What diet plan are you following or Using with MFP - Is it working for you

Replies

• mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Same as many. I follow just a calorie deficit and aim for the smallest deficit so that it’s easy to maintain.
    I aim for higher protein and with that it seems I tend to fall in a higher protein/ carb group then fat, I don’t pay attention to fat or carbs though- it just happens to be where I fall with the foods I choose and enjoy.

Thank you for sharing calorie deficit seems to workout for many people, I am beginning to see a trend. Have a nice day.
  • mpkpbk2015
    HelenWater wrote: »
    I’m following a 5:2 plan that is basically maintenance on the Mediterranean diet 5 days, and two days in a row cutting carbs to 50g/ day and calories to 1,000/day. The diet is put together by a nutritionist and a cancer researcher. For me I think it will make it easier to transition to maintaining my weight loss over the long term.

https://www.penguin.co.uk/articles/2019/feb/why-the-2-day-diet-works.html

Thanks for sharing the link and your insight. Glad it is working for you. Have a great day. Today is my first day at goal so I am looking forward to being able to maintain now that I've gotten here. I know it will be hard, but it was hard getting here in the first place. But I am in it for the long haul.
  • mpkpbk2015
    sijomial wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »
    mpkpbk2015 wrote: »
    I lost my weight with the 5:2 eating pattern eating the foods I enjoy in a sensible weekly deficit.
    Logged my food and made sure I hit a sensible protein goal.

Maintained long term without food logging but being mindful of my calorie, protein and carb needs as a high volume exerciser (fat looks after itself). If I hit my upper weight limit I nibble off calories in a fairly erratic way to make it as easy as possible including a slow overall rate of loss.

What I eat hasn't really changed as that wasn't the problem as my diet has always been good, just needed to adjust the quantity.

Thanks for the insight so is it 5 proteins to 2 carbs in this pattern?

No - 5:2 is 2 days of very low calorie and 5 days at maintenance. Back in the day this was called zig-zagging your calories. You can break up your calorie deficit however you want.

Macros will matter in that you want to stay full longer. Protein (IMO) for any calorie restriction should be looked upon as a minimum. Always get your protein in.

Here's a group - https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-life-in-the-fast-lane

Mosely is a publicist (sells lots of diet books) ......so don't take the "documentary" too seriously.

Agree with the bolded, his book is full of references to studies but when you check the studies they are often taken out of context or significance is exaggerated.
    Form an opinion and then look for data to support that opinion rather than examine data to form an opinion....
    I just view 5:2 as one of many ways to manage your calories.

Thank you - good advice.
  • Jennliftsandspins
    Jennliftsandspins Posts: 150 Member
    I was doing Noom and it helped tremendously but I did it for a year and the articles became repetitive. Rather than continue logging there I made the switch to MFP as the database is much better. I still follow the psychological principles of Noom though no longer subscribe.

But it is basically calories in vs calories out, exercise regularly, eat healthy, whole foods and avoid processed foods.
  • mpkpbk2015
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I lost my weight with the 5:2 eating pattern eating the foods I enjoy in a sensible weekly deficit.

Maintained long term without food logging but being mindful of my calorie, protein and carb needs as a high volume exerciser (fat looks after itself). If I hit my upper weight limit I nibble off calories in a fairly erratic way to make it as easy as possible including a slow overall rate of loss.

What I eat hasn't really changed as that wasn't the problem as my diet has always been good, just needed to adjust the quantity.

No - 5:2 is 2 days of very low calorie and 5 days at maintenance. Back in the day this was called zig-zagging your calories. You can break up your calorie deficit however you want.

Macros will matter in that you want to stay full longer. Protein (IMO) for any calorie restriction should be looked upon as a minimum. Always get your protein in.

Here's a group - https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-life-in-the-fast-lane

Mosely is a publicist (sells lots of diet books) ......so don't take the "documentary" too seriously.

Thank you I will take a look at the link and keep in mind your advice. Appreciate you taking the time to explain what 5:2 is many people mentioned I guess assuming I knew what it was. Thanks again.
  • mpkpbk2015

No it's eating at maintenance calories five days a week and two days with a very restricted calorie intake (roughly one quarter of maintenance level). Made switching to maintenance very easy as that level felt entirely normal.
    But it doesn't suit many people and there's some groups of people best advised not to do it.
    Overall more of a niche method which suits a few and could be hateful for many.

Thank you - sounds like it's worth looking into. I will never know unless I check it out.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    I did this process to lose:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

. . . then kept the same eating patterns for maintenance, just added calories to stabilize weight. I've wandered up and down for 5+ years within the healthy weight range (which I'd call maintenance), after about 3 decades of obesity before that, so it's working OK for me.

The link is basically a process for gradually remodeling one's eating to balance calories, nutrition, satiation, energy, practicality, and other factors, while eating foods one enjoys.
  • mpkpbk2015
    karinkane2 wrote: »
    Basically Meditteranean & intermittent fasting. No sugar, no refined carbs (bread, pasta, crackers, etc). Lots of olive oil and avocados, vegetables, greens, lentils, quinoa, etc. I haven't been focused on calories, but have noticed that I typically end up with about 50-60% of each day's calories coming from fat, maybe 20-30% protein, the rest carbohydrate. I lost 10 lbs in about a month. Rarely feel hungry or deprived.

Tracking really helps though. I stopped for a few weeks and suddenly it was a lot easier to sneak in a cookie or many, big bowls of popcorn, lots and lots of cheese, etc. When I make myself track those things they seem a lot less tasty!

I agree tracking really helps keep me on the straight and narrow. It's hard to cheat when I have to write everything down and it's staring back at me. Today is my first day at goal been trying to get here since May 2018. So thanks for your insight. Have a great week.
  • mpkpbk2015
    I didn't follow any kind of "plan" other than eating less of what I already ate.

I think it depends on personality...some people like being told, "eat this...don't eat that". I don't like rules, I don't like being told anything is "forbidden", and I like flexibility in what I eat.

Plus, you have to anticipate a transition to maintenance. If you're following a "plan" just while loosing weight, what's going to happen when you stop? You have to be prepared to make changes you can live with for the rest of your life.

I've been maintaining my weight for several years, and I still eat less than I did when I was overweight. But, I don't feel deprived because I'm still eating what I want to eat, and how I like to eat. I'm just mindful of the portions.

Congrats on being able to maintain for several years and not feel deprived. I appreciate your insights and sharing. Thanks and have a great week. I use portion control to help me be successful too.
  • mpkpbk2015
    MsCzar wrote: »
    Just basic CICO here with 70 lb/32kg gone since May 2020.

I log everything at MFP faithfully - with scant exceptions around the holidays where I stopped logging foods after 2800 cals on a few feast-y days.

I set my MFP calories at 1000 - knowing I will generally overshoot that by 200-300. The 1000 is just a mental thing that helps me plan my meals. So my 'real' goal is 1200 calories... but there is usually a day or two each week where I eat 1300-1500. I take two meals between 10am-6pm, eating nothing after dinner except plain hot tea. Most days I exercise at least 30 minutes on the rebounder (mini-trampoline).

With only 1200-1300 daily calories, I choose nutritious, flavourful, filling foods. I rarely feel hungry or deprived. Nothing is off the menu and I make room in my calorie budget for candy and desserts when the mood hits me.

Congrats on your 70 pound loss, I finally reached my goal today since May 2018 so I am moving on to maintaining. I faithfully log to except when I am sick or the day gets away from me. I love my green tea just before bed.
    I am impressed 70 pounds in less than a year you are doing great. As I said I just loss pound 100 today and I am really excited. Have a great week and thanks for sharing.
  • mpkpbk2015
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I did this process to lose:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

. . . then kept the same eating patterns for maintenance, just added calories to stabilize weight. I've wandered up and down for 5+ years within the healthy weight range (which I'd call maintenance), after about 3 decades of obesity before that, so it's working OK for me.

The link is basically a process for gradually remodeling one's eating to balance calories, nutrition, satiation, energy, practicality, and other factors, while eating foods one enjoys.

Thank you for the link - as I begin my maintenance journey today - it will be a good read I would like to be able to say five years from now that I have maintained that long. I have restricted so long it would be nice to have some tips on eating foods one enjoys.
  • mpkpbk2015
    I was doing Noom and it helped tremendously but I did it for a year and the articles became repetitive. Rather than continue logging there I made the switch to MFP as the database is much better. I still follow the psychological principles of Noom though no longer subscribe.

But it is basically calories in vs calories out, exercise regularly, eat healthy, whole foods and avoid processed foods.

I have eliminated most processed food from my eating plan. And logging keeps me on the straight and narrow because I can look back and account for any gain which works for me. Thanks for sharing.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    No specific diet/plan other than I eat consistent with my own understanding of good nutrition. I often tend to eat lower carb but not because I am following a specific low carb plan, but just because for me that's an easy way to cut that follows my preferences.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    edited February 2021
    I love my green tea just before bed.

Me too! Except I have a large cup of green tea every day shortly after dinner. If I had it before bed, I'd be making trips to the bathroom all night! 😁

Congrats on the Big 1-0-0! That is my goal as well.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    I don't follow a specific diet, but rather focus on hitting a certain amount of protein, fiber, veggies/fruits and *try* to limit added sugar (although am not as focused on that as I probably "should" be for overall health/inflammation). I try to include some foods that follow a Mediterranean-style diet, which is not a weight-loss style of diet but for overall health. I do things like sub in whole-wheat or brown rice alternatives, but not always. I always leave room for treats and indulgences within my budget, and make adjustments where necessary.

When trying to lose weight, I follow these same principles but eat at a slight calorie deficit.
  • FitAgainBy55
    FitAgainBy55 Posts: 179 Member
    I don't follow any specific diet or any specific fitness plan.

I read a lot, I read nutrition and fitness studies, I watch a lot of youtube video on fitness. Some make sense to me, some raise red flags when it's obvious they are selling something.

I do believe in learning from others, but I listen to my body and then create my own plans based on what is best for me.

Currently, my plan is eating mostly whole foods, plenty of healthy fats, not a lot of simple carbs but nothing is off limits. I work out as often as I can -- hopefully 6 days per week -- but when life happens I let it happen and I move on with no guilt and never look back. I eat whole foods when I can but when life happens I eat what is available and move on with no guilt and never look back.

I know that one missed workout -- or even 4 like last week -- isn't the end of the world. I know that a night with my closest of friends eating and drinking isn't the end of the world. Having been successful at this for 5+ years I know the key to success is not any one day, it's what you do the other days. It's not about a single event, it's about the averages.
  • mpkpbk2015
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    No specific diet/plan other than I eat consistent with my own understanding of good nutrition. I often tend to eat lower carb but not because I am following a specific low carb plan, but just because for me that's an easy way to cut that follows my preferences.

Thank you I think the key is being consistent. Have a good night.
  • mpkpbk2015
    I don't follow any specific diet or any specific fitness plan.

I read a lot, I read nutrition and fitness studies, I watch a lot of youtube video on fitness. Some make sense to me, some raise red flags when it's obvious they are selling something.

I do believe in learning from others, but I listen to my body and then create my own plans based on what is best for me.

Currently, my plan is eating mostly whole foods, plenty of healthy fats, not a lot of simple carbs but nothing is off limits. I work out as often as I can -- hopefully 6 days per week -- but when life happens I let it happen and I move on with no guilt and never look back. I eat whole foods when I can but when life happens I eat what is available and move on with no guilt and never look back.

I know that one missed workout -- or even 4 like last week -- isn't the end of the world. I know that a night with my closest of friends eating and drinking isn't the end of the world. Having been successful at this for 5+ years I know the key to success is not any one day, it's what you do the other days. It's not about a single event, it's about the averages.

I try to learn as much as I can, as they say knowledge is power. The more I know the better I can be prepared. And your right it's not about 1 event it;s about the averages over time. Appreciate your insight.
  • mpkpbk2015

Me too! Except I have a large cup of green tea every day shortly after dinner. If I had it before bed, I'd be making trips to the bathroom all night! 😁

Thank you now that I lost all that weight I don't have an overactive bladder I can drink right up till I go to bed and not wake up to go until the morning. Good luck on your journey to the big 100. We should start a 100's club.
  • chiddss
    chiddss Posts: 14 Member
    Another who began on WW/SW but got fed up with the points/syns system. I'm just sticking to under 1400kcal or so per day. I've only been doing it for a week or so but already feeling good and not deprived at all.