How did you transition to black coffee?

Replies

• BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    I started drinking black, unsweetened coffee around age 11 to 12. I’d previously been given it the way both my parents took it; with a dash of milk and one and a half tsps sugar. I really enjoyed it like that, too!

But even at that young age I wanted to cut the calories so decided to approach a cup of black, unsweetened coffee as if it were a new drink I’d never tried before. Did I like it?

The answer was yes, it was a good new drink and I’ve taken it that way ever since. Tricking myself worked for me. 🤷‍♀️
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    Since I grew up to it, I can't give you a transition strategy, but I can chime in what a couple of folks above have said - try it with a good coffee, brewed well, to start (whatever that means to you). You can tell when I think the coffee is terrible, because I'll add dairy to it. It's also a "dessert" coffee occasionally if I add dairy. I like a strong, rich, dark blend usually, and also take it cold or iced. My wife thinks I'm a barbarian because I'll occasionally let a mug sit idle while doing things, then come back to drink it at room temp. Black coffee is amenable to that where I think dairy coffee isn't. I also don't usually take sugar or other sweetener. Even with espresso drinks.

I can make a cup of coffee, forget about it for an hour or two, and then drink it. My husband can't even watch, it disturbs him so much!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    Since I grew up to it, I can't give you a transition strategy, but I can chime in what a couple of folks above have said - try it with a good coffee, brewed well, to start (whatever that means to you). You can tell when I think the coffee is terrible, because I'll add dairy to it. It's also a "dessert" coffee occasionally if I add dairy. I like a strong, rich, dark blend usually, and also take it cold or iced. My wife thinks I'm a barbarian because I'll occasionally let a mug sit idle while doing things, then come back to drink it at room temp. Black coffee is amenable to that where I think dairy coffee isn't. I also don't usually take sugar or other sweetener. Even with espresso drinks.

I can make a cup of coffee, forget about it for an hour or two, and then drink it. My husband can't even watch, it disturbs him so much!

I do that too, but also sometimes just put it in the refrigerator and drink it later as iced coffee once it gets to room temp.
  • JustaNoob
    JustaNoob Posts: 147 Member
    Afternoon coffee update: I thought, well, I might as well try it today. Took one sip of the stuff at work and added all the creamer there was.

I'll definitely have to start with a good coffee.
  • SquirrelBrain
    SquirrelBrain Posts: 58 Member
    I wish I could love black coffee! I allocate around 200 calories for skim milk in my coffee daily. I generally prefer eating my calories to drinking them but I just don't enjoy black coffee as much. I did drink it black for a few years but went back to adding milk because I just enjoyed it more that way.

I was just thinking about how I need to tighten up my logging and that my generous milk in coffee habit probably accounts for some creep in uncounted calories, so these comments are helpful!
  • JustaNoob
    I wish I could love black coffee! I allocate around 200 calories for skim milk in my coffee daily. I generally prefer eating my calories to drinking them but I just don't enjoy black coffee as much. I did drink it black for a few years but went back to adding milk because I just enjoyed it more that way.

I was just thinking about how I need to tighten up my logging and that my generous milk in coffee habit probably accounts for some creep in uncounted calories, so these comments are helpful!

I've gone back and forth on it really! I've totally thought... this is worth the calories to me. But then at other times, I want to cut back so I can eat the calories. However, if I could realllly enjoy black coffee, then I could have my coffee and eat it too! lol
  • ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    I'll add that good water is also a big help. Can't have a good cup of coffee if you start with bad tasting water.
  • saintlmm7689
    saintlmm7689 Posts: 19 Member
    I could have said "can I have coffee with my creamer please" because I was addicted to peppermint mocha creamer. Then I went cold turkey to black after reading about what is actually in those artificial creamers. It definitely matters that you have good quality coffee in order to tolerate it without creamer. It took a while but I have acquired the taste and know that it is a much healthier choice.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited February 2021
    Maybe you simply don't like coffee. If you're used to adding lots of cream and/or sugar, it could be a little like saying 'I like coffee ice cream' or 'I like espresso brownies.' Unless my math is wrong, 300 calories of creamer spread between only 3 cups of coffee is equal to more than one whole CUP of half & half! 😲
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    I just went cold turkey.

It became very clear, about 30 years ago, that I was intolerant to dairy and I had to cut it out completely for a period to allow my body to resettle. Sheep and goat's milk weren't widely available (and certainly not if out and about) and if plant milk was a thing back then, I never came across it. I lived in a small town in the middle of England and my options weren't great. Black tea was too awful for words whereas black coffee was tolerable, so that's what I started drinking.

Now, although I'll have a small amount of milk in cups of tea (I use almond milk for cereal or anything calling for more than a splash of milk), I still have my coffee black and can't imagine putting milk in it now. Stronger / better coffee is definitely nicer to drink than weak, instant coffee but if I want a coffee then I'll drink whatever's available.
  • JustaNoob
    MsCzar wrote: »
    Maybe you simply don't like coffee. If you're used to adding lots of cream and/or sugar, it could be a little like saying 'I like coffee ice cream' or 'I like espresso brownies.' Unless my math is wrong, 300 calories of creamer spread between only 3 cups of coffee is equal to more than one whole CUP of half & half! 😲

Well, I use powder creamer at work and it adds up really quickly if you actually weigh it. And my concoction at home is 2tbsp of half and half for 40 calories and 2tbsp sweetened creamer for 60 calories.

But even so-- I spend my calories how I want and if it were on a cup of half and half then that is my choice lol! :D What is the difference between drinking that and a cup of whole milk with a couple tablespoons of heavy cream in my coffee? We wouldn't be like, "Holy heck! A cup of whole milk?!😲"

And it seems like many on this thread found a new love for coffee without creamer... and I'm just trying to find that love too. But no, I don't love plain coffee at this moment.
  • Jennliftsandspins
    Jennliftsandspins Posts: 150 Member
    I slowly cut back on the dairy in my coffee until it was just a little skim milk and then finally went black (I never sweetened). It took me a long time to ease out of coffee with dairy. Now I can’t stand anything in my coffee.

Though I’ve noticed I am much pickier as with no dairy to mask the taste of bad coffee I’m much more sensitive to the taste of bitterness.

My favourite is Ethical Bean Lush. It has just a hint of sweetness with no bitterness. Every time I try a different coffee I go back to this. I’ve tried the pods, grounds and whole beans and while they’re all fine, the whole beans freshly ground have the best flavour.
  • 142jmh
    142jmh Posts: 82 Member
    edited February 2021
    In addition to trying different beans etc, add the tiniest pinch of salt to the grounds (especially for "not the highest quality since I'm on a budget" type beans). Makes huge difference!
  • JustaNoob
    I just went cold turkey.

It became very clear, about 30 years ago, that I was intolerant to dairy and I had to cut it out completely for a period to allow my body to resettle. Sheep and goat's milk weren't widely available (and certainly not if out and about) and if plant milk was a thing back then, I never came across it. I lived in a small town in the middle of England and my options weren't great. Black tea was too awful for words whereas black coffee was tolerable, so that's what I started drinking.

Now, although I'll have a small amount of milk in cups of tea (I use almond milk for cereal or anything calling for more than a splash of milk), I still have my coffee black and can't imagine putting milk in it now. Stronger / better coffee is definitely nicer to drink than weak, instant coffee but if I want a coffee then I'll drink whatever's available.

I got tested a while back to see if I was intolerant to dairy. I seem to be a little sensitive to it but not fully intolerant. I love black tea but drink it with cream lol!

I actually tried to quit coffee a few times. In winter, I LOVE it. But summer, it's more of a routine. I went through all the caffeine withdrawal headaches and everything. Then, I started drinking diet mountain dew-- thinking it didn't have caffeine like sprite! I did this for like a month and it was this HUGE 32oz every other day before I realized it was loaded with caffeine! Then I just went back to my coffee routine lol.
  • eater_78
    eater_78 Posts: 13 Member
    Why don't you just use 2% milk instead of creamer? Or start with 3.2% and then get lower right down to 0%. I'd hate to be wasting so many calories on coffee :smiley: Don't get me wrong, I love coffee and have about 3-4 a day plus an occasional fancy latte for over 100kcal. Here in Europe creamer isn't very popular so I don't really know what you'd be missing out on if you switched to milk. I guess if you don't try you'll never know. If it's sweetness you'd miss then there are plenty of sugar free syrups.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited February 2021
    JustaNoob wrote: »
    I spend my calories how I want and if it were on a cup of half and half then that is my choice lol! :D What is the difference between drinking that and a cup of whole milk with a couple tablespoons of heavy cream in my coffee? We wouldn't be like, "Holy heck! A cup of whole milk?!😲"

And it seems like many on this thread found a new love for coffee without creamer... and I'm just trying to find that love too. But no, I don't love plain coffee at this moment.

Sorry - didn't mean to offend you. But you've made my point. If you love the flavour of your current mix, go for it! It's no different than my almost daily 110 calories of good chocolate. It's exactly what I want and I am going to make calorie room for it and enjoy it!

Your question was about cutting back on the 300 daily cals of creamer. I was merely asking if you really want to have coffee without the extra goodies or really love your current higher calorie drink as-is which a whole different species of beverage.

IMO, when you are restricting your calories, every morsel you eat should be enjoyed, not endured.

• wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited February 2021
    Unsweetened almond milk has 30 calories a cup. I use that + stevia.

Black coffee is one of those 'steps too far' re: quality of life change. But the full fat cream I was doing - or even skim milk at 80 calories - wasn't worth it to me.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Also cold brew cuts the bitterness a lot.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    eater_78 wrote: »
    Why don't you just use 2% milk instead of creamer? Or start with 3.2% and then get lower right down to 0%.

This, maybe try switching creamer to milk and then reduce the amount of milk (or try lower cal milk like skim). That seems way easier to me than going cold turkey. But yes, also try getting better coffee vs whatever your work stuff is, if it's not good.

Not saying you can't spent cals on creamer if you like, just throwing out ideas if you want to reduce the cals.
  • JustaNoob
    MsCzar wrote: »
    JustaNoob wrote: »
    I spend my calories how I want and if it were on a cup of half and half then that is my choice lol! :D What is the difference between drinking that and a cup of whole milk with a couple tablespoons of heavy cream in my coffee? We wouldn't be like, "Holy heck! A cup of whole milk?!😲"

Sorry - didn't mean to offend you. But you've made my point. If you love the flavour of your current mix, go for it! It's no different than my almost daily 110 calories of good chocolate. It's exactly what I want and I am going to make calorie room for it and enjoy it!

Your question was about cutting back on the 300 daily cals of creamer. I was merely asking if you really want to have coffee without the extra goodies or really love your current higher calorie drink as-is which a whole different species of beverage.

IMO, when you are restricting your calories, every morsel you eat should be enjoyed, not endured.

Oh I wasn't offended! Just talking and disagreeing. I do love my current mix, but would prefer to eat those calories rather than drink them. And so I'd love to learn to love coffee in a new way as others have done.