Coronavirus prep

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited February 2021
    New website to help people find vaccines. Currently in a pilot program with 4 states - Alaska, Indiana, Iowa, and Tennessee.

Http://www.vaccinefinder.org
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/24/health/coronavirus-variant-nyc.html

Sounds like this is a good reason to not let down our Covid-19 guard just yet.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    https://news.yahoo.com/israel-adopts-law-allowing-names-153232886.html

This is a Covid-19 pandemic side effect that may be spreading around the world.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,131 Member

I think that it is wise. We still have a bunch of restrictions with only two doses, and I wouldn't mind getting a third one in six months to really boost my immune system.

People under 18 are not allowed to get the vaccine until clinical trials for the younger people prove that the vaccine is safe and effective in that population. So the older generation still have to be careful and mostly keep away from younger children/grandchildren that are not part of their bubble.

As a posted two days ago, Moderna is already testing a booster to combat the S. Africa variant; and since we are seeing more home-grown mutations showing up in the country, a booster from Pfizer and Moderna makes a lot of sense to me. My arm is ready :D

• Gisel2015
    33gail33 wrote: »
    I had a covid test yesterday and today I have what feels like a mild sinus headache/irritation under the eye on the side they did the "brain poke". Anyone else have this, and is it normal? It's not really bad but considering I have to get tested weekly now it is gonna be annoying if this happens every time.

I had a covid test in December but it was an oral swab. Glad that they didn't do the deep nasal one. My ENT looks at my sinus every time that I see him, and I don't enjoy the procedure. I am sorry that you are having some side effects. Hope that you feel better soon, but maybe next time ask the tech doing the test if what you felt was normal.

• Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited February 2021
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    I had a covid test yesterday and today I have what feels like a mild sinus headache/irritation under the eye on the side they did the "brain poke". Anyone else have this, and is it normal? It's not really bad but considering I have to get tested weekly now it is gonna be annoying if this happens every time.

I had a covid test in December but it was an oral swab. Glad that they didn't do the deep nasal one. My ENT looks at my sinus every time that I see him, and I don't enjoy the procedure. I am sorry that you are having some side effects. Hope that you feel better soon, but maybe next time ask the tech doing the test if what you felt was normal.

I've been to the dentist a lot recent months, and must get tested beforehand. The free drive-up testing in seattle does the double brain poke - one nasal cavity isn't good enough :neutral: While it's always uncomfortable, I've never had any side effects after the initial irritation.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member

I didn't have any lingering effects from mine. That nostril felt a bit irritated (much like it does all winter from dryness) for about an hour afterwards and that was it. And I'm allergic to half the world so my sinuses are never very happy. Like Gisel says, I'd ask about it. Hopefully it goes away soon!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,718 Member

FWIW, I had no after-effects at all from my nasal swab test. I can see how that might happen, though: Sensitive tissues in there, seems like they'd be easy to irritate, and in a zone with lots of nerve density, I suspect. I hope your next one will be less a problem, since you need to have them weekly!
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    hipari wrote: »

I’ve been tested 3 times, and the first time my tissues up there were pretty irritated for a couple of days after. Felt kinda similar to the burning feeling of accidentally getting chlorine water from a pool sucked up your nose, except it was only on one side. The next two were significantly easier - the second one was irritated for a few hours, and the last one (last week) was feeling normal by the time I got back home from the test center.

I think it’s a combination of what else you have going on (some flu symptoms make those tissues more sensitive than others), how the swab hits you (I swear I heard something crunch inside my head on the first time) and how relaxed you are (if you’re very tense, there’s probably more pushback from your muscles and the nurse can’t be as gentle).

I have allergies and chronic sinusitis - so maybe that is why. Hopefully I will be the same and it will get better as I go along. I have to be tested weekly in order to visit my mother's retirement home now. Seems odd since the residents have all recently been vaccinated and they just put this policy in place - I think they are concerned about the new variants spreading.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Why are they still doing the 'brain pokes'? Are they more reliable? DH and I both had a gentle swiping of the inner nostrils back in Nov. You'd think they'd do things the least invasive way possible to get more people on board with more consistent testing?
    That’s what I thought too - this was at the hospital testing centre my understanding is that they do the more gentle one in the pharmacies here but I am still waiting to hear back about an appt from them 4 days later. So it doesn’t seem feasible to get one there every week if that is how inefficient they are with booking. The hospital testing centre booked me immediately (like they offered me an appt that was less than 2 hours away - lol)
  • Gisel2015
    From The New York Times:

What Happens When People Stop Going to the Doctor? We’re About to Find Out
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/22/opinion/medical-care-coronavirus.html?smid=em-share

Very true!.