For the love of Produce...

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 12,930 Member
    I still had pea and lentil soup and some canary beans, but the black beans I started soaking the other day were sprouting.

So I cooked them. That's all good and well, and there were a whole LOT of them. I thought to myself, "Self; when's the last time you made black bean soup?" I answered, "Self, I have no freakin' idea."

So I let the pot cool, transferred everything to a giant bowl, washed the pot, and started sauteing onions, celery, and garlic. I pureed some of the beans, and mixed everything back together and let it simmer another half hour or so. I pureed a little more of what was left, and let it cool enough to containerize and refrigerate.

I will have a nice lunch! And soup all weekend. Maybe I'll send a picture, but it just looks like mortar. It's pretty tasty even though it's less spicy than normal. I just tossed a couple chiles de Arbol in when I was cooking the beans.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Hi friends! I've been stalking this thread for a bit. I'm trying to think... I don't *think* I've ever met a vegetable I didn't like, though not wild about radishes, and the only fruit I won't eat so far is durian. Mom swears that when I was a toddler riding in the shopping cart I lunged to grab vegetables instead of candy! I'm a pretty adventurous eater but there are a lot of things I've seen people mention on here that I've never tried. Living in a place with 6+ months of winter kind of limits the selection lol. But I recently discovered a locally-owned store dedicated entirely to produce so I'm excited to see what I might find there!

Anyways... just wanted to say hi and introduce myself a bit 🙂

Inspiring!
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Pretty boring.

Roasted broccoli.
    injh7n51fr73.jpg

I am still waiting for the replacement glass for my oven door to come in to the shop. I decided to go ahead and get the convection going anyway. I am trying to avoid any splatters on the glass that will be in the middle of two other plates once the new one arrives. I don't know why I haven't been roasting as many vegetables this winter. They sure are good. I guess it's because I keep making soup, beans, and bean soup. I'm just one person, and I can only eat so much food. SO. MUCH. FOOD!

Roasted veggies are awesome, and I love broccoli crispy like that. It's perfect! You nailed it.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Pretty boring.

Roasted broccoli.
    injh7n51fr73.jpg

I am still waiting for the replacement glass for my oven door to come in to the shop. I decided to go ahead and get the convection going anyway. I am trying to avoid any splatters on the glass that will be in the middle of two other plates once the new one arrives. I don't know why I haven't been roasting as many vegetables this winter. They sure are good. I guess it's because I keep making soup, beans, and bean soup. I'm just one person, and I can only eat so much food. SO. MUCH. FOOD!

Roasted veggies are awesome, and I love broccoli crispy like that. It's perfect! You nailed it.

Oh it was cooked right for sure, and I had it in the fridge long enough it was time to cook it. Just nothing special. I guess that's ok. It doesn't always have to be special! Today I might roast a sweet potato or two. . I think I have some purple potatoes in the fridge too that I should get after. They crisp up really nicely I also like to make thick slices of yellow onions and roast them on their own. So tasty. Next time I buy produce, I think I'll get beets or cauliflower. And I can't wait until I get the oven door fixed.

I decided my carrot sauerkraut was fermented enough yesterday after about 25 days. I packed it into smaller jars including one pint jar that some neighbors dropped off last week with some home-made gumbo. They got it back full of kraut. It was their choice; they already have kimchi in the fridge. I'm not sure I like the kraut with the carrot. It's also kind of Franenkraut. I had some garlicky sauerkraut that was only fermented two weeks that I added to this batch after it fermented a while because I thought there were too many carrots. I do like that it's nice and sour and not too salty. I think the next batch will just be cabbage again, or if it has anything else, I'll add it after a couple weeks of ferment and let it go through a shorter ferment.

The last batch of kimchi is REALLY good.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    I used to use cooked endive a lot, but I'd normally chop it and sautee with other veg. Kind of how I've been using radicchio lately.

Yesterday's dinner produce was pretty simple again: sauteed green beans (side dish with rockfish, which I topped with lemon and artichoke hearts), plus a big salad with romaine, chopped kale, cucumbers, green peppers, and cherry tomatoes.
  • annk18
    annk18 Posts: 85 Member
    This sounds and looks delicious. Unfortunately we can't have barley and I can't see a way around it.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Hmm, I love barley and haven't had it for awhile (although it is in my pantry), I may have to think about fun and tasty ways to use it.
  • mtaratoot
    annk18 wrote: »
    This sounds and looks delicious. Unfortunately we can't have barley and I can't see a way around it.

Can you have rice? That would work, but I would only cook it half way. I bet you could do it with quinoa, but it might be weird. Even hominy. Or just more vegetables. I am not sure, but buckwheat groats (kasha) might work. As an experiment, you might make the soup portion separately and toss in the rice/buckhwheat/whatever (even oat groats) to see if the taste is good before making a whole pot. It also might have a different texture if made as a whole pot rather than added in after the fact.

lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Hmm, I love barley and haven't had it for awhile (although it is in my pantry), I may have to think about fun and tasty ways to use it.

I actually like it with just a little salt and butter as a change-up from rice. It's got a different nutritional profile. It does go really good with mushroom soup, and it also goes in other soups like nine-bean or whatever.