Serial Starters

Replies

• LanaCabana537
    LanaCabana537 Posts: 3,824 Member
    6ph4hj0hveda.jpeg
    *** February 16th ***

Good morning!

Well, my two-day eating festival is over. Time to get back on track. This morning I need to find a few more little things to wrap and put into a gift package for my MIL's birthday. That will clock some miles for me 👍🏻

I hope that you all have a decent day 🤗

Lana
  • Twiley510
    Twiley510 Posts: 377 Member
    Now you are taunting me with that picture, Lana! :wink:

We ended up with 5-7 inches of snow with another 8-12 predicted between now and Thursday night (depending on which model you look at). Everything is pretty much at a standstill. Banks are closed. City Hall is closed. Most all production facilities are closed. I see the Street Department out with a backhoe and blade trying to clear streets.

It is sunny, but frigid. Currently, 14 degrees with a wind chill of -5.

Hopefully, it will be relatively safe for me to take my daughter to work tomorrow morning at six and pick her back up at 4. She works in the ICU at our local hospital. It's about 8 miles away and pretty much a straight shot from our house.

I haven't sent out a message yet, but pretty sure we won't be bowling again this week.

Tracy in Tennessee
  • mkculs13
    mkculs13 Posts: 585 Member
    Tracy, stay warm and safe. I hope you don't have to drive anywhere.

I was so excited that it got to 13F today. The snow and ice on the streets began to melt. That means I can probably jog tomorrow afternoon, after a 2nd day of melting. Woo Hoo!

I take off for Miami where my son is ending his 2 month work-from-temporary-home trip. I'll get in Thursday night, work from his apartment on Fri/Monday, and fly back Monday night. I'll have Friday evening through Sunday night to enjoy his beachfront. I'm looking forward to it.

I've been hungry more than usual and my calorie budget only dropped by 50. But, I was eating over it a bit even at 1400 cals (more like 1600) and I've been sticking to the 1350 for the past few days. I'd love to eat more salad but I am awful about making any, and there are few places near me that sell good ones premade. I'll have to give it more thought. I hate cooking and food prep but I'll stumble onto something, I hope.

TTYL.
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Tilliesmommy1 Posts: 5,322 Member
    Good morning,

Lynn- "normal winter'"? So not as cold or snowy?? My cousin told me a story years ago they were living in Chicago during one of these arctic freezes and the first day it was above 0 and it was sunny the whole neighborhood came out and walked just to be in the sun and get outside....sounds like that may happen soon as well.

Tracy can you bowl on snow?? Sorry sick sense of humor. Stay as warm as you can, we would not know what to do in snow here and many people would lose heat/power.

Lana- how wonderful to send MIL a bday present and I am glad you stay on good terms with them.

Monster got her broom stick stuck somewhere and it effected her attitude. Power outages across the country means things like websites are down so our work was seriously hampered. Like this happens often, right? She was just "not pleased" that I "wasted my day" trying to do the work anyway. We are hoping for better connections online tomorrow.

Stay safe/warm and sane out there.
  • LanaCabana537
    8v2er5n6lov9.jpeg
    *** February 17th ***

Tracy - Sending gratitude to your daughter for working as an ICU nurse - nurses are the angels of our society.

Maureen - I hope that your travels go well and you find your salads 😁

Sara - Dang. Things get really bad when that broom stick gets all up in the wrong place. What a mess.

Waving to Lynn and Missy and Melissa and Oishii and Kathryn and Dawn and Runa and anyone else who stops by today 👋🏻

Lana
  • brennerjlb
    brennerjlb Posts: 720 Member
    Hello!
    Tracy - I echo the gratitude toward your nurse daughter!
    Sara - sorry to hear about the broomstick. And yes yesterday it was so sunny and in the 20's. Felt like a heat wave!
    Lana, Maureen, Missy, Melissa, Oishii, Kathryn, Dawn and Runa- HELLO. Hope you are all doing well!
    ~Lynn
  • mkculs13
    Hi, all. Sunny and 19--I went for a short jog. Streets were still icier than I had hoped, but it felt good to be moving again. Yes, Tracy, our "normal" winter in WI isn't dangerously cold--well, skin doesn't freeze in a few minutes. That's the crap the polar vortex brings. I am comfortable outside jogging even in -9, but at that temp with winds, or temps at -25, it's downright dangerous. We had one winter like that back in 1994, but there have been several already in the past decade. I may have missed a few between 2000 and 2010, but I remember all of them after that--because it was the first time I'd experienced school cancelled b/c of the cold. I've lived here since 1986.

AND FINALLY LEAVING! I am so glad to be putting such weather well behind me. It's one thing to have a horrible snap that lasts 2-3 days, but we have been getting 2 weeks or so of such weather. With the snow-and that's unusual, b/c it didn't used to snow much when really cold. The students had a saying, "too cold to snow." Not that the cold kept it from snowing, but such cold was typically also really dry, so if it was super cold, you expected it to be dry. Not lately. A year or two back, we missed 7 days of school b/c of the combined cold and snow. That is the result of climate change--the extremes.

Anyway, sticking to my eating plan and wondering if it really is a lifestyle change. I've been eating this way for almost a year now and it works for me to lose. I'm worried I'll get cocky once I get to goal weight. Still 40 lbs to go. Maybe I just need to get some more foods into rotation. I tend to get in a rut with what I know.

Stay warm and safe, wherever you are. This too shall pass.
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Good afternoon,

Sunny but cold wind.

Got a nice bar of dark chocolate from Secret Pal through church. It is a brand I have not tried...

Monster was explaining and perhaps not well why all of our production was so bad yesterday. I can almost see the eyes spinning.

Maureen change will be a good one. Keep up the good work and rotate in fruit/veg and that usually helps with tthe boredom.

Wishing all a good night. Stay safe and sane out there.
  • LanaCabana537
    lxwnt179cq6p.jpeg
    *** February 18th ***

Maureen - have safe and comfortable travels today. Congratulations on your weight-loss victories!

Sara - that is excellent advice about looking to our fruits and vegetables to give us variety with our go-to proteins and hopefully healthier starches.

I've been buying yukon gold potatoes to have instead of pasta or rice. Next grocery trip, I will have a look at the vast display of veggies and pick a couple that I have not had in a long while or ever.

*tossing self-help book and beach bag onto favorite lounge chair for later*

Lana
  • Twiley510
    Good morning, All!

Looks like we got close to 10 inches of snow. I think we're done. I hope we're done. Temperature is forecasted to be in the 50's on Sunday.

Thank you for all your well-wishes to my daughter. We made the trip this morning without incident. Streets are covered several inches deep because our city and our county both ran out of salt last week. They put sand and cinders at the most critical intersections for traction.

It will be interesting to see how road conditions change by the time I have to pick her up at 4 this afternoon.

Tracy in Tennessee
  • brennerjlb
    brennerjlb Posts: 720 Member
    Geesh!
    Had my whole update typed and bam my internet went down. LOL.
    Maureen - happy and safe travels! Hope this weather doesn't delay you.
    Tracy - happy shoveling :wink: 10 inches is a lot. But if 50 by Sunday it will disappear quick.
    Sara - how was the chocolate? I LOVE dark chocolate.
    Lana - I like potatoes. I think sometimes they get a bad rap. Enjoy!
    Have a great Thursday - weekend is almost here!

CW 194.4
    HW 207
    GW 189.

~Lynn
  • mkculs13
    Thanks for the kind thoughts. I’m stuck in Chicago for a very late departure now—more than a 3 hour delay. I am tired already. Oh, well. Can’t do anything about it. Wish I could sleep sitting up, though.

But nice weather will make it worth it.

Thinking of folks still cold and at risk in Tx. So unnecessary a situation. I hope people think twice about their priorities in the future.
  • Tilliesmommy1
    edited February 2021
    Good evening,

One of the new ladies at work is moving to VA to be closer to her family, so here we go again.... It just looks so bad for Monster.

Lynn, have not tried chocolate, but I think tonight is the night I open it. 3 boxes of GS cookies are still untouched which is pretty decent for me. ** chocolate update - decent chocolate and made in Indiana. Will have to go and check them out. Endangered Species chocolate.

Wishing all a good night, Stay safe and sane out there.
  • LanaCabana537
    b35ij5rzfnx2.jpeg
    *** February 19 ***

Sara - It is Friday for you! I hope that your day flies. Chocolate from Indiana sounds cool.

Maureen - I sure do hope you got out of Chicago last night. Check in when you can.

Tracy - I hope that all is going well with the weather. Things will be pretty messy once the temps go up and that snow melts. Be careful walking to & from wherever.

Lynn - You hold the fort up north, stay safe and dry!!

Runa - please check in. I heard Oklahoma had an earthquake? Oy!

Everyone please take good care of yourselves.

I myself will stay inside all day today; flight to NC is midday tomorrow.

Lana
  • Twiley510
    Good afternoon,

Lana, be sure you check your flight info. Even if you aren't going through Memphis, they might affect you. The airport had to cancel all flights today because of low water pressure.

Weather is beginning to break. Sunny yesterday and today. Main roads are all clear. Side roads, not so much. My brother tried to drive home from Texarkana last night. At one point west of Little Rock, he went 7 miles in 3.5 hours. He made it in sometime this morning.

We have been keeping the cats entertained by feeding birds on the back steps. In turn, this keeps me entertained watching the cats and the birds while I work at my desk. We have had two unusual visitors--a purple finch and a pine warbler. Neither Art or I had ever seen these birds before. He got some nice pictures.

I don't do any walking. I drive my daughter to work and drive back home. I did stop at the one station in the county that still had gas to top off my tank this morning. I was careful there.

Stores are critically low on some supplies since trucks can't get through. Hasn't been a problem for us--Preppers and borderline hoarders for the win! We have enough food for several weeks and alternate heat sources should they be needed. Even if we run out of bread, I have the supplies to make more.

Make the best choices you can in your situation.

Tracy in Tennessee
  • ladychr0nic
    ladychr0nic Posts: 127 Member
    Hello! Serial starter over here. I am looking for motivation! My first goal is to lose 25 lbs, then if that's achieved lose another 25lb. One step at a time. I just got a new puppy so that has been really motivating for getting outside and going for walks. I am already so much more active, and I'm loving it. I am trying to track a couple days in advance so that I know exactly what I'm eating. If anyone wants to add me as a friend for support, feel free!

CW: 218 GW: 170.
  • LanaCabana537

Tracy - I enjoyed reading your Tennessee report. Yes, I will be keeping an eye on my flight tomorrow. It is at 2PM from NYC straight to RDU. I'm hoping for the best.
    Sorry to hear about what your brother had to go through. Ugh.
    That is cool about your birds. I need to better educate myself. I've been seeing certain finches in my back yard that I just assumed were house finches, but maybe they are purple finches. Time to get out the Peterson book once I'm home.

Welcome to ladychr0nic - I like your idea of the small goals. What part of the country are you in? I hope you are warm and safe.

Lana
  • ladychr0nic
    ladychr0nic Posts: 127 Member
    LanaCabana, I'm from Vancouver, BC :) just prepped a whole bunch of healthy foods and put some motivation reminders around my house! Hopefully I can stick with it this time. This group seems great!
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Good afternoon,

Happy Friday, may have missed a delivery - we shall see at least I am near the phone again.

Very tired and hoping for a nap soon.

Wishing all a good night. Travel safe. Stay safe and sane out there.
  • LanaCabana537
    edited February 2021
    5btdw9u9ib0m.jpg
    *** February 20 ***

Good morning All~~

Boy did the scale look angry this morning. No exercise and plenty of Chinese leftovers will do that.
    Today I could clock up to 4 miles, since it is a travel day. 👍🏻

What is everybody doing today?

Lana