Ice cream

Good morning!! ☀️ my first week is done and I felt like I did really good! Yes I snuck in a few chocolates but the last two days I have been waking up at seven in the morning craving the worst possible!!! Ice cream, pizza, and soda. It’s not like I don’t have it in moderation to help me prevent having these cravings but this morning it’s really bad 😬😬😬

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,036 Member
    Time of the month perhaps? I usually get cravings around then, not so much otherwise since I have 'treat' food every day :smile:
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,515 Member
    Interesting time to crave sweets. But, in general, when I cut, I wake up hungry.

Morning is a good time to eat a balance of fats, carbs, and protein. Your protein could be Greek yogurt, your fats could be either full-fat yogurt or (my preferred) nuts (with non-fat yogurt), and your carb could include a grain of some kind (e.g., cereal) which could contain some sugar. Depending on how many calories you are budgeting for breakfast, you could add some berries. And, if it's no sweet enough from the cereal, you could add some sugar, honey, agave, maple, or molasses, all of which have interesting and different flavors.

There, it's a morning parfait! Maybe not ice cream, but still very good!
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Good morning!! ☀️ my first week is done and I felt like I did really good! Yes I snuck in a few chocolates but the last two days I have been waking up at seven in the morning craving the worst possible!!! Ice cream, pizza, and soda. It’s not like I don’t have it in moderation to help me prevent having these cravings but this morning it’s really bad 😬😬😬

Cravings happen, and you don't have to totally ignore them. You don't have to sneak -- just budget!

I've found that most thin crust pizza with moderate toppings work just fine in a calorie allotment - even Domino's pizza. (Dr. Otker's mushroom pizza is a frozen brand that's very low in calories and tastes great.)

Ice cream also has some great options. You can always go with the variety of high-protein low calories ice creams now available in stores (some are around 300 calories A PINT!) or get yourself a SpongeBob Squarepants ice pop (100 calories) at the local quickie mart, or just budget your favorite regular ice cream.

The first week to two weeks is tough. Your body is adjusting to the new norm. I'm glad you're having it in moderation!
  • derbygraham
    derbygraham Posts: 47 Member
    The trick is to stick to your daily calorie allowance. This allows you to eat whatever you like. My advise is eat smaller portions. For example one teaspoon of icecream may be enough to stop the craving.
  • AmunahSki
    AmunahSki Posts: 87 Member
    Have you tried homemade “Banana Ice Cream”? I was sceptical, but I made a batch when I had a lot of ripe bananas. It has the right mouthfeel, and it’s great for when you don’t have the calorie budget for the real thing:
    https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-creamy-ice-cream-with-just-one-ingredient-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-93414
    You could easily fit that into your breakfast! o:)

It’s also great for adding to those desserts that cry out for ice cream accompaniment... like this low fat apple pie:
    https://aseasyasapplepie.com/low-fat-apple-cake/

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,343 Member
    If you’re new, have you been too enthusiastic and cut your calories too low?

What’s your weight, height, activity level, and imitate weight goal. What calorie setting are you aiming for?

I’m usually dehydrated when I wake up. Dehydration can often mimic hunger symptoms. Try drinking a glass of water and waiting a few minutes and see if the pangs lessen.

I find that if I have a high protein breakfast it will help immensely, and can be low cal. An omelet, Chaffles (google them), or a regular favorite of grilled chopped seasoned chicken breast rolled in a carb smart tortilla with a handful of spinach or greens and some chopped tomatoes (294 calories incl 6oz chicken). This morning was leftover tomato soup with sliced Italian chicken sausage (299 calories).

To help with the ice cream cravings, I make simple smoothies with a lot of ice or frozen fruit, or a serving of Greek yogurt whipped with a serving of sugar free instant pudding. The lemon is awesome. Tastes like lemon mouse. If you need an ice creamy taste, add a few grams of a zero calorie Jordan’s Skinny Syrup to the mix, like waffle cone or chocolate mint.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    There are low calorie ice cream substitutes out there if you want to eat more ice cream volume while trying to stay in calorie limits. Halo Top, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,343 Member
    Oh and don’t forget sugar free fudgesicles at 40 calories each. For a quick hit of ice creamy goodness.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    Oh and don’t forget sugar free fudgesicles at 40 calories each. For a quick hit of ice creamy goodness.
    MMMMM. I'd eat at least 2 maybe 3.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lacatgirl
    lacatgirl Posts: 353 Member
    I save 115 calories every day to have a breyer's dixie cup with a dollop of redi-whip at night! Id rather do that than have fake ice cream like halo top. Somehow knowing I have that treat at days end allows me to stay on track during the day.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,430 Member
    edited February 2021
    If you're waking up with that craving, are you going too long between meals or being too aggressive with the calorie targets? It may be a shock to the system to try and immediately go to your longer term calorie deficit goal.

As some others have said, the key is portion control or substitution. If you're simply hungry and think you want the ice cream to sate that hunger, substitute with healthier snacks first. Even if you're at your calorie target for the day, if you must eat more then it's better to have a couple of healthy snacks than binge 1,000+ empty calories.

I get these Healthy Choice Fudge Bars from Costco. They're 100 calories each and taste great. They're quite filling too.

https://www.instacart.com/products/3308960-healthy-choice-organic-fudge-bar-54-oza
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    AmunahSki wrote: »
    Have you tried homemade “Banana Ice Cream”? I was sceptical, but I made a batch when I had a lot of ripe bananas. It has the right mouthfeel, and it’s great for when you don’t have the calorie budget for the real thing:
    https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-creamy-ice-cream-with-just-one-ingredient-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-93414
    You could easily fit that into your breakfast! o:)

It’s also great for adding to those desserts that cry out for ice cream accompaniment... like this low fat apple pie:
    https://aseasyasapplepie.com/low-fat-apple-cake/

With a good frozen dessert maker built expressly for the purpose, I make banana 'ice cream' fairly often - sometimes daily in the hot summer. Today's luncheon included a big bowl of banana/blackberry/strawberry - 130 calories. After making the switch to frozen banana desserts, I eat real ice cream only 3-4 times a year.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    re craving soda - you could try diet soda, next to no calories and if you satisfied your craving with that - problem solved :)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Protein fluff?