New Member & Excited To Be Here!

Hi Everybody! I am looking forward to the beginning (middle, and end) of my weight loss journey and being inspired by others sharing similar goals! :)<3

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,945 Member
    Welcome to the beginning!

What are your goals? That will help people know if theirs are similar.

What strategies are you developing to reach those goals?
  • BethCW2963
    BethCW2963 Posts: 57 Member
    I am 58 yrs old and I currently weigh 320 pounds (this is currently an educated guess since I still need to purchase scales, but last weigh-in I was 301 pounds and I know I have gained some since then) and I am nearly bedridden.

My short-term goals are to follow my recommended myfitness pal nutrition and exercise suggestions, lose 1 to 2 pounds per week, exercise 4-5 days per week with both cardiovascular and strength training, stop drinking alcohol (have a horrible daily beer habit) and drink lots of water instead.

My long-term goals are to reach 175 pounds (whew) and have the metabolic age of a 40-45 year old (double whew). I am in need of a double hip replacement and would like to be able to have this done but definitely need to be in much better shape. I also want to treat my severe depression naturally with healthy eating and exercise, rather than continuing to take a bunch of medication.

I started this journey 1-1/2 weeks ago and am successfully following my short-term goals! I am super determined!

Thanks to everyone who has read my story! :)<3
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Wow - you have really put a lot of thought into this, congratulations on making such a positive start.

:flowerforyou:

PS
    There's a wealth of good information in the Must Read threads pinned to the top of the various forums which are well worth a read.
  • lrkaalverink
    lrkaalverink Posts: 1 Member
    hey welcome
  • elmusho1989
    elmusho1989 Posts: 321 Member
    Welcome! 😊
  • f1tjo10
    f1tjo10 Posts: 7 Member
    Wish you all the best! :)
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,945 Member
    @BethWallace1

You may not realize it, but you're already doing really good. So many people that join MFP don't have such well thought out goals or a realistic approach to reaching them. Congratulations for taking this seriously AND thinking about long term not a short fix. I've seen plenty of people start out too quick, get frustrated either because it wears them out or they have one small speed bump along the way. I feel so sorry for them when they give up.

I don't think you're going to give up. I hope you don't. Take it slow and steady, and as the weight comes off, you probably already know you'll need to go through the goal setting exercise again. It takes less energy to move a smaller body around. That means you'll end up with fewer calories, and yes that's tough.

Then the good news - when you get closer, you can slow down the loss rate, and that lets you add a few calories back.

Exercise can do great things for our mental state. I hope you find relief from it. It also can help with weight loss, but most of that comes from what goes between the lips.

Yay!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,344 Member
    Hi, Beth. 👋🏻 from another 58 year old female.

Been there done that with much of what you’re fixing to go through. Though, don’t like the words “go through”. It’s not a trial or a punishment. It’s more like relearning food and behavior.

Please feel free to reach out if there’s anything I can do to help.

You’ve just been accepted into an awesome, awesome club. There’s some wonderful folks here and much useful info.

This group might be of interest to you:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/133315-larger-losers
  • BethCW2963
    BethCW2963 Posts: 57 Member
    Thank you, everyone, for such a warm welcome! <3