50+ women getting ready for 2021!

Replies

• bethalwp
    bethalwp Posts: 1 Member
    Hi! I am so happy to be here. I live in Los Angeles. 6 and a half years ago I lost over 80 lbs via a 12 step program and am still on it (CEA HOW-no matter what I do not eat white flour or refined sugar). Over the past 2.5 years since I started having hot flashes etc (I will be 52 next month) I have gained about 13 lbs back. I have decided to set goals on here with goal weight, drinking water, and exercise etc.I need to have more accountability than what I have now. I am feeling more motivated since I joined last night.
  • Lmdl62
    Lmdl62 Posts: 2 Member
    I don't know about others but sometimes I don't see the obvious. I have been having trouble sleeping - sleeping during the day and binge eating at night. Well, Hello- I checked my glucose today and well it is not pretty - 278!!! I have neglected to check my glucose like I have in the past. My insurance keeps changing and so does my meter. I prefer the one that tests on the arm but NOOOO the insurance I have is finger prick. Well I just have to bite the bullet and test everyday with the finger prick. This pandemic has made me so sedentary - I must find ways to move my body and lower my glucose.
  • poodlebone
    poodlebone Posts: 2 Member
    Hi. I'm 53 and looking to lose a lot. I am at my all time highest weight and I really need to take care of it. I lost weight 15 years ago and then my job changed a few times and I gained it all back and more. THis past year has been especially challenging.
  • dlm4mom
    dlm4mom Posts: 252 Member
    I tried pretty hard this week- lost it a few times- but ended up losing one pound. It is just hard! I am going to try to stick with it this time and try to stay motivated.
  • GNewc
    GNewc Posts: 1 Member
    Hi everyone, I just joing MFP this week and have been finding the food tracker really insightful. I am 58 and have finally come to terms with the fact that the weight that I've been steadily accumulating over the past ten years is starting to dramatically impact my overall health. I never ever thought I would get to over 200 lbs (I'm 5'5.5"), but just this week, I weighed in at 204 lbs. I am heavier than I have EVER been (including 2 pregnancies). Has anyone else found that weight gain became easier during and post menopause? I have been in denial for several years, but the final straw came when I put on one of my suit jackets in preparation for a Zoom job interview (ugh ugh ugh!), and it did not fit! Horrors! And, to top off my misery, I didn't get the job. Drat!

I am finally committed to getting back to a reasonable (for me) weight, which has nothing to do with BMI. I was considered 'overweight' by BMI standards when I was fittest and slimmest and very happy with my body, in my mid-twenties, so I've never felt this was an appropriate scale for me.

So happy to have found this forum, and hope to be able to receive and offer support to like-minded women.

P.S. Covid has not helped my diet habits one bit. Has anyone else discovered (or finally accepted) that they graze and drink high carb treats (snacks and booze) as a way to comfort themselves through times of stress? Have you managed to beat the cycle?
  • dianam32
    dianam32 Posts: 1 Member
    I am almost afraid to say that since October 1, 2020 I have lost almost 45 pounds. I still have a long way to go as I am 5’7 and still weigh 215 pounds but still a whole lot better than the 260 I started out at.
  • Sweetmuzic4u
    Sweetmuzic4u Posts: 1 Member
    2021 is a new year, new adventure and new journey. Taking the leap of faith one step at a time. Need help with motivation so I am starting something new.
  • fietsvrouw
    fietsvrouw Posts: 50 Member
    Count me in. I am 57 and trying to get back down to my weight when I was racing bikes. I just want to ride for touring now - not competitively - but I want to feel good on the bike again.
  • janeeksiddorn
    janeeksiddorn Posts: 2 Member
    Hi everyone. I am from the UK and would love to join the Over 50’s group. I am a 52 year old Nurse and have restarted MFP today in the hope that after a lifetime of failed diet attempts I may actually succeed this time. I have to start putting my health as a priority and start some self love. Surely I can kick my sugar addiction? I have never joined forums / communities during my weight loss attempts before so I am hoping that having friends on here to motivate and support me maybe the thing that helps me reach my goal. Hello to you all x
  • cindis6943
    cindis6943 Posts: 2 Member
    Is it too late to join? I am turning 58 in March, I have lost 13lbs since Jan 1, 2021. I have increased my exercise to crazy amounts. I would love to see others progress, can be so desperately hard to lose weight. I have to do ALL the things and I mean ALL the things it takes in order to lose weight. Would love to follow others that find ways to get off a plateau, motivation, and even encouragement!!
  • smilingdaisies
    smilingdaisies Posts: 76 Member
    edited February 2021
    I just turned 54 and this isn’t my first rodeo - I’m fed up with feeling out of control. I’ve got to make it work this time! Looking forward to meeting some great women.
  • chrysne6767
    chrysne6767 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi all, had MFP previously back when it launched but wasn't very disciplined with it. Had lots of ups and downs as usual so lost touch with the app. 50 now and huge reality check that if I don't get my health in gear, may not see the next decade. Motivated now to move my sedentary self & watch what I eat. Appreciate any tips and happy to support one another on this journey. Stay safe & be well.
  • Joyfulandactive
    Joyfulandactive Posts: 111 Member
    Hi all, so glad to see so many new faces! I paused for the holidays and then just spent January/February 2021 tapering down and coming off completely the OxyContin and Oxycodone I was taking since spine cancer in 2018. I am now completely opiate free! Have been for about 10 days now. If I need something for pain I take a muscle relaxant or a Tylenol but mostly I don’t need them, so I am very grateful. When I started this thread I was 167.5. I went up to 173 and was weighed at my health club a couple of weeks ago. I focused this week and have already lost 4lbs. I went to get back to 167.5 before I start tracking my weight again. Before I was diagnosed with cancer I lost 30lb with support from a program at my sports club. As an alumni I had a free dexascan which reveals exactly who much fat and lean fat you have and % of fat your body is. I am definitely in the “overweight”. I get a free appointment with the dr which I have tomorrow and then two free sessions with a personal trainer. I have the first on Thursday, so my aim is to start to really focus on diet and exercise.
  • LeeAWatt2021
    LeeAWatt2021 Posts: 14 Member
    Christmas is over and it's now well into 2021 but I would like to join. I'm 57 and been using MFP for just over a month.
  • nieshynoo1
    nieshynoo1 Posts: 17 Member
    Hi everyone
    I’d like to join this 50+ group. I’m from Australia. Second attempt on MFP. I have 35 kgs to lose...omg! This is my first week. Still getting my head around this app. I did 10,000 steps yesterday for the first time in forever. Have managed to stay under my calorie goal so far...let’s see what the scales say at the end of this week. Looking forward to supporting you all and being supported. 🙂🙂🙂
  • fietsvrouw
    fietsvrouw Posts: 50 Member
    I would like to join! I am 57 and live in Germany. I love cycling and am working on getting back to a decent cycling weight and level of fitness for some touring.
  • LonelyKatGirl2
    LonelyKatGirl2 Posts: 15 Member
    Hi Y'all,
    I'll be 58 next month, and would like to join your 50+ group. Tried MFP before, but it didn't last long. I allowed life and my bad health to get in the way. I have 99.6 lbs to lose. Looking forward to getting to know Y'all better.
  • slowerbutqwik
    slowerbutqwik Posts: 120 Member
    Hello, I was 56 in October. Overweight nearly my entire adult life. I'm really looking forward to this group, and perhaps a few who would like to be a support and q/a MFP friend(s).
  • yensidtoon
    yensidtoon Posts: 82 Member
    New mindset here. Been a member since 2013, but now I am serious about losing 100 pounds. I am 55 and on oxygen due to heart damage from a bout of covid last year. I also have a very bad knee and walk much slower than most people. I look forward to talking to all of you as we go on our weight loss journey together.