Anyone logging VR fitness (occulus quest)?

Hi I'm just getting back into keeping in shape, mainly playing beatsaber and thrill of the fight on Quest. Anyone else found a good way to track this on MFP? The institute of VR health reckon beatsaber burns around 6.5 Cal's per min or the equivalent of a game of tennis, and occulus move puts me at over 530 Cal's for 90 mins beatsaber, but I'm not sure I believe it haha. It's certainly a workout but I'd like to be more accurate. What fitness trackers or apps are you all using?

Replies

• renaeelder
    renaeelder Posts: 13 Member
    edited February 2021
    I use an Apple watch.. not sure how accurate it is? Somehow it works out how many calories you’ve burned and adds that to your MFP daily allowance. Just played Beat Saber then for about 90min and it reckons I’ve burned 916 kilojoules 🤷‍♀️
  • renaeelder
    I am very heavy and it’s a pretty intense workout for me though
  • TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,447 Member
    I use an Apple Watch too, I usually start either a "Dance" or "Mixed Cardio" workout when I play Beat Saber. Otherwise it just adds to your step count and you get calorie credit that way (though not as much).
    916kj (218 kcal) doesn't seem like a lot for 90 minutes of intense work! Last time I played for 25 mins and burned 608kj (as a "Dance" activity) - which is 145 kcal, and not too far from the 6 calories/minute @SammyBoo1980 mentioned. I am also very heavy, and averaged a HR of 132bpm for the workout, so not a super intense workout but not slacking either.
  • renaeelder
    @TwistedSassette there’s my problem then- I don’t log it as a workout, just leave it for the steps. I’d probably prefer it underestimated my exercise anyway- I’m pretty good at eating whatever extra they give me!
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    As it happens I was on the Oculus for an hour on Sunday. 30 mins Beat Saber and 30 mins Thrill of the Fight (mixture of heavy bag technical work plus a couple of fights). The Beat Saber was not particularly energetic. I was wearing my Myzone HR tracker and the calorie burn was about 300 calories for the hour. I am 5'10" and weigh 166lb. Make of this what you will.
  • SammyBoo1980
    SammyBoo1980 Posts: 56 Member
    We'll today I walked for 110 mins, average pace on flat ground, and played beatsaber on hard for one and a half hours. My calories burned are apparently around 980 😲 I want to get something that tracks this more accurately cause if it's anywhere even CLOSE to that number I will definitely stick with this. It's the most fun I've had exercising ever lol. I do have an old iPhone but it wouldn't be worth me buying an Apple watch for this since I don't use the iPhone. Are there any other trackers that people know definitely work well with VR/ games like beatsaber?
  • renaeelder
    @SammyBoo1980 I’ve just started logging my Beat Saber as a workout on my Apple Watch over the last few days and have been comparing it to the tracker they just recently put on the Quest (logs workouts in all different games- forgot what it’s called!) and it ends up pretty similar for me 🤷‍♀️ Around 2600-3000 kj for 90 mins. Long story short, if you’ve got that tracker it’ll probably do the job! 😂
  • SammyBoo1980
    SammyBoo1980 Posts: 56 Member
    Occulus move, yes I am using that but wasn't sure of its accuracy as those Cal's seem very high.
  • renaeelder
    @SammyBoo1980 yeah they do seem high. I’ve been deleting my workouts off MFP just in case it is too high and the adjustments lead me astray!