How has the amount of Sleep You get Impacted Your Weight loss or Gain

I have noticed somethings about the amount of sleep I get in relation to my weight gain or loss. And wondered if anybody else experienced the same thing.
For example when I don't get enough sleep I notice an increase in my appetite and I eat more.
When I don't get enough sleep I have more cravings.
Also when I don't get enough sleep my motivation to workout/diary/eat right are all diminished.
The weeks I am stressed and don't sleep my calorie intake is more too. (Used the Weekly digest report to check trend)

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Id say all those are fairly accurate for me. I know for me, at least, if I have had less than 5 hours of sleep (I don't sleep much so that's a typical low night for me), I eat to try and wake up. it doesn't usually work LOL

When I am highly stressed my eating can go either way - eat everything or eat almost nothing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Directly none. Sleep or no sleep doesn't really have any impact on my eating or appetite. Lack of sleep would mostly impact my CO in that if I'm more lethargic and lacking energy, I'm going to move less, including involuntary movements like fidgeting. I'm more likely to sit on the couch and watch movies than being up and around doing stuff and workouts aren't as good.

Lack of sleep mostly impacts my exercise recovery.
  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Id say all those are fairly accurate for me. I know for me, at least, if I have had less than 5 hours of sleep (I don't sleep much so that's a typical low night for me), I eat to try and wake up. it doesn't usually work LOL

When I am highly stressed my eating can go either way - eat everything or eat almost nothing.

Glad it's not just me . At least now I can be more mindful it may or may not help. Let Holly out.LOL
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    edited February 2021
    Google "sleep ghrelin leptin." These are powerful hormones regulating hunger and satiety. Lack of sleep drives both in unhelpful directions (more hunger, less satiety). While some on MFP boards say they don't notice a difference, I notice a huge difference. I'm normally pretty disciplined, but my discipline and willpower are no match for these powerful hormones.
  • mpkpbk2015
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Directly none. Sleep or no sleep doesn't really have any impact on my eating or appetite. Lack of sleep would mostly impact my CO in that if I'm more lethargic and lacking energy, I'm going to move less, including involuntary movements like fidgeting. I'm more likely to sit on the couch and watch movies than being up and around doing stuff and workouts aren't as good.

I was just reading an article don't know how true it is or not that it can effect your metabolism in that since your body doesnt go into REM sleep your metabolism isn't as high on the following day. Like said don't know how true this is or not. But it sounds interesting.
  • mpkpbk2015
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Google "sleep ghrelin leptin." These are powerful hormones regulating hunger and satiety. Lack of sleep drives both in unhelpful directions (more hunger, less satiety). While some on MFP boards say they don't notice a difference, I notice a huge difference. I'm normally pretty disciplined, but my discipline and willpower are no match for these powerful hormones.

Yes I have read about Ghrelin and hunger and cravings and willpower being not match for them. And I believe it because when I don't sleep they truly kick in.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited February 2021
    mpkpbk2015 wrote: »

I was just reading an article don't know how true it is or not that it can effect your metabolism in that since your body doesnt go into REM sleep your metabolism isn't as high on the following day. Like said don't know how true this is or not. But it sounds interesting.

Could be...lack up sleep increases cortisol and if that happens consistently, chronically raised cortisol levels increase hunger for sure...in RE to slowed metabolism, I'd say that is more that if you're not going through normal REM/Deep sleep cycles, you are going to be more lethargic which will lower your metabolism. I don't think it impacts actual BMR though.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    I think that's one reason why I want to eat at night sometimes. I'm actually tired and should probably go to bed, but don't want to go to bed yet. So, I want to eat to help keep me awake.
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Lack of sleep definitely correlates with weight gain for me.

If I'm having a hard time of it with the scales, I try to prioritise a good night's rest.
  • Yogagrl444
    Yogagrl444 Posts: 16 Member
    Yep, I can totally relate! This was my biggest struggle for the longest time because I was very stressed for months and not sleeping well. It definitely affected my appetite, but also my motivation to do healthy activities! I craved more carbs and sugar than ever before. I gained a ton of weight over the past year or so, which brings me back here today...Definitely feel lack of sleep was part of it too. MORAL of the story...Get a good night's sleep LOL Meditate,take a hot bath, relaxing music ...whatever it takes

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »

Ditto.
  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 wrote: »

Could be...lack up sleep increases cortisol and if that happens consistently, chronically raised cortisol levels increase hunger for sure...in RE to slowed metabolism, I'd say that is more that if you're not going through normal REM/Deep sleep cycles, you are going to be more lethargic which will lower your metabolism. I don't think it impacts actual BMR though.

I see make sense that when your lethargic your metabolism would be lower than when your active.
  • mpkpbk2015
    Yogagrl444 wrote: »
    Yep, I can totally relate! This was my biggest struggle for the longest time because I was very stressed for months and not sleeping well. It definitely affected my appetite, but also my motivation to do healthy activities! I craved more carbs and sugar than ever before. I gained a ton of weight over the past year or so, which brings me back here today...Definitely feel lack of sleep was part of it too. MORAL of the story...Get a good night's sleep LOL Meditate,take a hot bath, relaxing music ...whatever it takes

I have been drinking decaf green tea to relax me, no TV in bedroom or computer or other distractions that seems to be helping me fall asleep quicker at night.
  • mpkpbk2015
    Lack of sleep definitely correlates with weight gain for me.

If I'm having a hard time of it with the scales, I try to prioritise a good night's rest.

funny how you can be doing everything else right but not getting enough sleep can throw a kink in the whole thing. Getting a goodnight sleep is so important.
  • mpkpbk2015
    I think that's one reason why I want to eat at night sometimes. I'm actually tired and should probably go to bed, but don't want to go to bed yet. So, I want to eat to help keep me awake.

I totally agree I used to be a night eater, and found the food in my belly would make me stay awake waiting for it to digest. Vicious cycle because then I wouldn't get a good night's sleep.
  • mpkpbk2015
    Thank you everyone for your insights and for sharing. Going to go get my tea and get ready for bed early morning tomorrow. Good night one and all.