Do you weigh in and Measure each time or Just Weigh only

Replies

• mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    I track as many things as is reasonable and relatively easy. Also things that can me measured with reasonable level of repeatability (the same way/level of accuracy every time). That gives me the best likelihood of seeing progress...somewhere. Perhaps my weight is going down, perhaps my clothing size is a little smaller, perhaps my heart rate is a little lower during an activity I do frequently, perhaps my waist is a bit smaller, perhaps I had fewer headaches this week or whatever makes sense for you.

There will be times when progress isn’t happening the way you’d like, or hormones or weather caused you to retain water (scale) and bloat (measurements/clothes) even though you’re doing everything right. Having other metrics to look at can show progress (over the long term).

Thank you - makes sense. Have a good day. Like it.
  • Jennliftsandspins
    Jennliftsandspins Posts: 150 Member
    I weigh daily. I don’t take measurements. I know I’ve lost inches as I’ve gone down a pants size and a bra size in band and cup. Shorts that were tight in the legs are now loose.

I kind of wish I’d taken some progress measurements though because I’ve been working out a lot more and I know my body has changed more than just my weight. I’m the same size at the weight I am now as I was 10 years ago and 12 lbs lighter. Adding more strength training has made me leaner at a higher weight.
  • mpkpbk2015
    I weigh daily. I don’t take measurements. I know I’ve lost inches as I’ve gone down a pants size and a bra size in band and cup. Shorts that were tight in the legs are now loose.

I kind of wish I’d taken some progress measurements though because I’ve been working out a lot more and I know my body has changed more than just my weight. I’m the same size at the weight I am now as I was 10 years ago and 12 lbs lighter. Adding more strength training has made me leaner at a higher weight.

Congrats on being the same size you were 10 years ago and 12 lbs lighter. I like measuring because sometimes when the scale doesn't move I lose inches so I feel better.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    mpkpbk2015 wrote: »
    weigh daily for trend data. log it weekly on Fridays on MFP. Take measurements on the 1st of the month.

Love your avatar - thank you for input. Appreciate it. Have a great day.

I'm in MFP jail. MFP USED to put jail bars over your profile pic when you had been bad. Bad is subjective, of course. I stand by every statement I have ever said, and if someone had their feelings hurt, well.... oh well. LOL

anyway, they no longer put jail bars over the pics. However, I've been around a long time, and wanted my jail bars. So, I did it myself (badly, but did it ) LMAO

I think I get out of jail tomorrow but I honestly don't know. When I do, Holly (my dog in the pic) will no longer be behind bars :P
  • mpkpbk2015
    weigh daily for trend data. log it weekly on Fridays on MFP. Take measurements on the 1st of the month.

I'm in MFP jail. MFP USED to put jail bars over your profile pic when you had been bad. Bad is subjective, of course. I stand by every statement I have ever said, and if someone had their feelings hurt, well.... oh well. LOL

anyway, they no longer put jail bars over the pics. However, I've been around a long time, and wanted my jail bars. So, I did it myself (badly, but did it ) LMAO

I think I get out of jail tomorrow but I honestly don't know. When I do, Holly (my dog in the pic) will no longer be behind bars :P

Cute - Please Let Holly out of Jail she's too sweet to be behind bars. Wow MFP jail. Glad I missed that phase since I seem to be making a lot of people mad lately.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member

Cute - Please Let Holly out of Jail she's too sweet to be behind bars. Wow MFP jail. Glad I missed that phase since I seem to be making a lot of people mad lately.

i looked. Tomorrow is FREEEEEDOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
  • mpkpbk2015

i looked. Tomorrow is FREEEEEDOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Okay I am gonna check on my sweet Holly. LOL

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    On the check in screen it gives you the option of entering your weight. It also has a place to put your body measurement. Do you weigh and measure or just weigh? Please explain your logic behind doing 1 or both. Does the scale tell the whole story each week of how much you followed the plan? What insights can you get from measuring ?

I weigh daily, and consider my Monday weight my "official" weight for the week. (I don't enter it in MFP, but in a notebook by my bed with the weekly in a computer document I keep.) I measure every month or so.
  • mpkpbk2015
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    On the check in screen it gives you the option of entering your weight. It also has a place to put your body measurement. Do you weigh and measure or just weigh? Please explain your logic behind doing 1 or both. Does the scale tell the whole story each week of how much you followed the plan? What insights can you get from measuring ?

I weigh daily, and consider my Monday weight my "official" weight for the week. (I don't enter it in MFP, but in a notebook by my bed with the weekly in a computer document I keep.) I measure every month or so.

I used to weigh officially on Monday too. Just recently I switched to Sunday since my diary starts on Sunday - thought I would sync the two together. Thanks for sharing.
  • dolorsit
    dolorsit Posts: 92 Member
    I've got a Withings wi-fi scale and step on it every morning. Have been measuring my waist every week or two but nothing else.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member

Hi @mpkpbk2015

I use measuring tape more often ... (I’ll weigh here and there just to gage fluctuations, esp water weight..) I know what dresses I can fit into and buy online based off measurements. ... So I’ve found tape to be more useful for my needs. ;)
    👗👠🪡
  • mpkpbk2015

Hi @mpkpbk2015

I use measuring tape more often ... (I’ll weigh here and there just to gage fluctuations, esp water weight..) I know what dresses I can fit into and buy online based off measurements. ... So I’ve found tape to be more useful for my needs. ;)
    👗👠🪡

Yea another measurer, I was starting to think I was the only one who measured regularly. Actually sometimes I like my tape measure more than my scale. Love the red shoe emoli.
  • mpkpbk2015
    dolorsit wrote: »
    I've got a Withings wi-fi scale and step on it every morning. Have been measuring my waist every week or two but nothing else.
    dolorsit wrote: »

Two measurers in a row. I am on a roll. My tape tells me more sometimes when the scale is not moving about my progress which is why I use both. Have a great day.
  • DezYaoified
    DezYaoified Posts: 143 Member
    I check my weight almost everyday to see how the day before went. I log my weight every week. Occasionally I will measure my waist where my pants sit. More than a measuring tape, I prefer to judge by trying on a pair of shorts I want to fit into. When I first got them I could hardly get them above my knees. Now I can get them all the way up. I can’t wait until I can get them to button and zip.
  • mpkpbk2015
    I check my weight almost everyday to see how the day before went. I log my weight every week. Occasionally I will measure my waist where my pants sit. More than a measuring tape, I prefer to judge by trying on a pair of shorts I want to fit into. When I first got them I could hardly get them above my knees. Now I can get them all the way up. I can’t wait until I can get them to button and zip.

I know what you mean I have a section still in my closet of clothes that I plan to where again. And each new one that fits again is a victory lap around the bedroom. Good luck on your journey. Wishing you much success.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member

I know what you mean I have a section still in my closet of clothes that I plan to where again. And each new one that fits again is a victory lap around the bedroom. Good luck on your journey. Wishing you much success.

Just a victory lap - no bouncing on the bed?
  • mpkpbk2015
    heybales wrote: »

Just a victory lap - no bouncing on the bed?

LOL I would bounce on the bed but It is pretty old and I would probably break it. Hugs to you, thanks for making me smile, I am missing my mom today. Tomorrow is the anniversary of her passing so she didn't get to see me reach my goal. But I know she's looking down from heaven and happy for me. But I was still a little sad today.
  • RunStart34
    RunStart34 Posts: 157 Member
    I weight and measure myself. I go by weight then when I can't see any change I stop for two weeks weighing myself and I measure myself...then I wait another two weeks and weight myself again..I am weird I know but its something that has helped me.
  • tariqari
    tariqari Posts: 38 Member
    I measure several times per week and weigh multiple times a day. I like seeing how everything I put in my body effects me.
  • mpkpbk2015
    tariqari wrote: »
    I measure several times per week and weigh multiple times a day. I like seeing how everything I put in my body effects me.

Thanks for sharing. Have a great week.