Is there a simple, reliable, HRM out there these days? (Definitely Not Polar.)

deminimis
deminimis Posts: 47 Member
edited February 2021 in Fitness and Exercise
After many years, I am giving up on Polar HRMs. They used to last, but lately, we are finding they die very quickly. New batts do not correct the issues. Done with Polar, but need to find something that works. Do not need fancy apps, storage, data crunching, etc. Just a reliable HRM that syncs with gym equipment (specifically Percor). Chest strap is preferred, but whatever reliably works. What has been working well for you? Thanks!!!

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,515 Member
    Wahoo Tickr. (The basic one, not the X.) I've had the same one for years. Works with a iPhone/Android (free Wahoo app is pretty good), or will pair to a Garmin watch.

Wahoo TICKR Heart Rate Monitor:

More information: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0881B1H5S/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_K48CF5YV6TAAMVJ7H6Z2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Another vote for Wahoo's Tickr.

After years of using Polar and Garmin chest straps this one is so much better.
    Always connects easily (using either Bluetooth or ANT+) to my Garmin, my phone or exercise bikes, no weird data spikes or drop outs (unlike my Garmin straps), great battery life,

Wore it for about 350 hours last year and don't recall a single problem with it, completely reliable (unlike my Polar straps).
  • sijomial

Always connects easily (using either Bluetooth or ANT+) to my Garmin, my phone or exercise bikes, no weird data spikes or drop outs (unlike my Garmin straps), great battery life,

Wore it for about 350 hours last year and don't recall a single problem with it, completely reliable (unlike my Polar straps).
  • sijomial

• sijomial

• deminimis
    Thank you. Looks like Wahoo it is.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Wahoo Tickr. (The basic one, not the X.) I've had the same one for years. Works with a iPhone/Android (free Wahoo app is pretty good), or will pair to a Garmin watch.

More information: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0881B1H5S/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_K48CF5YV6TAAMVJ7H6Z2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

That exact link says I need a business account and health care cert to buy. hmmm

Does the X just add some features and cost not really useful? - because Simon and your experience sound perfect for my desire.
    I was getting so annoyed with my old Garmin (which I found did better than new Garmin straps) on some colder runs that I really was looking for something else.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I had the older Garmin chest strap. That thing went 5+ years with a lot of use. Kind of a double edged sword because it's pretty uncomfortable and refusing to quit deprived me of an excuse to get a newer one.

CooSpoo sells chest straps pretty cheap on Amazon. I can't find anything to complain about. I haven't had to change the battery yet, but it costs 1/5 the Garmin one, so even if it dies with the battery it's still a good value.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    heybales wrote: »

That exact link says I need a business account and health care cert to buy. hmmm

Does the X just add some features and cost not really useful? - because Simon and your experience sound perfect for my desire.
    I was getting so annoyed with my old Garmin (which I found did better than new Garmin straps) on some colder runs that I really was looking for something else.

I have the X. I can’t recommend wahoo more. I’ve been using the same one for many years (I’ve replaced the strap several times). It connects to BT and Ant+ Simultaneously without issue and stays connected (I have general BT issues with my phone-I’ve never had problems with the HRM specifically). I’ve connected it to several phones, several different Garmin devices, my rower (and the Erg iOS app), a couple other things. Never an issue.

The X has a memory function so it can record without a BT connection (I have used that for swimming-then sync it after the fact). It also has some other running metrics but I use Garmin for that.

I think Garmin’s most recent HRM is similar to the TickrX?

I had terrible luck with Polar and Garmin so I went with the Wahoo years ago and haven’t had any reason to consider changing.
  • tbilly20
    tbilly20 Posts: 154 Member
    I’ll give another vote to Wahoo. I have been a partner with them for years. The TICKR is awesome, and they are just plain great people!
  • deminimis
    Thanks again everyone. Ordered up the Wahoo Tickr. Went directly to their site (Amazon was weird (medical professional, business account nonsense).
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Sorry, I shared a link from my work account at Amazon. You can find it on a search or you can buy it directly from Wahoo; which probably gives them a few more well-deserved $$. They are a highly innovative company. I've also bought their bicycle speed and cadence sensors. And, check out the Kickr Bike!

I'm glad to hear the experience of @Duck_Puddle with the X version. I read some negative reviews of it on Amazon. But the regular Tickr seems to please most people. Mine is years old, I've replaced the battery several times, and I bought a new 3rd party strap for it at one point. It really is a work-horse.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    A lot of gym equipment only pairs with Polar. I'm also not a Polar fan, though. It's easy to get apps that you can use and just bypass the equipment. Wahoo is a good one. I like Coospo better just because they are cheaper and great.
  • deminimis
    edited February 2021
    I have a commercial Precor elliptical. I thought it would connect, but now I'm not so sure. Support request into Wahoo for clarification. Hope it works, otherwise I'm going to have to ship it back when it arrives.

A little research goes a long way (I should have done my due dilligence). Apparently Wahoo does not transmit a 5KHz RF signal (this would be in addition to their BT and ANT+ connectivity). Need the analog 5KHz RF signal for a Precor elliptical like mine. I hate to say it, but that pretty much leaves me with no option other than Polar (or perhaps Garmin, which doesn't appear to be any better). Damn.
  • sijomial
    deminimis wrote: »
    I have a commercial Precor elliptical. I thought it would connect, but now I'm not so sure. Support request into Wahoo for clarification. Hope it works, otherwise I'm going to have to ship it back when it arrives.

A little research goes a long way (I should have done my due dilligence). Apparently Wahoo does not transmit a 5KHz RF signal (this would be in addition to their BT and ANT+ connectivity). Need the analog 5KHz RF signal for a Precor elliptical like mine. I hate to say it, but that pretty much leaves me with no option other than Polar (or perhaps Garmin, which doesn't appear to be any better). Damn.

Do you need your HR to display on the Precor though?
    You could just display/record your HR on the Wahoo app on your phone.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    deminimis wrote: »

Why care what the machine says? Most are incredibly inaccurate anyway. I have a phone app that's dirt cheap called Fitiv. It's a wonderful app and paired with nearly any decent HRM strap, it's fantastic. I honestly would rather trust a HRM app than a machine any time.
  • heybales
    Most machines had a space I could set my Garmin on to display the HR if I was doing zones or such and instant access was desired.
    If it was my machine that means I could attach it better, like a bike handlebar holder for phones perhaps.
    And a phone app displaying HR would sure be bigger than the FR was.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    sijomial wrote: »
    Do you need your HR to display on the Precor [elliptical] though?
    You could just display/record your HR on the Wahoo app on your phone.

I think the Precor (and every other machine) should transmit cadence, "speed," "grade," and power on bluetooth so you can pick it up on your favorite app, whatever it is (along with HR from your strap).

Second best is to use a Garmin watch and set it to elliptical mode. It does a pretty good job.
  • deminimis
    edited March 2021
    New Precors may work with bluetooth, ANT+, etc, but my older one needs a HRM that transmits 5 kHZ. Phone is generally plugged into my old receiver pumping out music, so not really looking for an app situation. The heart rate indicator on the machine is spot-on (generally within 1 beat when compared to apps I've tried simultaneously...so long as the HRM hasn't crapped out). Anyway, thanks all, I'll figure something out.

The Morpheus M3 will work (BT, ANT+ AND 5kHZ). Has a host of features I simply do not care about, but the price is comparable to the Polar H9 (couple bucks cheaper in fact). No clue if it lasts, but unless it's manufactured with spit, bubble gum and bailing wire, it's got to be an improvement over Polar.
  • heybales
    The Polar HRM head unit is not rebroadcasting the HR out so the Precor can pick it up.

The HR strap is broadcasting and the Polar and the Precor both pick it up.

If you are merely going for display of HR on the Precor to see it - just find the strap.

If Precor is giving you a Watts result when done, it's calorie burn may be based on that - I'm not sure what your end goal is for the Precor knowing HR - merely zone training?
    Or logging the workouts?