What foods are just not worth the # of calories?

1111213141517»

Replies

• greenlandgem
    greenlandgem Posts: 5 Member
    Crap pastries. If it isn't beautiful and buttery and gluteniferous and flaky and delicate - keep it. I can spend that 500cal elsewhere.
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Jaffa cakes. They're OK, but in terms of how full you feel, they're like eating air. Don't bother if you're hungry.

Pret sandwiches. I like their baguettes, but they start at 600 calories. I don't like them that much.

It makes me sad how many calories avocados have. I've found carrots and peppers to be better value for calories. And mushrooms, although I don't like them as much.

Gu cheesecakes/chilled deserts. They're, what, 350-400 for a tiny pot? I do like them, but I feel ripped off by the calories.
  • Vegetables-

I kid, I kid- kinda, I’d rather spend 60 calories on a TVs of nerds for my Greek yogurt then on a cup of veggies- but yea yea. I eat them
  • Tbs not TV of nerds. What the
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Vegetables-

I kid, I kid- kinda, I’d rather spend 60 calories on a TVs of nerds for my Greek yogurt then on a cup of veggies- but yea yea. I eat them

all about that balance!
  • elmusho1989
    elmusho1989 Posts: 321 Member
    Most store bought cookies. Now home made is a different story! 🍪
  • pancakerunner

eofsll5l1q15.png
    debate
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    ^these are not worth it...even if they didn't contain any calories.

My Mom's sugar cookies??...now they belong in the 'I don't care how many calories they have...worth it every time'!
  • elmusho1989
    Homemade peanut butter cookies... A sweet delicious calorie bomb....

Another one not worth it unless in moderation is avocado. I know its healthy but wow, the calories! I still eat them but not two at a time anymore!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited February 2021
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

My Mom's sugar cookies??...now they belong in the 'I don't care how many calories they have...worth it every time'!

Have you had them recently? I was going to say they are but then realize I haven't had them in over 10 years so I can't really judge, LOL. I need to buy some for testing purposes. :D
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    I'm going to float Florida Avocado out there for folks. It's a bigger fruit and the calories are WAY more reasonable even for the whole thing.

That said, some dumbass has trademarked them under 'slimcado' which offends me so make of that what you will.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member

Have you had them recently? I was going to say they are but then realize I haven't had them in over 10 years so I can't really judge, LOL. I need to buy some for testing purposes. :D

True enough...I too haven't had them for ages. But, they don't even look good though - I'm envisioning far too sweet icing and flavorless/dry/sweet cookie. 🤷‍♀️ I'm thinking the people that actually adore them are individuals that had them as kids - which I did not.
  • SouthWestLondon
    SouthWestLondon Posts: 134 Member
    Regular sliced bread - I can have a slice of that or I can have a small chocolate bar. The latter wins every time. Now, some fresh baked sourdough with butter - might be four times the calories of a slice of factory white bread, but worth it. Mostly I've just figured out ways to eat sandwich fillings without the bread.

Full fat fizzy drinks - diet fizzy drinks are nicer and none of the calories (though I keep them to weekends now because I think they make me crave other sweet things).

Rubbish doughnuts/pastries/cake - if I'm budgeting c400 calories for one item, it better be made in heaven! Dry, stale, bland baked goods need not apply.

Most crisps - twice the calories compared to a bag of maize-based snacks and usually not as nice. EXCEPT for Hunky Dorys (an Irish ridged crisp) that is the nicest crisp in the world and worth busting my calorie budget for when I can get them. Happily they're not easily to get hold of in the UK, so they are an occassional treat.
  • elmusho1989
    Oh hunky dorys are good! I feel the same way about shite Sliced pan bread but with cheese and onion taytos I would!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I'm going to float Florida Avocado out there for folks. It's a bigger fruit and the calories are WAY more reasonable even for the whole thing.

That said, some dumbass has trademarked them under 'slimcado' which offends me so make of that what you will.

I would try them (although I'm fine eating half an avocado at the time, and don't mind the calorie to delicious+nutrition tradeoff for that), but I don't think I've ever noticed them in the stores here, and we have a pretty good produce selection.
  • pancakerunner

you know what, I haven't had them since, like, a birthday party in fourth grade lol
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member

eofsll5l1q15.png
    debate

If I buy any grocery store cookie, it's these...

I still need to try the recipe for them in the BraveTart cookbook.
  • Spotteddingo
    Spotteddingo Posts: 95 Member
    Mayonaise
    Cheese
    Nuts

I used to eat sammies with mayo and cheese all the time, willy nilly. Now that I know what they cost calorie wise, I opt for meat( turkey usually) rolled up with horseradish sauce and a dill pickle stacker. I really enjoy my food more, now, because I make everything with intention.
  • pancakerunner
    Mayonaise
    Cheese
    Nuts

I used to eat sammies with mayo and cheese all the time, willy nilly. Now that I know what they cost calorie wise, I opt for meat( turkey usually) rolled up with horseradish sauce and a dill pickle stacker. I really enjoy my food more, now, because I make everything with intention.

I am with you on mayo... not sure what it even adds to sandwiches?