Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Diet vs Exercise - Which is more important and why?

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    Better for what? Weight loss? Yes diet is more important. Better for health? IMO 50/50 split...
  • Minion_training_program
    Minion_training_program Posts: 13,348 Member
    Like said before...matters for what.
    There is context missing in this question

#contextmatter
    #makecontextgreatagain
  • ryan_powerlifter
    ryan_powerlifter Posts: 115 Member
    Def need more context. Generally speaking, if we are focusing on what is better for weight loss, it is diet 100%. You can meet all weight loss goals on diet alone.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited May 2021
    Bears VS beets VS Battlestar Galactica - which is more important, and why?
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    heybales wrote: »

This is clearly a trick-question.

These Bears, they're Chicago Bears, aren't they ?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited May 2021
    Motorsheen wrote: »

Brown bears.

https://youtu.be/WaaANll8h18
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »

Brown bears.

Natch'

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47pif2zxmxet58w5hc1gakmps3ha6yrgkebuoudow9&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

• Analog_Kid
    Analog_Kid Posts: 976 Member

Without a doubt, Battlestar Galactica.

Some of the best chick fights ever filmed.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member

Depends. Are we talking BSG 1970s or the modern incarnation? Regardless, beets are dead last.
  • PepeLPew
    PepeLPew Posts: 95 Member
    Nutrition I would argue is very important, but sleep, stress management and daily exercise are so important they are interconnected in so many ways.

I would argue the SAD isn't even a diet. It's almost a devolution of what was once food. The gradual creeping in and pervasiveness of high-fructose corn syrup, along with GMO foods, and food "products" is a global phenomenon but I think found commonly in the West. In other parts of the world, the quality of food is on another level. Culture plays a large role in this I think.

• richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    I've always said that the diet is more important towards the weight loss, but exercise is more important motivation wise to KEEP me on the diet.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,722 Member
    edited May 2021
    Wherever I read these threads, and this is a subject that comes up regularly, some people always come off as feeling threatened that other people are able to bring exercise into their life and benefit from it. I see a lot of bizarre comments that are negative toward exercise here and don't make sense in any other light. Example: I've seen people say they can "undo" a walk with a bag of Oreos, I've never seen anybody say they can undo 30 years of savings with a poker game.

I think that's a good point, and cute, but not a fair analogy. You can't undo a substantial overall weight loss (that took a long time to gain before that loss) with one bag of oreos, sure. You can counter, hmm, the 25 bucks you put in your house down-payment savings fund this week in a pretty normal poker game (in arithmetic terms). The latter's more analogous to the potential impact of a bag of oreos on weekly deficit, let alone one walk (depending on the size of the bag!).

Overall, yes, I agree that some people here seem quite resistant to the idea that exercise is valuable, in sometimes cognitively bizarre ways. Being an oddball who got quite active separately (and long before) weight loss, I see both as very beneficial. I proved to my own satisfaction that exercise is not, completely by itself, enough for good health . . . and I have a pretty strong belief that good nutrition in a complete couch-sitter is not going to be enough, either, even though I didn't personally run that experiment.

All of us tend to biased by our own cases, including our personal tastes and preferences.