscle. tremendous amount of info, just started reading through the thread, going to take me a couple of weeks at least. I see it has slowed down recently, but glad I found it. Still a lot I don't understand, but will hopefully pick up along the way. I assume most people have achieved their goals over time. hope there are a few just starting this journey that will tag along. Within 10 lbs of goal weight after 4 months, started weights last month. From what I read to date, appears I was on transition to recomp and did not know it. Body fat still over 20%, muscle mass at 75% according to scales. Eating at a 500 calorie deficit,(1500 total) not adding back in earned spent calories due to walking. Weights 3 times per week and just adjusted up calories by 250 on those days only today. Will see if my weight loss continues by doing this.
  • kperk91
    kperk91 Posts: 226 Member
    bump
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,322 Member
    @Silvergrizz - I am just starting to look into body recomposition, and was also happy to stumble across so much good information in one place.

I bookmarked this page a few weeks ago but haven’t developed a solid plan yet. Recently, I started working with a personal trainer for 30 minutes twice a week, which involves doing a lot of exercises using resistance bands and my body weight. So, I’m thinking about adding a couple of heavier weight trading days. I’m going to talk with the trainer tomorrow to get some ideas.

It sounds as though you have a consistent routine underway. Good for you and congratulations on your progress!
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    I'm 5 lbs away from my goal, and after a lot of reading and thinking about where I'd like to end up, here I am. Bumping my calories a bit is the easy part, but I'm somewhat limited in terms of access to workout equipment so I might have to get creative as things progress. I'm starting from not super strong so I'm good for now though. Looking forward to learning.