My Slim Fast diet

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    That 1200 or 1500 calorie number is not absolute -- you can change it.

While you can't control your BMR (driven by your age, height, weight -- for today), you are completely in control of your TDEE each day (based on how much you move.)

I'm short for a guy and older (54). Maintenance for my current stats is 1,911. I'm eating ~2000 calories per day and losing over 1 - 1.5 lbs per week. How am I able to do that ? I'm not sedentary. Want a bigger budget, move more.

Yes, a few years back at Thanksgiving a guest marveled at my skinny 81 year old mother's "metabolism" when she saw how much she was eating. Her size has nothing to do with her metabolism - she is super active, sometimes skips meals, and eats a lot of foods that are low calorie dense / high volume.
    I'm notorious for gorging at family parties. Our parties are usually at least 6 hours long and I'm around food almost that whole time. I always get "how can you eat that much and still not have a fat belly?" I'll usually put away 4,000 to 5,000 cals that day. No matter how many times I repeat the answer, my family seems to think I eat that way all the time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

And this brings me back to my original comment that it's a marathon, not a sprint...
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Personally, I like the "Slim slow" plan myself. And it's free.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Good plan...we agree...
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    PixieKazza wrote: »
    End of week 1. Lost 3lbs. Managed a couple of yoga and cardio workouts as well as a 50min walk most lunchtimes. Weather is improving and evenings are getting lighter so hoping to get out for longer walks after work soon. Spring is on it's way :-)

Yay...I think nearly everyone's ready for spring this year...time for some green and warm weather! I'm ready to get out and ride my bicycle!
    Congrats on your week 1 loss, OP.
  • PixieKazza
    PixieKazza Posts: 48 Member

Yay...I think nearly everyone's ready for spring this year...time for some green and warm weather! I'm ready to get out and ride my bicycle!
    Congrats on your week 1 loss, OP.

Thank you, it's a good start :-) hope you manage to get out on your bike soon!
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    How does using shakes eliminate the need to calorie count every meal?
    I think logging your food is essential, at least until you have a good rhythm and are getting the results you expect.

A lot of people use protein or other shakes to hit their goals, I would suggest just not to overdo it. I like to keep some protein bars or shakes handy, they prevent me from doing fast food in a pinch when I have nothing else prepared.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    Theo166 wrote: »
    How does using shakes eliminate the need to calorie count every meal?
    I think logging your food is essential, at least until you have a good rhythm and are getting the results you expect.

A lot of people use protein or other shakes to hit their goals, I would suggest just not to overdo it. I like to keep some protein bars or shakes handy, they prevent me from doing fast food in a pinch when I have nothing else prepared.

To be fair calories count for weight loss but it's not essential for everyone to count calories. I could quite easily lose weight these days without calorie counting but I log to review satiety, macro ratios and to monitor for symptoms of reflux.

OP is not new to calorie counting so probably has a reasonable enough grasp of what her calorie intake by now.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    I have no interest in trying Slimfast.

Or diet peanut butter cups.

But why would it be a bad habit to have a diet peanut butter cup rather than grapes and cheese if that is what you want and it fits into your plan?

More nutritional value in the grapes and chees perhaps?
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    I have no interest in trying Slimfast.

Or diet peanut butter cups.

But why would it be a bad habit to have a diet peanut butter cup rather than grapes and cheese if that is what you want and it fits into your plan?

More nutritional value in the grapes and chees perhaps?

well, sure, I guess there is - I'm not quite sure what is in diet peanut butter cups or their nutritional value.

But I dont see it as a bad habit to have a very low in nutrition snack, say a small cake or chocolate bar, if it is what you want and it fits your goals either.

For someone on a fairly low calorie diet the cake or chocolate bar, due to the poor nutritional value, is a very "occasional" snack. The cheese and grapes would be something that could be enjoyed more frequently.