Can you link an Apple Watch

Good Morning All! Can anyone tell me how to link my Apple Watch to MyFitnessPal? Or even my Health Data from my iPhone?
Just wondered if the capability was there, and I somehow was not seeing it.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    MFP was so excited when Apple finally caved and did the work to send figures to MFP.

Sadly they did not tell them they were sending the wrong figures or make them correct the mistake. I'm sure they tried and Apple said that's what we are doing deal with it.

If you directly link now you will get NO credit for being more active than sedentary in your daily activity.
    You will get NO credit for doing workouts.

Meaning your eating goal will go down the more your daily burn actually goes up. Totally backwards.

So no do not link accounts.

Find in the MFP app store Pacer and link to that account.
    Then in Pacer link to Apple Health account.

Pacer will get the several figures that Apple keeps separate (they can't provide a total daily burned figure, total meaning add base, daily, and exercise together) and put's them together to send to MFP as expected.
  • TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,530 Member
    Really? I have my Apple Watch/Health linked and don't experience any problems like this whatsoever. Or is it only if you link now, and doesn't affect links that existed already?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Really? I have my Apple Watch/Health linked and don't experience any problems like this whatsoever. Or is it only if you link now, and doesn't affect links that existed already?

Since day 1 they have sent wrong info.

And was confirmed less than a month ago still incorrect data, which of course causes screwed up math.

Pick yesterday.
    Go into your MFP Exercise Diary.
    Have the Apple Calorie Adjustment?
    Have some workouts?

Tap and hold or click on the Calorie Adjustment.
    There's the details as of midnight on first line, in small print, what Apple reported as your daily burn - what was it?

There's the MFP estimate of your daily burn based on your selected activity level as second line - what was that?

Or just give screen shot of that detailed screen.

Now go to Apple report and what was your base burn, daily activity burn, and any exercise burn?
    Or screen shot may be easier.

Run through the math together.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,387 Member
    edited February 2021
    My watch works fine, too, and I feel confident in what it reports.

Download MFP to both phone and watch.

For phone, go to Health>MFP> and allow it to read data.

For watch, go to the watch app that’s on the Phone >Privacy>enable fitness tracking

I have my activity level in MFP set as “very active” so I don’t want my watch counting steps outside workouts, runs, intentional walks as part of my calorie burn. You may choose to set yours differently.

You have to start an exercise on your watch, end it, and then say “done” before it will record to MFP.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,387 Member
    edited February 2021
    The top of the phone app will show calories and total excercise calories burned.

jgook0chgu9o.png

The bottom of the app will show where the watch has automatically posted workouts. Mine shows zero calorie adjustment for steps because I don’t record steps outside of workouts. I consider those extra steps as part of my “very active” setting.

cvy4ud5xukoo.png