Buying Smaller Clothes

Options
I've got an amazon list of size large clothing (I wear a size X-large). I've been debating whether or not to buy an outfit or two in size large to try and motivate me to get to that level. Did anyone do this with success?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I personally didn't do this, simply because I know that clothes won't necessarily fit me well, even if they are in the right size. So I might have bought clothing that I could eventually fit into, but not necessarily look nice on me and therefore never get worn.
    Also, I found that buying 'intermediate' clothes was pretty much a waste of money since I would outshrink them before getting much use out of them (particularly true in this pandemic, spending 99% of my time at home).

I did however have some old smaller clothes in my closet, that I tried occasionally. It didn't motivate me particularly, but then again I'm not someone who's big on motivation :smile: I prefer just getting a good consistent routine going.
    I would say: go for it, if you think it will motivate you. But perhaps stick to cheaper brands and/or second-hand clothes, to keep the cost reasonable?
  • AlannaWulf194
    AlannaWulf194 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I should probably clarify that my "outfit" would consist of like a t-shirt and jeans or sweat pants. so they should fit pretty well on me. I def am not going to buy an entire wardrobe unless I have decided that I'm staying at that weight.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I've bought some smaller stuff throughout - mostly used on Poshmark. Not so much as motivation, but rather that there is only so sloppy and oversized even I can stand to be.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Unless it was an absolutely incredible bargain, I don't think I would buy the smaller clothing - especially something like a tee and sweatpants. Plus, it's a lot more fun to lose weight and then buy new clothes. As for jeans, I have noticed that my smaller size jeans from back in the day don't fit my body the way they once did. So when it comes to jeans - I would say that is a hard 'no' - simply because jeans need to fit fairly well.

• Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    The one time I bought a dress in a smaller size because it was really pretty AND a really good deal, thinking "someday...." Well, when it finally was "someday" years later, I didn't really have an occasion to wear it. For me personally, I know buying clothing in smaller sizes isn't motivating, and can actually anxiety-provoking (strange, I know). However, once I reached my goal weight, I was ready to go all-out.

More recently, I went down a dress size in reaching my new goal. My old pants fit loosely, but I bought a bunch in smaller sizes because I thought If I continued to wear those now too-big pants, it would be too easy for me to fit right back into them again.
  • DezYaoified
    DezYaoified Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Shirts I don’t really worry about because I can always tie them off or just wear them baggy (tshirts)
    Pants and shorts tho, I do have a few in smaller sizes. I take pics of trying them on at different points in my progress. Nothing too crazy, just a few sizes smaller. I bought some size 14/12s when I was size 20. I’m size 16 now and for me it’s really helpful to see the difference in how the smaller clothes are fitting. Before I could hardly get the shorts above my knees, now I can get them all the way up. I can’t wait until I can button and zip them.
  • AndreaTamira
    AndreaTamira Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I kind of do this.

When my pants get loose I go to the second hand store and find a pair of jeans a size smaller than my pants. I don't fit in it yet at this point, but I take it home and try it on once a week till I do. I did this twice now (NZ size 16 and 14.)

I also have an older t-shirt I am waiting to fit into.

I don't think I would buy truly new clothes (especially trousers) in a lower size as they may just fit for 3 or 4 months or so and that's just a waste of money I don't have.
  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    During the journey to my goal I shopped at resale shops. Because they had a variety of nice items at reasonable prices. And since I knew I wouldn't be in them for a long time why spend 100 for a pair of jeans your only going to wear a few months. Also if I was gentle on some of the designer stuff I resold it back to them and got more stuff. A lot of the stores are consignment/resale shops in my area even have brand new overstocked items.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    I like having a pair of jeans one size down available because my pants have the habit of going from wearable but loose to entirely too loose to stand (I can't handle it if the crotch bags. Drives me insane) overnight. So it's nice when that happens to have the next size down available to put on. But that's one pair of jeans, that's not half my wardrobe.
  • littlebabekitty
    littlebabekitty Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I bought one outfit . now the shirt is big after I lost weight. Try to not buy so many as your body will change quick.