All the bad food habits

Discuss what bad food habits trigger you and how you maintain to stay away from it !!!

Replies

• OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    The question was bad food habits. I will answer it. Keeping foods in the house that I know I tend to overeat is a bad food habit for me. I keep snacks in the house, but certain things I will grab just because I see it.
    Eating because I am bored is another bad food habit that I try to avoid.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Mine is mindless eating: eating a bit here, a bite there, eating off of my kids' plate. Once I started tracking again, that cut out most (if not all) of it.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    My worst habit was mindless eating: Routinely grabbing a treat as I went through the checkout, eating food just because it was out in front of me, cleaning a plate just because it was there, eating food that I didn’t even particularly like just because everyone was. For a good part of my life I couldn’t understand why I was overweight because I didn’t think I ate that much. Truth is I had absolutely no awareness of how much I actually was eating
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Emotional eating-- that is, using food to stuff down uncomfortable feelings like disappointment, loneliness, or anxiousness, or to "puff up" nice feelings like happiness, companionship, or celebration.

I'm not saying that I never eat something at a celebratory function or when I'm at home by myself after a frustrating day . . . but the bad habit/danger zone is when I catch myself using food to either AVOID feeling an unpleasant feeling or in the mistaken belief that a pleasant experience can only be experienced in the presence of food.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    My worst habit and lingering hurdle is those times I'm OUT (which is rare) I just eat literally whatever. Calories wise? Not any big issue.

That it makes me feel crappy and I keep doing it I do not love.

It's like I trade feeling like crap for convenience. I KNOW I am doing it but it is so not actually worth being able to avoid cooking.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,945 Member
    May I suggest you move this discussion over to the "Food and Nutrition" forum? It would probably be much more appropriate over there.

Because, sad to say, the boring reply most of us probably have is, "Just keep doing what we've been doing, because it worked to get here, and we know we need to keep doing what we've done; it's a new way of life, and not a temporary change."