Getting fit at 50 and beyond...200+ pound club

Replies

• BethCW2963
    BethCW2963 Posts: 57 Member
    @azalea4175 Hello from Guam - Feb 23rd, 12:47 pm - It sounds like we have a lot in common! Both of my hips need to be replaced so that was guiding me to take it easy yesterday. I woke up today and felt refreshed. I was still sore (lol that's a daily thing!), but I did some morning stretches and felt better. I also did some low-impact aerobics and later will do some strength training so it's shaping up to be a good day.

I am glad your knee is feeling better and that your weekend wasn't the train wreck you thought it was! I hope you are having a good day and meeting your goals! Take care. (PS - I sent you a friend request)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,482 Member
    Monday, February 22nd, 11:59 pm. Hello from Guam!

It was a bit of a rough day for me in terms of both diet and exercise. Not many healthy food choices in the house at the moment, so I did go over my sugar by 12 grams, but the good news is everything else was slightly below my goal (including my protein. This is consistently well below the recommended daily amount for my plan, which I am not happy about, but I am doing the best I can with the food choices that are currently available to me!)

In terms of exercise, I made the decision to give my muscles a break today and give them a chance to heal. I woke up very stiff and in pain so I focused on doing gentle stretches throughout the day. Considering that it was difficult for me to even rise out of bed and make it to the bathroom a couple of short weeks ago, I felt like it was a good idea since I have been really pushing myself with my exercise routine and I am already feeling a significant improvement.

For this 58 yr old, 320 pound woman, I am taking it one day at a time but still remaining focused on my short- and long-term goals.

May everyone be blessed and have a wonderful day.
    Hafa Adai! I actually spent my last 2 years of highschool in Saipan. I LOVED the islands and am seriously contemplating moving to Guam. I don't need much money to live and I don't need a big space so much so I'm thinking of just buying a motorhome and shipping it to Guam and living out of it. That way I would have minimal expenditures and could just enjoy the island life again. I have lots of Chamorro friends there and if I had to work, I don't care what type of job it is.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• cpnknight
    cpnknight Posts: 200 Member
    I have not been able to post too much lately but I feel I should keep things updated a bit.

Well on Sunday 14th February my ongoing fight against the 300 lbs mark took another set back. I weighed in at 301.6 lbs....
    This 300 lbs number is not going down without a fight, It's been the better part of 2 months or more now!

Still, the fight goes on...
    The Scaly Beast was released this Sunday just gone and, after a very sketchy week, I was expecting the worse.

Weight was 301.6 lbs...Now 298 lbs...Loss of 3.6 lbs.

Not sure how that happened but now I need to make this Sunday into another weight loss Sunday!
  • jm216
    jm216 Posts: 3,733 Member
    Monday, February 22nd, 11:59 pm. Hello from Guam!

It was a bit of a rough day for me in terms of both diet and exercise. Not many healthy food choices in the house at the moment, so I did go over my sugar by 12 grams, but the good news is everything else was slightly below my goal (including my protein. This is consistently well below the recommended daily amount for my plan, which I am not happy about, but I am doing the best I can with the food choices that are currently available to me!)

In terms of exercise, I made the decision to give my muscles a break today and give them a chance to heal. I woke up very stiff and in pain so I focused on doing gentle stretches throughout the day. Considering that it was difficult for me to even rise out of bed and make it to the bathroom a couple of short weeks ago, I felt like it was a good idea since I have been really pushing myself with my exercise routine and I am already feeling a significant improvement.

For this 58 yr old, 320 pound woman, I am taking it one day at a time but still remaining focused on my short- and long-term goals.

May everyone be blessed and have a wonderful day.

Welcome Beth!
    You’ve found a great group of friends here. 🥰

Jill
  • jm216
    cpnknight wrote: »
    I have not been able to post too much lately but I feel I should keep things updated a bit.

Well on Sunday 14th February my ongoing fight against the 300 lbs mark took another set back. I weighed in at 301.6 lbs....
    This 300 lbs number is not going down without a fight, It's been the better part of 2 months or more now!

The Scaly Beast was released this Sunday just gone and, after a very sketchy week, I was expecting the worse.

Not sure how that happened but now I need to make this Sunday into another weight loss Sunday!

Way to go, Tone!
    Take the loss and run with it. So proud of your patience and perseverance... those are the keys to weight loss and maintenance.
    You’re taming the scaley beast!
  • jm216
    Today is Wednesday, February 24th... and the first day is Spring is March 20th...so we are only 24 days away from the first day of Spring here in the United States. Can you feel Spring Fever... I know I can.

The sun is out in Michigan this morning, and Roxie and I had a nice 1 mile walk around the neighborhood. It’s actually 41 degrees out and sunny. We had to watch for some icy spots on the sidewalks, but all in all it was AWESOME!

Have a great day!

Jill ☀️
  • azalea4175
    azalea4175 Posts: 290 Member
    cpnknight wrote: »

Great job! your body may have finally adjusted to the new "set point" and hope you see diminishing numbers going forward. your perseverance is inspiring to me, I have a long way to go and seeing how the daily in and out plays out in the long run is very helpful. Thanks for sharing your journey.
  • azalea4175
    jm216 wrote: »
    Today is Wednesday, February 24th... and the first day is Spring is March 20th...so we are only 24 days away from the first day of Spring here in the United States. Can you feel Spring Fever... I know I can.

The sun is out in Michigan this morning, and Roxie and I had a nice 1 mile walk around the neighborhood. It’s actually 41 degrees out and sunny. We had to watch for some icy spots on the sidewalks, but all in all it was AWESOME!

Have a great day!

Jill ☀️

It is around 40° here in Maine, and the air feels like spring. We have had a pretty mild winter but cold, and I'm looking forward to the warmth and sunshine. you have a great day too!
  • daydrem_dw
    daydrem_dw Posts: 83 Member

Have a great day!

Jill ☀️

Similarly beautiful day here in Maine! I got in two walks—one with the dog and one with a friend. It was just the attitude adjustment I needed!
  • daydrem_dw
    daydrem_dw Posts: 83 Member
    azalea4175 wrote: »

Have a great day!

Jill ☀️

It is around 40° here in Maine, and the air feels like spring. We have had a pretty mild winter but cold, and I'm looking forward to the warmth and sunshine. you have a great day too!
    azalea4175 wrote: »

Have a great day!

Jill ☀️

Hey, I’m also in Maine!
  • jm216
    I agree! Walking outside is so mood boosting! I walked my dog and my friend— socially distanced.
    The sun is out...so it made 27degrees feel warmer. Walking and good conversation go a long way for good mental health!
    🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️🦮
  • jm216
    Wise words from The Rock!
    vjfvy12ann03.jpeg
  • jm216
    Sending you all some ❤️
    3i7sfoiqj1ry.jpeg
  • BethCW2963
    BethCW2963 Posts: 57 Member
    Had to really push myself to exercise today, but I did it. And with that in mind... :D:D:Dtgijrisjelc9.jpg
  • jm216
    Had to really push myself to exercise today, but I did it. And with that in mind... :D:D:Dtgijrisjelc9.jpg

OMG! I just laughed out loud at work! So funny and why don’t they scream?

Jill
  • jm216
    Starting weight: 214 pounds on 1/1/2021
    Height: 5’8”
    Goal weight: 184

Weekly Check-In:
    January 1: 214
    January 3: 211.6
    January 10: 209.7
    January 17: 207.6
    January 24: 208
    January 31: 208
    February 7: 207.2
    February 14: 207.9
    February 21: 210.8
    February 28: 212

Successes this week- working out every day with Gina B- Up to the Beat Fitness on UTube.
    Happy to get in my 30 minutes of exercise every day and walk the dog every day. Logging my food... all of it.

Setbacks- overeating. Snacking junk food.
    The hardest part of weight loss.

I am working on getting it all of the cogs to work together. Here is to a new month and upcoming Spring!

Jill 💐
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,268 Member
    Hello all. Many of you are familiar from other threads. I actually have been looking for a thread like this for a while.

I lost 40 lbs on MFP when I 1st joined before the last economic downturn but gained it back when I went back to work. I lost 20 pounds last year during the pandemic when I was on furlough but got a new job last fall after eventually being laid off due to the pandemic. Basically I have 2 recent issues relative to weight loss, the scale and getting fit. I tend to gain when I work fulltime and I just had to replace my scale. The new one weighs me 6 lbs higher than the old one. This happened when I just had stopped the gain (5 lbs) after I started back to work and started to lose again. I just got the new scale going down but it doesn't feel like progress when the scale says you are still 8 lbs more than you were at your low last fall.

I am also working at upping my activity level and exercise. I try to get 2 strength training sessions in per week and the rest cardio. However I have knee issues. The issue with working full time is being able to plan and make healthy meals and to get in the exercise. I now have the extra time since I don't have to commute but I don't have my gym. I love aquafit and really miss it. It is so good for the core. I know that even with upping my land based exercise I have lost a lot of core strength and muscle tone. Aquafit was a combination of strength and cardio rolled into one. I need land based exercise which I have learned to do with the pandemic but I also need water based exercise. I have no problem going uphill but downhill hurts my knee. Also graded paths bother them as well. So I can't just walk anywhere. Now that I have a paycheck I will work on getting a bike but space in my house is in short supply for exercise equipment. At least the weather is getting better.

However we have survived this pandemic relatively well. My husband is working remotely. Our youngest is living at home looking for a job after graduating finally from college. and is a pleasure to live with. We have twin teen kittens that keep things interesting and we aren't isolated. We both got our 2nd dose of the vaccine Thursday and are starting to feel better though our side effects were mild.
  • jm216
    Welcome Keri!
    We’re so glad you found us!

Jill
  • azalea4175
    KeriA wrote: »
    Hello all. Many of you are familiar from other threads. I actually have been looking for a thread like this for a while.

I lost 40 lbs on MFP when I 1st joined before the last economic downturn but gained it back when I went back to work. I lost 20 pounds last year during the pandemic when I was on furlough but got a new job last fall after eventually being laid off due to the pandemic. Basically I have 2 recent issues relative to weight loss, the scale and getting fit. I tend to gain when I work fulltime and I just had to replace my scale. The new one weighs me 6 lbs higher than the old one. This happened when I just had stopped the gain (5 lbs) after I started back to work and started to lose again. I just got the new scale going down but it doesn't feel like progress when the scale says you are still 8 lbs more than you were at your low last fall.

I am also working at upping my activity level and exercise. I try to get 2 strength training sessions in per week and the rest cardio. However I have knee issues. The issue with working full time is being able to plan and make healthy meals and to get in the exercise. I now have the extra time since I don't have to commute but I don't have my gym. I love aquafit and really miss it. It is so good for the core. I know that even with upping my land based exercise I have lost a lot of core strength and muscle tone. Aquafit was a combination of strength and cardio rolled into one. I need land based exercise which I have learned to do with the pandemic but I also need water based exercise. I have no problem going uphill but downhill hurts my knee. Also graded paths bother them as well. So I can't just walk anywhere. Now that I have a paycheck I will work on getting a bike but space in my house is in short supply for exercise equipment. At least the weather is getting better.

However we have survived this pandemic relatively well. My husband is working remotely. Our youngest is living at home looking for a job after graduating finally from college. and is a pleasure to live with. We have twin teen kittens that keep things interesting and we aren't isolated. We both got our 2nd dose of the vaccine Thursday and are starting to feel better though our side effects were mild.

I too have knee issues. I've been taking my dog to the local elementary school in the evenings and walking the parking lots while throwing her the ball. the land is flat, cleared and no one is there. There is lots of room for her to run, I get in a quick work out and no uneven land to worry about. Maybe that is an option? I also bought a recumbent bike on FB marketplace for $50 and it works great. My hubby walks the treadmill while I ride the bike and we chat and watch tv. The pain in the knees makes it really difficult to get good exercise. We have a pool local to us, but it is across the border in Canada and the border is closed, so I too miss aquafit. Hopefully soon it will open up. good luck to you and keep working at it. This is a marathon, not a sprint. :)