WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2021

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Machka: I had a backpack during my teaching years, and also a school bag. I took graded papers and such back & forth to school in the school bag. The back pack was for hiking and walks in the woods or on the beach. Later I used the backpack as my carry on “luggage” when flying. :star:

Allie: I hope that you have a restful evening after your three walks and PT. :smiley: I share Michele’s point of view regarding Tom. He doesn’t have to retire, he wants to retire. He should continue to pay you as he has already been doing since he initiated the divorce. :flowerforyou:

We are scheduled for our first Covid vaccinations tomorrow or the next day. I hope they follow through. Supposedly they will call us to set the appointment. They’ve already warned us that the vaccine might not be shipped here on time. I am frustrated and sad at this "maybe and maybe not" process. :grumble:

On a brighter note, our adult children have already had their first inoculations.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    :)Katla, I know how you feel about the vaccine. Even though I had an appointment, I couldn't believe that it would really happen until it did.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited February 2021

So it has got me wondering ... I've been wearing backpacks for 25+ years ... what do other women use to transport stuff to work and back??
    Machka in Oz

I used a backpack from middle school thru grad school. Transitioned to tote bags of various sizes during my working years. During my time as a SAHM with 2 small kids I had a diaper bag or a large purse. Went back to a backpack for when I travelled. Carrying essentials, electronics, medications and change of clothes. Since we haven't travelled in a bit I kinda miss using it!! 😁

Cheri
    🎈🌹❤️
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    So I bought a handbag today which looks something like this (below) and I think the Product Dimensions are:24(H) x 36(W) x 13(D) cm. It looks like it might be big enough for me to carry my rolled-up rain jacket and lunch. But it is smaller than the backpack I was using up till this week.

I got it on sale for $25 so it isn't a huge outlay if it doesn't work ... but it looks like it might.

I think the really small backpack is just a bit too small and means I have to carry another bag or something for lunch and rain jacket.

vsoc3tuoopsu.png

I have used backpacks for school, travelling and everything! I have dress handbags for going to the symphony and things like that and very small crossbody bags for phone and keys/passes but until now, those have been my choices.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    V -- I'm getting there!

1ytgh5vypjzz.png
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,618 Member
    B)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    o:)<3>:)
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,463 Member
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: livestream church, council meeting zoom.
    Bonus: 28 mins vacuuming, call P.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, Ansar? And cognitive tests, call S, call C, call R, start taxes, fire district: minutes, input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, call Credit union re: credit card, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; FM Cu, watch STAS Day 20, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Do Your Thing, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, call Wild Rivers (541 247 3514) for dog wash/nail trim appointments.
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan next year’s garden, wishlist replenishments,
    Friendly February:
    22: Give sincere compliments to people you talk to today: Easy to do strolling/lunching with C,D & T.

Katla Keeping fingers crossed you get the call tomorrow. We have heard absolutely nothing.
    Allie Hope it wouldn’t cost a lot to alert your divorce lawyer that Tom is going to court to reduce your alimony, Might be a protective investment. Like Kim, Flea and others said, some libraries have streaming options. Listening to music or mediation can help with sleep and pain management.
    Okie losing power to our water pump is one of my fears. Joe has the generator setup for the refrigerator but getting power to our pump would be a challenge in its current configuration. Hope you can get yours fixed soon!
    Tracey like your idea of a map of our general locations. Love the colors in your diamond dotz project and really admire your patience.
    Michele what you and Katla said to Allie about Tom’s choice to retire. Spot on.

Too sleepy to walk or talk more.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    February: leaner/stronger/kinder than January.
    daily: sit with Joe: 21, weigh/wii: 20/16/43; steps>5627=7554, vits=19, log=20, CI<CO=16, CI<250<CO=11, Tumble=15 Shadow=15 mfp=20 outside=12 up hill=11
    wkly: BB&B,T’ai Chi or SWSY x3= rx=2 dance=1 clean 60 mins=1.75 packwalk=3, wt=1/31:141.3 2/7:142  2/14: 143:3 :cry: 141.5 141.5 2/21: 2/28
    mnthly: board mtg=1, grant=5 , 21 plan= bonus: AF=10 play=17 sew= waist=42.5
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Catching up, many many pages behind but had to comment on RV Rita's post :D:D My birthday is in March and it is so true - "Somehow makes more mess" :D I try very hard to be tidy, but it does not come easy !

Viv York UK <3
  • Machka9
    Cycling on Sunday ... me and the view from the top. :)

lrb4qfzg4n1z.png

d4s1xear8lco.png

Machka in Oz
  • BethCW2963
    BethCW2963 Posts: 57 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Cycling on Sunday ... me and the view from the top. :)

lrb4qfzg4n1z.png

d4s1xear8lco.png

Machka in Oz

What beautiful photos! You look so happy and that fills me with joy. :)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    :)Allie, I don't think Tom can reduce your alimony when he retires any more than he can tell the landlord (or bank) to reduce his rent/mortgage payment.

<3 Barbie
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Morning ladies
    Ugh i didn't sleep well at all last night.. gosh I wish i could get into some sort of routine so that I can sleep..
    I am up and dressed and watching cooking shows..will go out and do my walk in the hall.. and will do my PT.. this will be the only way i will get better..im so impatient and want to feel better sooner and have to learn how to relax.. at night I try and do relaxation exercises and deep breathing ,and visualize my scar being healed from the inside out..
    When Tom was here yesterday he is planning on retiring next year and said he jas an attorney set ,as he wont be able to afford to pay me what he is paying in alimony then. He has to pay me until im 68.. we didnt get into it to much just trying to get better.

Allie, it sounds like you are getting better, and you are doing everything to do so.

Do you have a lawyer? I know that you need to get better, but presumably a lawyer could help you take care of this in your place. I sister (stay at home mom for a few years) ended up hiring a lawyer and friend too. It costs, but might well be worth it in the long run if possible.
    My friend, said it was great to have a lawyer because that way they didn't have to get into that stuff. She's day to her ex : "talk to my lawyer." and they could stick to dealing with family or personal business as needed. She said it gave her great peace of mind. Maybe you don't have to deal with this at present. I don't know how it is there. Here, when you get official (written) notice of something, you have a certain time in which to respond. Not to worry you more, but good lawyer provokes the opposite of worrying: someone highly competent and caring taking care of our butt, so we don't have to alone. I mean Tom needs x and you need y and the law might not have precisely the same point of view as Tom.
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)
    :)Allie, I gather from your posts that you are not a reader. Reading is what helped me weather the long recovery from my back surgery in 2016 and my back injury in 2018 when I had to spend so much time inactive.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

On reading to recover I tend to like a mix of books. I actually tend to read much more non-fiction than fiction. When I was really ill I couldn't read hard stuff. it made me nauseous! So, a good but light novel or short story was optimum! When I was a kid when ill my mom would buy me an Archie comic book or two.(but not more!)

She said when I was getting bored it was that I was getting better.

Heather I love that series! I have gone through it twice with little problem (I skipped over a bit or two). It's rated as one of the top series on Netflix. It's nice for the French, who have pride in their movie culture but are largely, understandably, overshadowed by English speaking movies. Regardless it's a fun series. Apparently the roles of agents is rather realistic and the rôle of actors is pretty exaggerated. (a bit on the humoristic side).

• spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Been for a 3 mile walk, lovely weather, sun shining. Part of walk is past a golf course so lots of birdsong. Lots of spring flowers in gardens.

PM is holding news conference this evening to tell us how we get out of lockdown. Of course we already know, news is full of it, will be very slow.

Kate UK ❤️
  • bananasandoranges
    Packbacks I used to get another brand, but not I get east pack day pack backpacks cause they are everywhere, even in France : light, sometimes on sale.
    My last one was gray brown. To change it up I got a tropical print one. it's a bit over the top almost in mid winter (now past). I think I'd go for the classical option as well. They have a big volume and are very light. I like the bags you guys posted though. They are more pretty.
    I walk quite a bit with my bag, so comfort is key.

I also have something like this but in black that I usually only use when travelling (go for a short hike with small water bottle, wallet, notebook... but of late I've used it a few times when going for my daily walk (wallet, note book, datebook) that way I take a break in a park (or cemetery!) and take notes and look at the day's plans.
  • bananasandoranges
    11.5 pomidoros today I think! I started close to 6am and had some breaks, one at about 9ish for walk and coffee, and one at about 2ish for lunch. I can't look at writing any more.

I need to get 2.5 more pomidoros in today. not sure what I'll do. I might look through some literature.

I also have to so some editing stuff for union stuff ! :o but it's collective and a bit less hard. different anyway!
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 929 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Machka - backpacks are a big source of prolonged injury. They don’t recommend them for children anymore.

Tracey in Edmonton

I didn't use a backpack as a child ... I used a duffle bag. But here, I see small children wearing backpacks that are almost as big as they are and I really wonder ...

I've been thinking about it, and I've probably used a backpack for the past 25+ years. Since about the mid-1990s. I've had some large ones stuffed with text books ... I recall a time going to university where the only way I could get into my backpack was to hoist it onto a higher surface and then put it on and stagger forward to start walking. They've been so big and heavy I have not been able to crouch and pick something up or I'd topple over.

In recent years, I have started to downsize. The backpack I just "retired" was a largish child's backpack. The one I'm trialling now is about 1/3 that size - a small leather one.

However it does present a problem. I can't put a rolled up rain jacket in it, or my lunch.

So it has got me wondering ... I've been wearing backpacks for 25+ years ... what do other women use to transport stuff to work and back??

Machka in Oz

I ordered a small backpack to carry my "winter eating outdoors" kit. It carries a small blanket, fleece gloves, a hoodie, a beanie, and a my wallet and phone. In order to get one small enough, I ordered a "toddler" backpack and it looks far too big for a toddler. I think they make them so big because they are expected to carry books and even books for young kids are too big to be carried around.

I think one like Flea's, while very nice, will just cause issues in your upper back/shoulder over the long haul because it puts you out of balance, and the time you have it on you is considerable. For me, it's from the car to the building or in extreme cases, lugged around at Disneyland for a day.

For the time and distance you travel, I really think a backpack is your best choice. Alternatively, a crossbody sling pack might work, but you'll have to keep switching it from side to side.

Just an opinion from someone who used to commute by train and foot a lot and tried all kinds of things.

Tina in CA
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Good day all!

Cheri
    TX
    🔵💛🟠💜😁
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 929 Member
    One edit to my bag comment: When I generally was crossing pavement of some sort, I used a rolling bag. It definitely took the pressure off my shoulders and back, but it doesn't work for gravel, dirt, rough surfaces and is a pain for stairs (going upstairs on the train, for example), but that was only a very short distance.