Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Dopamine Fasting

2»

Replies

• Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    edited February 2021
    amandaeve wrote: »
    As someone with a lifetime struggle with major depression, the very phrase "dopamine fasting" sounds ill-intended and sensationalist. First time I heard about it here, so I have reading to do, but I feel like I am about to read a "woman's magazine". You know the one, "Simplify your life by strictly following these 132 easy steps every day!". Make no mistake, the joy of having a thing is tenfold after being deprived of it for so long, but this sounds like an argument straight out of my Catholic relatives, "suffering is virtue". No thanks.

Hahahah! “132 easy steps every day!”... can’t wait (jk) 😂
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Ddsb11 wrote: »
    amandaeve wrote: »
    As someone with a lifetime struggle with major depression, the very phrase "dopamine fasting" sounds ill-intended and sensationalist. First time I heard about it here, so I have reading to do, but I feel like I am about to read a "woman's magazine". You know the one, "Simplify your life by strictly following these 132 easy steps every day!". Make no mistake, the joy of having a thing is tenfold after being deprived of it for so long, but this sounds like an argument straight out of my Catholic relatives, "suffering is virtue". No thanks.

Hahahah! “132 easy steps every day!”... can’t wait 😂

Yeah - I got a book from some guy once purporting to be a life-health-hack expert... he completely lost me in the chapter where he went into great detail about the 150+ supplements he takes (every day) and the order he takes them in and why. I threw the book into the trash and went for burgers with my dad.

The guy here sounds a lot like the author of the book to me.

I'm trying to picture how long it would take to simply consume that many supplements, let alone the logistics of even finding 150 things TO supplement!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,932 Member
    edited February 2021
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member
    Ddsb11 wrote: »
    There's a specific form of lifehacking that seems so aggressively macho in its attempts to rationalize preferences, complicate the relatively uncomplicated, and create feats of endurance out of otherwise unremarkable tasks.

When I read stuff like this, part of me is like "More power to this guy for figuring out a way that works for him." But part of me questions it, like does this REALLY make him happier? Or is this just a desperate way to try to feel better about stuff he'd be doing anyway? It's hard to silence that voice in my head that is also saying "Dude, get over yourself."

Most of us manage to cover our daily responsibilities without having to turn it into some kind of dopamine-regulation experiment. We just find a way of scrubbing the toilet AND catching up on our favorite television show and everything pretty much works out.

(This isn't to say that some people do seem to struggle specifically with meeting their responsibilities and maybe some kind of plan or regulation may work for them in particular).

(Note: when I say it's aggressively macho, it doesn't mean that only men do this or that all men do it. I just mean I tend to see more men playing in the "life hack" space and when they're doing things like going on 24 hour water fasts or attempting to cut off dopamine by limiting fun or doing things like inventing weird sleep schedules, it often comes across as an attempt to prove how tough or "above it all" they are. Women also do stupid things to demonstrate their commitment to norms of femininity, they just look different than this).

Exactly my question too- does it make you happier? If so, how? Is there proof? I want to know! I do know if I villainize (is that even a word) something that’s normal, like eating carbs, or not meditating at exactly 10am every morning, that will only make life feel unbearable and joyless. I don’t think that’s where the author of this term was trying to go, or at least I don’t believe so. But people are people and we can be masochistic sometimes.

Presumably since this is all based on dopamine release, it would be possible to quantify whether or not someone is releasing less dopamine overall or having a stronger response to the dopamine they are releasing. I'm obviously not particularly educated in this field, so that's a guess.

Now the question would come up for me: Do we know what "too much dopamine" is? Do we know that producing less makes the times we do produce it more impactful? Do we know if there's a difference between different types of dopamine production, like is the dopamine I get from cuddling with my husband the same as the dopamine I get from eating french fries or going for a long run? It seems really likely to me that different types of dopamine producing activities aren't happening in isolation. Other hormones are probably involved. Some pleasurable activities make us feel wired, others relaxed. Some make us feel productive or successful, others make us feel guilty or rundown. I feel like we lose so much nuance when we treat all pleasurable activities as the same. Watching a movie isn't like writing a novel, eating chocolate cake isn't like cuddling with a puppy. These are all distinct things and it seems weird to just lump them together as potentially harmful.

It seems so obvious that I'm reluctant to even point it out, but different pleasurable activities are different. What is amazingly fun for me is a drag for someone else and vice versa. We're not able to swap different activities and get the exact same result.

This is a really interesting topic to me. Thanks for posting it!

Same, thanks for entertaining the topic 🙏🏻

The link between happiness and wellness has always been intriguing to me, especially when we start diving into the neuroscience of rewiring our brains with intentional thought, which is fairly in line with this topic. I’ll be a geek and digress for a sec and give an example:

There’s a neuropsychologist named Rick Hanson who wrote a book called Buddha’s Brain: The Practical Neuroscience of Happiness, Love, and Wisdom. He mentions the research shown that as people activate their insula more, such as through meditation, the insula actually gets thicker. Neurons make more and more connections with each other, which actually measurably thickens your insula. So as a result, people then become more in touch with themselves. But even beyond that, research has shown that the insula is also crucial for empathy. Because when we get a sense of the emotions of other people, we actually light up the same neural circuits in our own brain—they light up as if we’re accessing those feelings ourselves. So on and so forth it goes. So the discovery- meditation is scientifically proven to change and improve your health and happiness, and it’s practical. Great!

So when I read the theory of Dopamine Fasting, I wanted to wrap my head around it scientifically, and ask, if it’s true is it even practical? What does dopamine do, the good and the bad? When is the increase in dopamine too much? How can we even control that and live a normal life? Basically all of your questions.

Apologize for rambling! Just enjoy reading your insightful responses! I learn something new everyday.

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    We get one life. While there is nothing good about going after pleasure in a way that hurts yourself or causes you to neglect other responsibilities, I don't see the point of deliberately denying myself the small, but meaningful, pleasures of a fun game or a good book or a perfect cup of tea or lazing in bed on a Sunday morning with a dog.

Exactly! Although I don't experience any pleasure from the constant barrage of texts/IMs/DMs/phone calls that pummel me all day, they're more annoying than anything. I think I get more of a "dopamine fix" when I occasionally forget my phone at work on my lunch hour.

But I see no value in abstaining from the simple things that do give me joy like cuddling with the dogs, or hearing the sound of birds through an open window on a summer day, or seeing the little shoots of perennials coming up in the spring.
  • MarttaHP
    MarttaHP Posts: 68 Member

Presumably since this is all based on dopamine release, it would be possible to quantify whether or not someone is releasing less dopamine overall or having a stronger response to the dopamine they are releasing. I'm obviously not particularly educated in this field, so that's a guess.

Now the question would come up for me: Do we know what "too much dopamine" is? Do we know that producing less makes the times we do produce it more impactful? Do we know if there's a difference between different types of dopamine production, like is the dopamine I get from cuddling with my husband the same as the dopamine I get from eating french fries or going for a long run? It seems really likely to me that different types of dopamine producing activities aren't happening in isolation. Other hormones are probably involved. Some pleasurable activities make us feel wired, others relaxed. Some make us feel productive or successful, others make us feel guilty or rundown. I feel like we lose so much nuance when we treat all pleasurable activities as the same. Watching a movie isn't like writing a novel, eating chocolate cake isn't like cuddling with a puppy. These are all distinct things and it seems weird to just lump them together as potentially harmful.

It seems so obvious that I'm reluctant to even point it out, but different pleasurable activities are different. What is amazingly fun for me is a drag for someone else and vice versa. We're not able to swap different activities and get the exact same result.

This is a really interesting topic to me. Thanks for posting it!

Indeed; I started reading up on this, and in addition to dopamine there's at least serotonin, related to general wellbeing and happiness, endorphins, released during exercise, and oxytocin, released when getting cuddly. I guess these dopamine-fasting advocates concentrate on that in specific because it's associated with activities like sex, drugs and gambling that can be problematic in excess.

But according to this other article, only really intense continuous stimulation of dopamine receptors (e.g. sex, drugs, gambling) is enough to exhaust them, and then you presumably need an ever increasing hit of that activity/substance to reach that same high. I guess that would qualify as "too much dopamine". But everyday pleasurable activities aren't intense enough to cause any decline in that neurotransmitter system.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    The OP hasn't been on since March 30th. I don't think she cares anymore.
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    GummiMundi wrote: »
    Here's what I don't understand: the article starts by saying that dopamine is released when we do something that brings us pleasure. And then it lists a number of activities that allegedly gives us that dopamine release, and that we ought to stop doing. Those activities are to be replaced by new ones (meditation instead of TV, broccoli instead of sweets, etc.), which we're supposed to feel pleasure from. But won't that "new" pleasure bring a dopamine release as well? So what's the difference?

I get the idea of switching "harmful" habits for "healthy" ones - even though that's highly personal - but I don't understand this approach, especially if you're going to get a dopamine release either way.

I guess that's the point. You fast from the unhelpful, unhealthy dopamine hits until you get the same hit form something beneficial to you. Its like swapping emotional eating for emotional exercising. When you feel down or bored or annoyed you can reach for a slice of cake or do a 5 minute HIIT workout. Both make you feel good and offer some comfort from the bad mood, but one keeps you feeling good because it's a virtuous cycle and the other triggers a new down mood because you broke your diet/put on weight.
  • jmf552
    jmf552 Posts: 47 Member
    I guess I look at it simplistically. Any lifestyle change that involves having less fun is a no go for me. One thing I have learned getting older is that fun gets more scarce as the years go by. Grab all the fun you can that doesn't hurt you.