Why do I look skinnier than I weigh?

taramcopley1198
taramcopley1198 Posts: 2 Member
edited February 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
I look skinnier than I actually weigh. I am 5’6 and not muscular. It is not all in my head either - when I was at my skinniest (130lbs), people frequently thought I was around 110 pounds, and when I was 190 pounds people thought I was in the 160s/170s. I actually think I looked better at 190 then I did at 130, which looked way too skinny on me. It's like I do not look good when I am too skinny, my body looks best with a little bit of extra weight. It is making it hard for me to decide that my goal weight should be, because I look best when I am still in the "overweight" category on the BMI. Also, my pants size is usually higher than other people’s when they are the same weight as me. When I was 130, I was barely squeezing into a size 8, but other people at the same height & weight as me were in size 4s - yet I looked skinnier than they did. Why is this? Does it mean I am large framed? When I put my fingers around my wrist, it (barely) touches on my right and doesn’t touch on my left.

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I don’t know. I’m the opposite. I’m 5’10”. When I weighed 140, I looked fat and flabby. I do have a small frame.
  • Jennliftsandspins
    Jennliftsandspins Posts: 150 Member
    I always feel like I’m heavier than I look too. I see other people whose stats are similar to mine and they wear 1 or 2 sizes bigger than me. I’ve always been this way.

I have one son who is the same. He looks lighter than he is, and one the opposite he is so light but looks bigger.
  • Jennliftsandspins
    Jennliftsandspins Posts: 150 Member
    I have a friend who used to always win those ‘guess my weight’ carnival games at fairs and Canada’s Wonderland. They always guessed she was 125 or 130. She actually weighed about 102.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Bodies are weird! I totally hear you because when I was overweight I didn't really feel overweight, nor did I look it. Mind you, I was lighter than you, but still. I think it has a lot to do with how we distribute our padding. Wider shoulders and hips, and having a waist will hide a lot. If what you like about yourself happens to be slim then you might also feel you don't look your weight. In my case it was my tummy. It was still flat when I was overweight. So yeah.. I guess bodies are weird.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    My dad was someone who carried his weight well. There were some times in his life where he could've been classified as "overweight," but he was 6'2, didn't have the round belly that a lot of guys do and overall just had a larger build. If he did start to put on a little more weight than he wanted to, he would start exercising again and be good.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    I look skinnier than I actually weigh. I am 5’6 and not muscular. It is not all in my head either - when I was at my skinniest (130lbs), people frequently thought I was around 110 pounds, and when I was 190 pounds people thought I was in the 160s/170s. I actually think I looked better at 190 then I did at 130, which looked way too skinny on me. It's like I do not look good when I am too skinny, my body looks best with a little bit of extra weight. It is making it hard for me to decide that my goal weight should be, because I look best when I am still in the "overweight" category on the BMI. Also, my pants size is usually higher than other people’s when they are the same weight as me. When I was 130, I was barely squeezing into a size 8, but other people at the same height & weight as me were in size 4s - yet I looked skinnier than they did. Why is this? Does it mean I am large framed? When I put my fingers around my wrist, it (barely) touches on my right and doesn’t touch on my left.

What are your measurements?

http://www.myfooddiary.com/Resources/frame_size_calculator.asp
  • Ddsb11
    Ddsb11 Posts: 607 Member

You carry your weight well! I just checked my wrists and they don’t touch on either side. I’m currently 130 and a similar height. I still have at least 10-15 to lose. It’s honestly such a personal opinion what feels comfortable but it’s good to have a reality check from time to time- for me it’s getting too thin, perhaps for you it’s gaining too much. It definitely varies, and I respect your appreciation for honest responses!
  • 7rainbow
    7rainbow Posts: 161 Member
    You look great to me! I wouldn't have guessed 190 at all. I have the opposite problem unfortunately, I tend to look flabby for my weight.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    FYI the fingers around the wrist thing is deceiving. I’m 5’10” and at 190 lbs my fingers barely touch, at 167 they touch a heck of a lot more...

Both your fingers and wrist slim down as you lose weight, just ask my watch!

Personally I’m not working towards a number goal right now. I have recently hit a healthy BMI. I will now see where my weight naturally settles given the lifestyle I want in terms of food, treats and exercise.
  • eater_78
    eater_78 Posts: 13 Member
    So many things account for how much we weigh. If you run the phrase: different women same weigh through google images you'll see how much/little scales tell us. It depends on your built, muscle mass and where you accumulate fat. I've always had thin legs with lovely muscle definition but even at my skinniest my boobs were huge and I looked heavier than I was because of how clothes fit women heavier on top. Now that I'm overweight my legs are still thin, my boobs are enormous and I've got too much belly fat but still when I look at different photos posted here, I think women at my weight look heavier than me. The best think I think is to only use scales as one of the guides and focus on other things like how you feel about yourself, how clothes fit you and how fit you are.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Goal weight is so tricky as is comparing bodies (even at the same height). I prefer to have a target range for body fat percentage.

Many above have touched on body composition already. Are there other metrics you use to define your health and goals?