Bad hip pain

Options
Hi. I have really bad hip pain. I need to lose weight to reduce my hip pain. Hurts so bad to walk. What can I do to get moving and burn calories?

Replies

• MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is usually more about the kitchen than the gym. I'd start with a good weight-loss food plan appropriate for your current weight and activity level. Please see a doc and get hip x-rays. You may need hip replacements and no exercise plan in the world is going to help that.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I second everything @MsCzar said. Consult with a medical professional and get your calorie intake locked down first, then start worrying about exercise.

Once you've got your calorie budget figured out, and have the blessing of your doctor to start exercising, you may want to start by looking for seated routines targeting the upper body and core. Many of these are geared toward the elderly, but don't discount them - you have to start somewhere. Your doc should also be able to steer you toward resources, or at least tell you what kinds of movements you should avoid so as to keep from further aggravating whatever's wrong with your hip, if nothing else.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have really bad hip pain. I need to lose weight to reduce my hip pain. Hurts so bad to walk. What can I do to get moving and burn calories?
    Have you seen an orthopedist to determine what may be causing the hip pain?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone that seeking a true medical diagnosis is key.

For example, I have pretty severe arthritis in one hip, for which I get cortisone injections. My main form of exercise is lap swimming, but my orthopedist has recommended stroke/kick modifications so I don't damage the hip further.
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,185 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone's advice that you ought to get a medical diagnosis. That said, you might find -- like me -- that there's nothing wrong with your hips, and it is a lack of muscle strength that causes the pain.

Of course, losing weight will help, but how do you do that without walking? Diet and exercise... there are lots of exercises you can do that don't involve walking.

I am 70+ years old, and due to weight and knee problems, I became very sedentary. To the point that my "hip flexor" muscles atrophied and became weak. This made walking painful, which resulted in less walking, which resulted in even weaker muscles. My pain was (and still is, but less so) in the front and sides of my hips. There are a number of muscles involved in walking -- the main ones associated with the hips are gluteus maximus, gluteus minimus, gluteus medius and tensor fascia lata. There are exercises designed to strengthen these specific muscles.

You should first consult your doctor, but here are some articles and videos I found helpful (it is working, but it is taking time):
    Walking and Gaits
    Hip Tendonitis Stretches & Exercises
    Yoga for Hips & Lower Back
    How do you strengthen hip flexors?
    You could also ask your doctor to refer you for physical therapy/rehab.
  • debbie5874mfp
    debbie5874mfp Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have seen a orthopedic in the past and I have osteoarthritis in my hips. I had lost some weight and it seemed to s upside. But I gained 30 lbs and it is back more painful then before and both hips are in major pain. I am so angry at myself!
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    How long in the past was the ortho visit?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Google chair exercises for some ideas!
  • debbie5874mfp
    Options
    My orthopedic visit was over a year ago.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Did the Ortho recommend physical therapy? I personally am a big proponent of it,being a rehab therapist myself (but in a totally different realm than adult PT). I'm also a big proponent, though, being someone with chronic aches and pains and muscular imbalances. I just started my 4th round of PT for yet another issue,but already just having that awareness of what's going on and doing the simple exercises at home already seems beneficial. A good PT can help you find out what specifically is the cause of your hip pain, (because it can be from many things, really) and find the exercises appropriate and specific to you.

If you are unable to get to PT, I'd highly suggest looking into Redefining Strength. She's a personal trainer who also has a lot of techniques and strategies for people like myself who have nagging pain.
  • rlang2362
    rlang2362 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It doesn’t say where you are based?
    I’m in the Uk and have had hip problems for 3 years but that turned to painful a year ago, due to the pandemic everything has gone so slow but bare with it and try and get a new updated X-ray if you can. I agree that visiting a physio is very beneficial, I pay private for mine at the moment as no NHS are doing face to face. The physio is extremely knowledgeable and knows exactly what exercises you can do and can’t do to avoid pain and help with mobility and building strength in the leg muscles.
    But for now I agree with everyone above that weight loss is mainly about your diet and just eating at a calorie deficit will get you heading in the right direction while you sort out your hip x
  • debbie5874mfp
    Options
    I live in Illinois. Walking is unbearable! I am so frustrated with this! I have started this week with the calorie plan. I know taking off the weight will help. I will also contact Orthopedic to get in and see what they suggest. Thank you all for your help. 😊
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    I live in Illinois. Walking is unbearable! I am so frustrated with this! I have started this week with the calorie plan. I know taking off the weight will help. I will also contact Orthopedic to get in and see what they suggest. Thank you all for your help. 😊
    When's the last time you fitted for good walking shoes? I'm more than sure your pain is from weight bearing. I have no idea about your gait or posture when you walk either.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,426 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I’ve had hip pain for years. Dull, deep, strong toothache like pain that kept me awake most nights. Staggering wobblies in the morning for the first five or ten minutes after getting up. Aches sitting, followed by aches standing. It seemed there was no way to win.

Weight loss helped tremendously, as did exercise, which probably strengthened muscles. You don’t have to be fancy. Just get up and walk.

Agree with @ninerbuff that the right walking shoes make a tremendous difference, and would add that the right socks do as well. I’m a huge fan of Balega socks. Yes, they’re expensive, but once you’ve tried them you will not go back to Hanes or inexpensive department store socks. And they last forever. Don’t wear out like the cheaper socks.

A pain cream like Penetrex or Voltaran was very helpful. Tiger Balm did nothing but smell the joint up. The CBD roll-on oil I tried was a bit fat zero.

Foot rests help a bit.

And several months ago I ordered a weighted blanket on a whim, after realizing it felt rather nice having my fat spoiled cat laying on me. I couldn’t believe the difference that made. I haven’t had to use Alleve, and seldom if ever use the creams now. I thought the weighted blankets were some kind of snake oil hype, but I’m a convert now. Husband loathes it. Says the feel of it reminds him of the time they gave him morphine during surgery.
  • debbie5874mfp
    Options
    [quote="springlering62;c-45760911"And several months ago I ordered a weighted blanket on a whim, after realizing it felt rather nice having my fat spoiled cat laying on me. I couldn’t believe the difference that made. I haven’t had to use Alleve, and seldom if ever use the creams now. I thought the weighted blankets were some kind of snake oil hype, but I’m a convert now. Husband loathes it. Says the feel of it reminds him of the time they gave him morphine during surgery. [/quote]

• debbie5874mfp
    Options
    How many pounds is your blanket?
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,426 Member
    Options
    How many pounds is your blanket?

Fifteen pounds twin sized. I ordered the cheapest blanket Amazon had, in case it was a dud, but to my surprise, it’s been perfectly fine, and even though it’s a cat magnet, the little glass beads are intact.

It’s really strange. Because if the way the weight is distributed it feels far heavier than fifteen pounds, but I’ve stepped on the scale holding it and it’s right on the money. But feels like fifty when I try to move it.

Hip pain had me tossing and turning all night. Not only is the blanket soothing, but I often find I haven’t turned over all night. That is nothing short of a freaking miracle.