Healthier Breakfast?

Hello MFP Community!

I have been following a diet that is an approximation of the diary entry in this forum post for quite some time and I am curious to know if the community might have any advice or recommendations for making improvements?

In particular, I would really like to know about ways to improve my breakfast -- I feel like if I can start my day off with a long-lasting / burning breakfast then I can be more successful in terms of not binging on snacks later in the day.

The breakfast I'm eating now is pretty good in terms of keeping me going for a couple of hours, but I am also concerned about a couple of potential downsides -- lots of sugar and fat.

I've been at 165-170lbs for quite a while and would love to drop 10lbs. and I feel like if I could make some improvements with a couple of better meals then I might be able to crack this nut.

Any thoughts or advice?

nnbckhpihk2g.png

Replies

• Alexandriakay676
    Alexandriakay676 Posts: 56 Member
    Great question... I typically have 2 hard boiled eggs or a smoothy. Looking for healthy vegan options.
  • Andia15
    Andia15 Posts: 104 Member
    I usually have a healthy smoothie that contains flax seeds to give me energy and a bowl of healthy cereal with low fat milk. You could also have a healthy fry up. Low fat sausages, bacon medallions (fat cut off), eggs and wholemeal toast. Add a side of fruit in there too. You could also add some veg to your eggs.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,094 Member
    My breakfast is usually some unflavored skyr yoghurt with protein powder and fruit (berries or banana). It's a high protein breakfast since I was low on protein before (I used to not eat breakfast at all).
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    edited February 2021
    Your sugar total for the day in the photo is bang on and is coming from mostly naturally occuring sugars rather than added sugar so I don't think you really need to worry about your sugar intake, the WHO advice on sugar limits which is what MFP bases it's goals on is for added sugar not naturally occuring sugars.

I also don't think your fat intake is particularly bad, perhaps I would swap out the butter and switch to lighter cheese to reduce saturated fats.

Your fat and sugar intake won't inhibit your fat loss, calories will so if you've been stuck for a while, make sure you're weighing everything - ditch the cups and tbsp measurements and use a scale.
  • HelenWater
    HelenWater Posts: 232 Member
    Walnuts Skyr Blackberries Oats aiming for around 25g protein.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    satiety is personal. theres nothing wrong with your breakfast the way it is. You are within your calories so for weight loss, all is good.

personally, I don't typically eat breakfast. I have an early lunch that can vary between things but recently a sunny side up egg on avocado toast and EBTB seasoning is my go to. It is warm, and fills me until supper. today, it came in at 340 calories. If I use a chicken egg instead of duck egg, it is less. Or, less avocado. Or a lower calorie bread. Plenty of ways to cut it down from where it was today, but that all depends on your own needs and goals.
  • Yogagrl444
    Yogagrl444 Posts: 16 Member
    edited February 2021
    Cut out the pancake and have oatmeal OR add flax seeds to your pancake...it might add more fiber or protein that could help keep you fuller longer. Cut out the Honey and Oil... unneccessary calories (and even Butter, if you can) and try eating fruit instead? (Berries or a banana)

Honestly, if you just cut out the pancake and all it's fixings...you would probably knock down those calories by about 600-700 calories! Just add in more protein instead... or healthy fats, like avocado. Oatmeal like i said too is a good substitute if you are craving carbs (around 150 per serving calories, add some fruit or even a tablespoon of PB and it is still way less than what you are eating now...and will keep you fuller longer. :)
  • stephenallen28
    stephenallen28 Posts: 3 Member
    edited February 2021
    Thank you all so much for these great ideas! I'm going to try some alternatives to the pancakes and I'll also work on measuring my meals more precisely so that I can eliminate any errors in that department.

Thank you for all of the ideas up to this point, and I'll stay tuned for any more thoughts that folks might want to share, I really appreciate it!
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    I was just going to add more protein for breakfast (along with some fiber) may help get the day started off right. I'm assuming this is your largest meal because you want to stay satiated longer? If so, protein+fiber may be a helpful combo. But I'm biased because I think fiber is underrated.
  • GlowskiMcGlitter
    GlowskiMcGlitter Posts: 30 Member
    I usually have a whole wheat english muffin every morning. I make a breakfast sandwich with 1 fried egg and 1 peice of bacon or sausage. I fry the egg in olive oil. I like it as a sandwich because it keeps my portion small and manageable. I do have pancakes or buttered toast occasionally. If you like whole grain foods, you should try Log Cabin whole grain pancake mix! I make mine with oatmilk instead of dairy milk. It's richer and sweeter tasting, in my opinion.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    You could maybe skip the pancakes and honey for breakfast? Add some black beans and salsa to your sweet potato, get all that in a pan, poach the eggs in the mixture and get yourself a delicious cowboy shakshuka type of thing going. Mmmm.

Yep, I'd skip the pancakes too and just have them rarely.

Good suggestions on how to bulk the rest of it up a bit without all the calories of the pancakes!