I'm looking for a tribe - motivation to lose 100 pounds

Replies

• I have 130 to lose. Send me a message if you want to be buddies!
  • MissNicolioli
    MissNicolioli Posts: 34 Member
    Count me in! I'm 39 and 4'11 I started MFP at 248 and now I'm at 217. Looking to lose about 100lbs to get to a healthy BMI. My other buddies and I check in on Fridays. We message just to report our highs and lows and goals. Its been a really great source of motivation and inspiration.

That's good progress! 30 pounds feels so rewarding!
  • Aqualang26
    Aqualang26 Posts: 149 Member
    Hi! Please add me - both OP and anyone reading this who is looking for the same.

I lost 90+ before and found groups and pals who are active in the newsfeed really helpful. I'd live to have that again.

I just turned 43 and am currently 221. Prior, I'd been at 135 (I'm 5'4") and would like to return there.

I had decided not to log on our month-long honeymoon a few years ago and once I got back and starting logging again I found out I was pregnant! We had a healthy baby girl (at 41!) but, boy, have I packed on the weight. I need to be healthy and have more energy for thus toddler. Let's help each other get there!
  • randomgyrl
    randomgyrl Posts: 111 Member
    I would love some accountability friends! I have about 65 pounds to lose. I definitely do better when I have people holding me accountable and offering support.
  • Me! I have a much longer journey but I need to start. Can't seem to even stick with the most basic improvements for longer than a week myself but I'm a great cheerleader for other people! Everything I read says "find a buddy", I can't even tell you how many times I eat because I suck at making friends so that's just a trigger. I am happily married but he likes to stockpile junk food and that is not helping me!

I know what it is to not share the struggles and that making it easier to fail....that rang so, so true for me. Ultimately I would love to see a number that starts with a 1 but right now I need to work towards a 2...and I have a ton of shame around that.

That said...let's go!
  • MissNicolioli
    Me! I have a much longer journey but I need to start. Can't seem to even stick with the most basic improvements for longer than a week myself but I'm a great cheerleader for other people! Everything I read says "find a buddy", I can't even tell you how many times I eat because I suck at making friends so that's just a trigger. I am happily married but he likes to stockpile junk food and that is not helping me!

I know what it is to not share the struggles and that making it easier to fail....that rang so, so true for me. Ultimately I would love to see a number that starts with a 1 but right now I need to work towards a 2...and I have a ton of shame around that.

That said...let's go!

So glad to meet you, friend! I'm happy to work together!

We need to work on shame though as a motivator. It's not a good one. In my experience, shame might inspire me to do better for a day - "that store had nothing that looked good on me at all, I'm so ashamed of my body, I'll do better."

But ultimately shame has always led me back to, "this is hopeless, I may as well just do what I like, which is eating anything I can get my hands on."

What gets you moving long term? How about pride? Today was an unsuccessful day for me, but I'm think about how much I like the days when I'm successful and I want that feeling tomorrow.

(This post turned out pretty good, actually. I think I'll post it as my status too to remind me to work harder this week)

• [
    But ultimately shame has always led me back to, "this is hopeless, I may as well just do what I like, which is eating anything I can get my hands on."

]
    So much truth here! I had an okay day, within goal but slips were made. I made an effort to get 500 more steps in, madd some good choices and I'll hold on to that.

Pride as a motivator...just working towards those days that you can feel successful! I like it.

Make sure success is obtainable! 500 more steps, one less junk item. 1 cup more water!
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    edited February 2021
    Hi,anybody can add me to their circle , I still have over 100 to lose. I've lost a bit but have a long ways to go. Once upon a time I lost 64 pounds but that was a long time ago lol. Life happened and I'm back at this thing. I'm here every day tracking :) I keep at it because I never plan on giving up trying to reach my health goals.
  • ama3387
    ama3387 Posts: 242 Member
    Good morning all! So I’m having a day. It’s almost 11am and I’m at 1200 calories for the day! Ugh! I started my time of the month and I have a bunch of appointments this afternoon so I doubt I’ll get any exercise in. I also started that time of the month this morning! Ugh wish me luck!
  • ama3387 wrote: »
    Good morning all! So I’m having a day. It’s almost 11am and I’m at 1200 calories for the day! Ugh! I started my time of the month and I have a bunch of appointments this afternoon so I doubt I’ll get any exercise in. I also started that time of the month this morning! Ugh wish me luck!

But you are tracking! And you have a busy afternoon. If you are able park a little further and applaud the effort! Get your favorite water drink and drink up! There are a lot of ways to still succeed today...you got this!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited February 2021
    Me! I have a much longer journey but I need to start. Can't seem to even stick with the most basic improvements for longer than a week myself but I'm a great cheerleader for other people! Everything I read says "find a buddy", I can't even tell you how many times I eat because I suck at making friends so that's just a trigger. I am happily married but he likes to stockpile junk food and that is not helping me!

That said...let's go!

If you can, get your husband to make a deal to store his stockpile of junk food where you don’t have to see it - in its own cabinet, for example. Mine also agreed not to eat junk food in front of me unless it was a time when I was already eating.

It’s really rough maintaining a new lifestyle in the face of constant temptation. I had lost 50 lbs twice, each time regaining because I gradually started eating more and more like my husband, before finally getting him on board. It’s been three years at normal BMI for me now! Unfortunately I didn’t make those changes and have that talk with him until after I had diabetes, so now I have to live the rest of my life with a disease which greatly increases my risk of death from all sorts of causes. Don’t make the same mistake! It is worth it to have a real talk with your husband about how this really is life or death for you. Morbid obesity is a serious health issue - it is one of the major factors in whether or not someone survives Covid. If your husband were standing by your hospital window watching you struggle on a ventilator I bet he would beg God to be allowed to give up junk food in exchange for your life. But that is the situation that someone carrying 100 extra pounds is in every single day, it just takes a while to become obvious. Have that talk!
  • selena416
    selena416 Posts: 1 Member
    👋🏽

So, I'm 31 and 196. I'm jumped up/down in weight since I was 18. I really want to drop atleast 30lbs as I am 5'1" and it's never a good feeling when I'm over life at putting on my sneakers. My boyfriend has this insane ability and self control when it comes to working out or eating the same healthy thing over and over. I struggle with that. I am a foodie and turkey and frozen veggies just doesn't cut it for me. I'm hoping if I put myself on here with some other people in the same boat I will actually be able to do this and keep myself and help others be more accountable for our goal.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,421 Member
    @selena416 it doesn’t have to be turkey and frozen veggies.

As long as you weigh and control, you can have all kinds of food, healthy, and just plain yummy.

That’s the key. Then it becomes something you can forever, instead of an endless future of turkey and frozen veg.

You’ve got to get out of the “endless diet” mindset. That’s what cripples most people and puts them on the binge and punishment cycle.
  • aperfectnut
    aperfectnut Posts: 12 Member
    Hi, another one in the same boat! I’m 44, 267lbs. I’ve been on and off the wagon so many times that this time I can’t fall off. My body needs a change!

I’m here for anyone to add as a friend for support.
  • greyfoxxe
    greyfoxxe Posts: 5 Member
    Let me introduce myself!
    I’m starting my journey. I’ve been heavy for ever. I finally asked for a referral to weight loss clinic and I got put on 1500 cal a day diet.
    I eat Bc it tastes good. It feels good but makes me happy. I never feel full. Kids, life, having a child later in life, and changing careers along with mental illness. Weight kept piling on! But. After health issues. All reversible!! I need to make a change. I want to go run with my husband. Hike. Ride bikes with my 6 year old! Feel confident. Tie my dang shoes!!!
    I’m adjusted well. Hungry. Usually in afternoons
    I’m counting everything and drinking at least 80-100 oz of water a day
    I need to exercise. I’ve just walking. Which. Is more than I have been doing
    I have a gym in my garage.... tons of equipment. Cardio weights etc. it’s been here. I’m lazy.
    Current 298. GW 185
  • You got this! Celebrate what you are doing right right now!
  • misplacedmama
    misplacedmama Posts: 78 Member
    I'm jumping in here! I'm 44, military spouse
    who is currently living in Japan and mother of 6 + an awesome son-in-law. I'm 5'4 and reached my highest weight of 242.4 lbs after the holidays. (I'm now 234.6 lbs.) My goal is 140 lbs at the moment. Please feel free to add me!

Before I had my youngest, I was always active and had developed a passion for fitness. But then my pregnancy with her was really rough, and we joined the military after she was born. We left behind the fitness support system I had put together over the years and our loved ones and our beloved Oregon. Every time I finally would start rolling with getting back into shape, something would happen, and I'd take time off to "regroup" - which translated to gaining back plus more. Moves, severe depression, taking care of a parent, helping a child with a chronic illness learn how to navigate a world that's challenging for her, raising teenagers, weathering my spouse's mid-life crisis, etc.

My youngest is 11 years old, and she's my most energetic, active kid. We're on our third year of homeschooling, but next year, she will be the only one at home. She told me once that she wishes I was the kind of mom who could do things with her - like ride bikes or jump on the trampoline or go to the park and play soccer. That gutted me. I was that mom to my older kids, but she's never known that version of me. I don't think it ever occured to me how much playing half-heartedly at losing weight and getting into shape has been deeply affecting my loved ones.

So, here I am, not just for myself and my health, but for my family too!
  • MissNicolioli
    selena416 wrote: »
    👋🏽

So, I'm 31 and 196. I'm jumped up/down in weight since I was 18. I really want to drop atleast 30lbs as I am 5'1" and it's never a good feeling when I'm over life at putting on my sneakers. My boyfriend has this insane ability and self control when it comes to working out or eating the same healthy thing over and over. I struggle with that. I am a foodie and turkey and frozen veggies just doesn't cut it for me. I'm hoping if I put myself on here with some other people in the same boat I will actually be able to do this and keep myself and help others be more accountable for our goal.

My boyfriend and I did Hello Fresh for quite a while. It truly did change the way I thought about cooking, meal planning, and vegetables as a whole. We collected a little book of recipes from them too so we can remake their meals with our own groceries! You can learn how to love healthy food and how to make it flavorful so you look forward to eating it.
  • tariqari
    tariqari Posts: 38 Member
    You can do this. I lost more than a hundred pounds in the past two years. This is totally realistic. I get the idea of not wanting to disappoint each other in a group like setting but I have to say, the strongest way forward for you and anyone else trying to lose weight is to do it completely and whole heartedly for yourself. It will be brutal. It will be painful. But it’s the only way I’ve found to KEEP the weight off and not rebound when things eventually fall apart socially. Since it does happen, people drift, friends come and go. But if you’ve always been your biggest supporter, you’ll never fail :)