How do you deal with hunger?

Options
124»

Replies

• elmusho1989
    elmusho1989 Posts: 321 Member
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I don't. I'm bad at being hungry. I get hangry lol. Regular small-medium meals with sugar free soda and hot chocolate for treats while I'm in a deficit. Lots of tea and coffee. Little bit of cookies and chocolate sometimes. Just the lighter side of moderation.

Being hungry makes me binge so it's a no go for me. I eat constantly. I've lost 18 pounds so far.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I eat....
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    4Phoenix wrote: »
    @dancingMoosie....eggplant is great as long as you don't bake/fry it in oil!

Unfortunately, that is the only way I like eggplant :(

I think it's a texture thing. Sufficient oil changes the texture enough.

I like mushroom flavor but not texture, so I cook with them and then pick them out and give them to my OH.

Have you tried mushroom powder (can pulverize dried ones in a blender or food processor, since some of the commercial powders are salty or seasoned)?

Sorry, off topic: Mushroom powder is tasty, but not especially filling, except in pasta sauce with lots of nice tomatoes and lentils and the right seasonings.

@AnnPT77: Can you recommend a brand of mushroom powder / dried mushrooms? I once got some dried shrooms from a clearance sort of store and they were terrible.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,039 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    4Phoenix wrote: »
    @dancingMoosie....eggplant is great as long as you don't bake/fry it in oil!

Unfortunately, that is the only way I like eggplant :(

I think it's a texture thing. Sufficient oil changes the texture enough.

I like mushroom flavor but not texture, so I cook with them and then pick them out and give them to my OH.

Have you tried mushroom powder (can pulverize dried ones in a blender or food processor, since some of the commercial powders are salty or seasoned)?

Sorry, off topic: Mushroom powder is tasty, but not especially filling, except in pasta sauce with lots of nice tomatoes and lentils and the right seasonings.

@AnnPT77: Can you recommend a brand of mushroom powder / dried mushrooms? I once got some dried shrooms from a clearance sort of store and they were terrible.

I have one kind of powder, that's intended as a seasoning, has salt, plus has a little bit of dried chile pepper and thyme (bottom of ingredient list). That's tasty, smells good, but very salty. Brand is Nom Nom Paleo, called Magic Mushroom Powder. It's a small red-labeled tin, and I think I got it in the general region of spices at Whole Foods.

I have, but haven't opened or tried, a bottle of Trader Joe's Mushroom & Company Multipurpose Umami Seasoning Blend, which was highly recommended to me by others. It also has salt high on the ingredient list, plus red peppers, black pepper, onions, mustard seed and thyme.

I do like actual mushrooms, so use fresh ones most. For ground, to add flavor to pasta sauce and whatnot, I've used Forest brand, and Melissa's brand, and was satisfied with them, but don't have a clear enough memory to give a review. I think I may've bought some in the bulk section of my local health-food-ish store previously, too. The ones I have now are Forest Porcini and Portabella. They smell a little off-putting dry, truthfully, but taste fine powdered and cooked in a dish, to add some richness. The type of mushroom will affect flavor a lot, as well as maybe brand/source. I pulverize them to powder in a small food processor. They need to be really dry, so if it's humid they can go in the oven (or in the microwave if watched carefully) to dry fully. Another option is to rehydrate and make a slurry (could do that with fresh, probably, but I never have).

Experimenting might be a good idea, if you're brave, to see what you like. The bags are usually small, but can be somewhat pricey depending on type. Bulk sections are a good way to try a little, but not very available during pandemic, of course.