Neutral Protein powder for baking?

Hi friends! I’m looking into starting to add more protein to some baked items (specifically baked oatmeal, but I’m sure I will find other uses). I’m looking for a protein powder that is 1) unflavored (so that it can go with many different flavor combinations, maybe even savory baked items as well as sweet), 2) not easily detectable/no funky taste or aftertaste, and 3) fairly affordable. What would you suggest, as far as brands/types?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    e3opjvtivd34.png
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member

Oh thanks so much for the quick reply! I’ll take a look at the reviews 🙂
  • jennacole12
    jennacole12 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Pe science and granite supplements make the best ones for baking, if you’re doing more savory you could also add collagen bc that is flavorless.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    I haven't tried it myself but I have seen that Quest recommended here before.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Hi @gallicinvasion 👋

2 powders I’ve used for baking that are keepers:
    Tera’s whey for desserts and Sprout Simple pumpkin protein for savory dishes. (I anticipated a more nutty flavor with the protein - but it was pretty plain to me.)

Also I use vital proteins collagen for mix ins like coffee, pudding and oatmeal! No taste. 10 grams of protein per serving. Hope that helps!!

👩🏼‍🍳 😉
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,693 Member
    NOW brand pea protein is good for baking.
  • gallicinvasion
    Pe science and granite supplements make the best ones for baking, if you’re doing more savory you could also add collagen bc that is flavorless.
    hmm never heard of these! will research!
  • gallicinvasion
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    NOW brand pea protein is good for baking.
    Oo sounds great!
  • gallicinvasion
    Hi @gallicinvasion 👋

2 powders I’ve used for baking that are keepers:
    Tera’s whey for desserts and Sprout Simple pumpkin protein for savory dishes. (I anticipated a more nutty flavor with the protein - but it was pretty plain to me.)

Also I use vital proteins collagen for mix ins like coffee, pudding and oatmeal! No taste. 10 grams of protein per serving. Hope that helps!!

👩🏼‍🍳 😉

Oh this is so helpful!! Thank you, friend
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    Quest and PEScience have been my favorite to cook with.
  • GlowskiMcGlitter
    GlowskiMcGlitter Posts: 30 Member
    I have also been considering adding collagen powder to my pancake batter and I just don't know how it will turn out. 😄 Collagen peptide powder dissolves well in warm liquids, but I am curious to see if I could bake with it. Hmmm.
  • dreamer182
    dreamer182 Posts: 43 Member
    I absolutely love pescience and use their vanilla all the time, and love adding it to yogurt, pancake mix, etc. I use the code "scripts" for a discount too :) they also always give a ton of samples. I like vital proteins for collagen but i definitely need to add sweetener to it
  • GigiAgape1981
    GigiAgape1981 Posts: 64 Member
    MYPROTEIN Unflavored Slow-Release Casein.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,062 Member
    I use Jarrow Unflavored Whey for this purpose. Every morning, a scoop in my oatmeal. I also bake a scoop or two, and occ. three into bread. Three is marginal in results, more than three not recommended, as it impacts the browning process. In bread, one or two scoops are not noticable in flavor differences. The Jarrow whey has everything I'm looking for in terms of protein content, and nothing I don't want (they say, "100% whey" but also list lecithin [for preventing caking] - I give them a pass for that, LOL). BTW, I also put some nutritional yeast into my morning oatmeal, a TB full, for all the benefits it provides. It is, howver, not "neutral" in flavor. Not bad, but definitely present.

You can see the Jarrow jar peeking out behind the toaster in the background.

p88imhj2qs5j.jpg