Starting keto journey! Need quick answer :)

hi guys
glad to be here again
id like to share one question i have in regards to my first keto day, the app shows the following :

In grams : Carb 16 - Prot 105 - Fat 118
In % : Carb 7 - Prot 26 - Fat 67

im concerned about the 2:1 fat/prot ratio that i want to achieve, when it comes to energy % it seems to be ok but when it comes to grams its way off, what should i take in consideration here grams or energy?

thank you all and have a great day/evening!

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited February 2021
    It depends on where you got that ratio. I would think it should mean in percentage of cals from each, but also there's no need to have twice as much fat as protein to be in ketosis/do keto. Where did you get that information?

For keto, cals still matter (for gain, loss, or maintenance), and keeping net carbs low enough also does. That's mostly it.
  • RelentlessWyll
    RelentlessWyll Posts: 13 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    It depends on where you got that ratio. I would think it should mean in percentage of cals from each, but also there's no need to have twice as much fat as protein to be in ketosis/do keto. Where did you get that information?

For keto, cals still matter (for gain, loss, or maintenance), and keeping net carbs low enough also does. That's mostly it.

of course cals always matter no doubt about it

for the ratio thing i believe it was from someone on youtube named delauer he seemed knowledgeable on the subject

and yes i agree i also think it would make more sens if it was related to the energy ratio rather than the sheer mass which would really be counter intuitive given the high density of most fats in terms of cal/g as opposed to prots
  • Aqualang26
    Aqualang26 Posts: 149 Member
    Fat is a limit, not a goal, whereas protein is a goal. Is there a reason you want to get a 2:1 ratio fat to protein?

Fat helps you feel satiated and is a nice option on keto, but there's no need to get twice your protein in fat.

The grams macros you listed look decent to me. You could up your carbs a bit to 20-25 but you don't have to. Protein should be .6 -.8 grams per lean mass so that number seems fine. Fat is the remainder up to whatever calorie deficit you've chosen.