Eating in a caloric surplus of 500 calories but not gaining weight.

Hello all. I am currently on a lean bulk. I am 5 foot 10 and 154 lbs. My maintenance calories are around 2900 to 3000. I started with a surplus of 250-300 and was around 3200. I gained a couple pounds in the first two weeks but most of that was water weight. By the end of the second week I was at 155. By the end of the third week I actually lost a pound and was at 154. I added an extra 200 calories and was now at 3400. Today (end of the fourth week) I was stagnant at 154. I eat very clean and drink plenty of water. I am currently on creatine as well. I do no cardio besides walking for 20 min a day. I also lift 6 days a week with a rest day on sunday. I am in need of answers and desperate for help. Any and all answers are much appreciated.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,457 Member
    Up it another 250.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,394 Member
    Creatine would have bumped you up initially if it was new. If you're on a lean bulk... well... you can either give it more time and see if your weight level changes moving forward while eating your current amounts and continuing with your current activity and exercise. Or you can bump up your caloric intake a bit starting now instead of waiting. Or you can look into reducing your general activity level a bit.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Do you have a very active job/lifestyle as your numbers seem high otherwise for someone who doesn't do cardio and is quite light?

Are you food logging accurately? (Making your diary public helps answer a lot of questions.)

But in the end your results so far show your current eating doesn't seem to be enough to put you into a surplus. Burn less or eat more or a combination of a bit of both.