Any runners with a colostomy?

I may be looking at one after my rectal cancer treatment (if it is not completely successful) and would like any thoughts/insights that might be available. Thank you

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    I (sometimes) run and have an ileostomy
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    I (sometimes) run and have an ileostomy

Do you find it(running) uncomfortable, constraining, difficult?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    I had a ileostomy and utilized a colostomy bag for 9-10 months from late stage rectal cancer during treatments.

I played catcher for my baseball team, ran, swam, cycled, etc...during my treatments throughout the year. Was the second highest batting average in the league btw ;).

They have a special elastic belt you can strap to the bag to help keep the bag secure. If/when the time comes...you can order with your bags purchase.

Btw, if ypu have any questions or need someone to talk to who experienced this...feel free. It really helps to have someone who went through it.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I had a ileostomy and utilized a colostomy bag for 9-10 months from late stage rectal cancer during treatments.

I played catcher for my baseball team, ran, swam, cycled, etc...during my treatments throughout the year. Was the second highest batting average in the league btw ;).

They have a special elastic belt you can strap to the bag to help keep the bag secure. If/when the time comes...you can order with your bags purchase.

Btw, if ypu have any questions or need someone to talk to who experienced this...feel free. It really helps to have someone who went through it.

Thank you. If or when the time comes...