The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,155 Member
    My girlfriend and I were reflecting at the mysterious occurrence that happened last year to her. She was at a family party and she had 2-3 glasses of wine and then suddenly she could not move. She was frozen. Her husband had to rush her to the hospital. It is still a mystery as to why her body reacted to alcohol like that.
    She has drank several times since and never had that problem again.
    Side note: She was kicked by a horse and her liver was lacerated nearly in half. After this accident, she says she doesn't feel that well when she drinks even a few glasses. She wondered if that is related to her accident. I wonder. I have no idea.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,479 Member
    @RubyRed427 Surely having your liver that damaged by a horse would cause any alcohol intake to affect her worse than someone that has not had that injury. One wonders why she indulges at all at this point!
  • RubyRed427
    Hi everyone ☺ hope everyone is well.

My brother has been chatting to me about taking a break / cut down his drinking and has been genuinely listening to my tips and hints. He wanted to drink tonight but we agreed to bake a cake together, instead, and now we are sipping Sparkling water with a slice of lime (so super refreshing)

I pretensed to him it was a 'mojito' lol he is looking forward to waking up hangover free at the weekend for a change. Might go a run together tomorrow. I don't think he plans to quit alcohol completely, but it will be good for him to cut back how often / how much he drinks. 👍

I think that is incredible progress. Your positive influence is really helping so many people!
  • RubyRed427
    @Up_n_Running That is terrific progress.
    I'm in an AirBNB because I took a road trip to visit my daughter at college. We were at Target; have you seen how much wine they sell? There is a huge aisle of alcohol.
    I did daydream for a moment that it would be so nice to buy a bottle and drink it at this Air BNB. But then again.... I would wake up nauseous and have a racing night heart beat.
    So, I bought Fiji water and cashews.

I just know that nothing has changed. I still cannot stop at one drink. That's a fact. I am starting to accept it.

• SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,479 Member
    Had a lovely evening watching Marcella on Netflix with the hubs. Both of us drinking seltzer with just a splash of ginger ale. It was quite refreshing. We rearranged the furniture and are amazed at the difference it makes! Just having and enjoyable and sober weekend.
  • RubyRed427
    JenT304 wrote: »
    Had a lovely evening watching Marcella on Netflix with the hubs. Both of us drinking seltzer with just a splash of ginger ale. It was quite refreshing. We rearranged the furniture and are amazed at the difference it makes! Just having and enjoyable and sober weekend.

I watched Marcella- very good show!!!
    Happy you had a nice weekend!
  • RubyRed427
    edited March 2021
    aroze0928 wrote: »
    Congrats @RubyRed427 on the 6 months and to all the rest on here with milestones. Its hard work most of the time.
    Im speaking for me personally--
    I used to think I was an alcoholic. But I always thought it was a disease. I came from an alcoholic family so I always thought well now I have the disease. I guess thinking that when I was young made me feel somewhat better about the whole thing. Seeing my mother drunk day in and day out. I dont think that anymore. I know better. Im not slumped over in a hell that I was sure was my destiny. After all the prayer and hard work I now know I have a choice. Its simply after all the starts and stops my choice not to drink and that is a powerful choice to be lucky enough to make.

Bravo on 2 years! The days do add up. Sometimes, like tonight, I feel euphoric that I don't need to drink to enjoy life; I cooked some dinner , sang some songs playing on my speaker, and just felt damn good. Sober.

Sure, sometimes I miss the instant release alcohol gave me. But Do I miss the next five minutes after that that usually turned into an hour of binging? No!

It is a choice. And I'm grateful, like you, to make the choice every day not to drink.
    Thanks for stopping by! I do enjoy seeing your posts :)
  • RubyRed427
    @Up_n_Running I hear you! I am going to FLA at the end of the month; I was thinking maybe a little wine in the evening won't hurt! But then I know better - it would hurt a WHOLE lot. The next morning I'd be hungover, ruin my power walks on the beach, feel nauseous, etc. So not worth the initial burst of flavor and fulfillment.

How is your brother doing?