What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Roasted potatoes (chopped skin on, tossed with olive oil + salt (or roasted with a chicken to absorb some of the rendered fat) and maybe garlic or rosemary > mashed > baked (I'm just not as fond of russet potatoes > chips.

Where fries fit depend on the fries (as they vary a lot) and whether I'm in the mood for them.

The only kind of potato I have regularly are the roasted ones or ones in soup or stew.

Also, for some reason lately: turnips>celeriac>potatoes>sweet potatoes. I've been subbing turnips when I might otherwise use potatoes.

well put. I agree on the french fries.
  • pancakerunner
    coming from the ice cream thread... I do NOT like cookie dough ice cream!
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member

Curious - do you just not like cookie dough?
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Ooo yeah, is that unpopular? I don't like cookie dough anything.
    As someone who used to lick the spoon when my mom would make cookies, the weird little chunks they put in ice cream and other things just tastes really fake and not good.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

Not sure about @pancakerunner but I love cookie dough, just don't like it in my ice cream. I feel like the texture doesn't go well and it makes the cookie dough so cold I can't even really taste it. Most have chocolate chips and I hate chocolate chips in my ice cream. I am not a fan of plain vanilla ice cream either.

Unless its like a small bit of soft serve topped with tons of big fresh chunks of cookie dough.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    I don't like oranges. Too much work to eat and I hate the fibrous white parts. You can never get all the white strings off.
  • pancakerunner
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

Not sure about @pancakerunner but I love cookie dough, just don't like it in my ice cream. I feel like the texture doesn't go well and it makes the cookie dough so cold I can't even really taste it. Most have chocolate chips and I hate chocolate chips in my ice cream. I am not a fan of plain vanilla ice cream either.

Unless its like a small bit of soft serve topped with tons of big fresh chunks of cookie dough.

I LOVE cookie dough too, just not in ice cream. I do love the chunks of cookie dough but I find the rest of the ice cream very underwhelming.
  • pancakerunner
    I do not like things flavored with monk fruit
  • Mondowefte
    Mondowefte Posts: 150 Member
    Both coffee and tea are disgusting. As are olives.
  • pancakerunner
    Mondowefte wrote: »

Tea, yes. Coffee, depends on preparation. Olives, LOVE them.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    I don't like oranges. Too much work to eat and I hate the fibrous white parts. You can never get all the white strings off.

Yes this. I pick every last piece off, and my husband just eats the whole thing, white strings and all.

I'm not about to eat that white stuff, and it's just too much work for me to take it off.

• raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member

Where are you getting your oranges?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member

Huh. I like to eat the white pith off the inside of the orange peels, after peeling the orange. Yes, I recognize this is eccentric. Meh.

Not grapefruit pith though: That's more bitter.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,377 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Huh. I like to eat the white pith off the inside of the orange peels, after peeling the orange. Yes, I recognize this is eccentric. Meh.

Not grapefruit pith though: That's more bitter.

When I do eat oranges, I also eat the pith.
  • janicemlove
    janicemlove Posts: 434 Member
    Mondowefte wrote: »

Tea, yes. Coffee, depends on preparation. Olives, LOVE them.

I had a type of olive at a middle eastern restaurant (well, catered event) and they were amazing!! But I don't know what type they were or how they were prepared/picked etc. I would kill to have those again because they were freaking delicious. The regular (I'm in the US) black olives everywhere taste like heavily-salted rubber and I just can't eat them.
  • pancakerunner
    33gail33 wrote: »
    I don't get the big deal about ice cream - why everyone loves it so much.

I mean I don't hate it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to eat it. Can't remember the last time I had it and if I never did again it woudn't bother me at all.

I am with you on this. What I like about it is the fun and interesting flavors... but really I don't eat it much either. I do like it as an accompaniment to things... a la mode
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I don't have a sweet tooth at all lately, but ice cream/gelato/frozen yogurt is without question my favorite reasonable calorie, I could have every day if I wanted, easy to obtain dessert. There's really nothing else, unless we count fruit (which is what I normally have now). I love pie, but don't really want it that often, and I'm certainly not baking it that often, and it's dangerous to have around (my head would say "better eat it before it goes bad, another problem ice cream does not present). I like chocolate fine, especially good quality dark chocolate, but a few square of chocolate is not typically as satisfying as the same cals of ice cream and gets dull. Some restaurants have interesting desserts, but not things I would want often, and the cals are typically insane. Cookies I like, but don't particularly crave or miss if I don't have, and again I only really like them if they are homebaked. Cake I'm super picky about and again, it would have to be home or good bakery baked. Donuts, blah for the most part.

However, when I was losing and for a couple of years after I had ice cream at least 3 nights a week (when it fit in my cals). I tried lots of new flavors and brands and enjoyed seeing which flavors went well together (I would usually have at least 3 pints of different flavors). I'd only eat what fit in my cals (usually about half a cup), and two different kinds (so .25 cups of each), and it was the perfect after dinner finisher.

Ice cream/gelato and good homemade/bakery fruit pie are probably the two desserts I would pick if I could pick only two.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    I agree about the ice cream thing - Like @pancakerunner - the flavors sure do look yum and fun.

I'm good with the 40-50 calorie huge ice 'cream' protein concoction I make most days.