For the love of Produce...

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    annk18 wrote: »
    This sounds and looks delicious. Unfortunately we can't have barley and I can't see a way around it.

Can you use farro (spelt)?
  • annk18
    annk18 Posts: 85 Member
    Thanks for the ideas. I might give him a try next time I have a load of vegetables.
  • annk18
    annk18 Posts: 85 Member
    No spelt as it is wheat. celiac here so not possible.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    hpqxx7eymwur.jpeg

I bought a clamshell of basil that I only used half of but I would rather die than let it go to waste, so I got creative and made something beautiful with the added bonus of using up some things before payday:

Instant mashed potatoes made with homemade chicken stock and a touch of milk, a couple eggs, the chiffoned fresh basil and some leftover parsley, the leftover white cheddar I had shredded in the fridge, plus salt and pepper, garlic and onion powder, dried dill, and a dash of Worcestershire. Put in an oiled casserole and baked at 400 F for 30ish min. I hope it’s good, it smells AMAZING.

Haha - glad I’m not the only one that has to use my herbs 🌿 before they shrivel. Speaking of which ... I have rosemary to use. On cauliflower?
  • Safari_Gal_
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Pretty boring.

Roasted broccoli.
    injh7n51fr73.jpg

I am still waiting for the replacement glass for my oven door to come in to the shop. I decided to go ahead and get the convection going anyway. I am trying to avoid any splatters on the glass that will be in the middle of two other plates once the new one arrives. I don't know why I haven't been roasting as many vegetables this winter. They sure are good. I guess it's because I keep making soup, beans, and bean soup. I'm just one person, and I can only eat so much food. SO. MUCH. FOOD!

😋 you can pass some of that broccoli 🥦 over here. 🍴
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Not produce related, but I decided yesterday to try this black bean fettucine I have had for a while (one serving is 21 g protein and 10 g fiber, which is nice). I mixed the cooked pasta with some sauteed zucchini, cauliflower, green pepper, and cherry tomatoes, plus some chicken thigh, and added a pesto sauce made with kale. It turned out pretty good. Don't know if the pasta would work in a dish with less going on, but it was fine in this one.
  • Safari_Gal_
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    This is maybe not 100% suitable here, but it was good, ridiculously easy, and I found the set-up amusing. On one of the pot-stirring threads about food preferences ("What "trendy" foods do you have no interest in trying?") someone brought up the viral (TikTok) recipe for "That new pasta trend with the tomatoes olive oil and feta lol."

It sounded seriously non-revolutionary to me, but couldn't be simpler to do, and I had some cherry tomatoes that needed to be used up, plus a whole package of local feta, so I decided to try it (scaled down to one serve).

I still think it's not Instant Foodie Enlightenment, but it was tasty (roasted tomatoes! garlic!) and probably took less than 5 minutes of prep: Wash the cherry tomatoes, cut a hunk of feta, put them in a baking dish with the tomatoes around the feta hunk, sprinkle chopped garlic, herbs of choice and a bit of olive oil on it, and bake at 400F until the feta is soft. Cook your pasta, and toss the lot together. Can't beat it for easy.

bha7w4701i4c.jpg

@AnnPT77 - I love the term foodie enlightenment hehe ☺️

@o0Firekeeper0o - you inspired me to herb up the cauliflower!! 🌿
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,586 Member
    Any ideas for using up mung bean sprouts?

We bought a rather big bag on Monday because we thought Vietnamese Bahn Xeo turmeric pancakes woud be a good way of getting rid of roast chicken leftovers from last week. But now we are stuck with quite a lot of bean sprouts. We did Pho tonight which used up some of it. Planning to make Cantonese beef ho fun tomorrow.

Does cooked Korean beansprout namul last a few days in the fridge? Other ideas sought.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I like them raw on salads or sandwiches (back when I actually made sandwiches), but I guess some are warning against eating them raw these days. I always have (I grow various sprouts quite often, although I haven't been lately), and never had an issue with it, but I guess that's a concern.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,104 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    Any ideas for using up mung bean sprouts?

We bought a rather big bag on Monday because we thought Vietnamese Bahn Xeo turmeric pancakes woud be a good way of getting rid of roast chicken leftovers from last week. But now we are stuck with quite a lot of bean sprouts. We did Pho tonight which used up some of it. Planning to make Cantonese beef ho fun tomorrow.

Does cooked Korean beansprout namul last a few days in the fridge? Other ideas sought.

I just try to only sprout as many as I need as they don't last that long. You can throw them in some soup if they're starting to get a little long in the tooth, but once they're gone... yuck. They make ok compost. They go well in so many things. I like to add them near the end of cooking to keep them just barely cooked (enough, but not too much).
  • Safari_Gal_
    acpgee wrote: »

I bought a clamshell of basil that I only used half of but I would rather die than let it go to waste, so I got creative and made something beautiful with the added bonus of using up some things before payday:

Instant mashed potatoes made with homemade chicken stock and a touch of milk, a couple eggs, the chiffoned fresh basil and some leftover parsley, the leftover white cheddar I had shredded in the fridge, plus salt and pepper, garlic and onion powder, dried dill, and a dash of Worcestershire. Put in an oiled casserole and baked at 400 F for 30ish min. I hope it’s good, it smells AMAZING.

Haha - glad I’m not the only one that has to use my herbs 🌿 before they shrivel. Speaking of which ... I have rosemary to use. On cauliflower?

If I have soft herbs such as parsley, basil, mint, or coriander in danger of spoiling I make herb oil. Put the herbs in a small colander within a large bowl (or a salad spinner) and pour over boiling water from the kettle. Let them blanch in the hot water for a minute before lifting out and draining well. Blitz to smithereens in the food processor with olive oil, and then strain off the oil. I use a small tea strainer over the mouth of a plastic squeeze bottle for condiments. The herb oil keeps for a few weeks in the fridge but you coud freeze in ice cube trays to keep longer. Useful for garnishing cooked or tinned lentils. Blitz the strained blanched herbs with a clove of garlic, and some lemon juice for a waste product gremolata if you can use that on the same same day (otherwise becomes an unattractive grey). Pictured here some tinned beans warmed up in bisque we had in the freezer, garnished with herb oil and topped with pan fried cod garnished with food waste gremolata.

hm6gdaffnoqy.jpeg

If I have excess rosemary I freeze it. Crumbled deep fried rosemary, sage or thyme (you only need a half inch of oil in a small sauce pan) makes a great garnish for boiled potatoes or anything bland. Deep frying strong herbs mellows out the flavour. Re-use the herb infused frying oil for pan frying stuff.

@acpgee - genius for the herb oil and gremolata!

Ps - I had mung bean pasta a few weeks ago. I saw a online video for pulverizing the sprouts and adding to semolina. Might be cool!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,586 Member
    I ended using up the last of the mung bean sprouts (200g which was more than the recipe called for ) in beef ho fun. Side of roast cherry tomato was not compatible geographically. If you don't know this side, prick each cherry tomato with a fork so steam can escape, drizzle with olive oil and add optional flavourings such as a halved clove of garlic, a sprig of thyme or rosemary. Roast at 160C around 20-30 minutes turning halfway.
    https://thewoksoflife.com/beef-chow-fun-noodles/
    ujdr0zo3oy9m.jpeg
  • Safari_Gal_
    The kimchi and kraut baristas in here have inspired me — I bought a jar of kimchi. Making from scratch is over my chef 👩🏼‍🍳 pay grade lol ....
    thinking with some cauli rice?

g9m4csmhh523.jpeg
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,104 Member
    @Safari_Gal_

You'd be surprised how easy it is to make. And you don't have to make five gallons at a time. It ferments quite quickly, too. We have a Korean market in town, and they sell quart jars for a much more reasonable price than the "fancy" stuff at the grocery. He also makes a radish kimchi that's really good.

I'd recommend using it as a "salad course" before your meal. So tasty.

You can also use it to make "kimchi stew." With rice, try "Kimchi fried rice." Or just have it next to rice. I'm going to go have some for lunch!