Share Your Thoughts & Ideas About Managing Stress

Alex
Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
edited February 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
We Want to Hear From You!
How do you handle stress? What can we do to help?

April is Stress Awareness Month. At MyFitnessPal we’re using this occasion to talk about how stress affects the body, and even changes how you eat. Personally I have done a lot less cooking and eaten a lot more takeout this past year.

Our goal throughout April is to help you manage stress through nutrition & movement. We’re thinking things like yoga routines, audio meditations, calming recipes, stress-relief plans, and tips on reducing anxiety through nutrition.

But what do you think? People experience stress and find relief in different ways—we want to know what resonates with our community!

Reply in the thread below and tell us:
  • How do you manage the stress in your life?
  • What would you like to learn more about for managing stress?
  • What other resources would you like to see?
Thanks in advance for your input!

Replies

• Nanners227
    Nanners227 Posts: 4 Member
    I manage stress by listening to calming music, focusing on being present, spending time outside with nature, and doing 🧘‍♀️ yoga.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Deep breathing techniques.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    Outdoor cardio de-stresses me like nothing else.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited February 2021
    Definitely being outside in nature, using all your senses to take everything in.
    Watching the birds at the feeders.
    Playing or cuddling with my 2 dogs.
    Browsing the internet. Escaping through scenery of other places.
    Finding stuff to laugh about, whether it's the chat forums(believe it or not it's been a huge escape) or funny movies.
    Doing something that takes my focus off myself for a little while, such as crochet, jigsaw puzzles, talking to a friend.
    Music but it has to be the right picks.
    Gratitude journal, listing happy memories
    Adult coloring
    Picking one small area to declutter, sort through(1 drawer or shelf)
    Deep breathing, mentally praying to the power I believe in or mentally talking with one of my parents who've been gone many years
    I also take a med. for anti-anxiety and depression, along with V D and V B12

Looking back over the OP, I guess I just focused on how *I* deal with stress and my reply didn't exactly cover anything nutrition or exercise related. I'm a terrible stress eater so in moments when I feel I HAVE to eat something I usually chew gum instead. Or have a cup of coffee, or even raw carrots and hummus. As far as exercise, it falls into the 'just get outside' category. If I walk, great. If not I just am with my dogs. It's really nice if shoveling is involved. :)

I'd love to know if there are other foods that help relieve stress. I've tried tea but don't like it. :/
  • Amanda_mermaid
    Amanda_mermaid Posts: 25 Member
    After crying I either work it out with a workout or I stress eat...it’s like a battle of healthy vs unhealthy. I’d love to say I always choose the workout but not always. Thank goodness dance aerobics are so fun. I’ve never gone through a class without at least smiling.
  • frjanet
    frjanet Posts: 10 Member
    Wow. I am speechless.
    Thank you for sharing your journey.
    It is pretty amazing on how resilient we can be.
    ((Hugs))
  • ReenieHJ
    @Machka9 Huge hugs to you! As the PP mentioned, it's amazing how resilient we can be. Would we choose it that way? Oh he!! no. But I'm a believer in 'everything happens for a reason' and 'looking for a silver lining', as dorky as that all sounds. It keeps me going through the toughness of life.
    I'm sorry your lives were altered in such a challenging way but it sounds like, in many ways, you've triumphed and trudged through onto the other side.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    One thing I wanted to find, during some of the busiest most stressful times over the past few years, was 5 minute stress relievers.

As mentioned above, when I could I would try to do some strenuous exercise because that burned off some of the frustration and got the endorphins going

Or I would try to do little things that needed to be done, over which I had some control, because that helped me feel slightly more in control of the situation.

I searched for other de-stressing ideas and unfortunately, so much of what I read about de-stressing and trying to relax was about adding extra things to your day. Taking a yoga class, going for a 1-hour massage, travel, etc. Those things are great if your stressful situation isn't very time consuming. But when your stressful situation takes up most of your day and when you cannot get away from it, the last thing you want to do is to add more!

So I began collecting stress relief ideas. I've got many I've collected listed in a blog on my website, but I don't think I can share that here.

Where I'm going with this is an answer to the original post: we want to know what resonates with our community!

What about brief stress relievers or stress relievers that can be easily incorporated into a busy day? For example, I found that getting up from my desk at 11 am and climbing several flights of stairs helped. Climbing the back stairs of a tall office building is incredibly boring but gave me time to think and sort things out.

What about stress relievers that may help, in some way, solve the problem? For example, when my husband came home from the hospital, I started ordering groceries online and having them delivered. I've done that for almost 3 years now and it is fantastic. I've also had someone to do our lawns from time to time and have had a house cleaner come in.

Just a few of my thoughts.
  • ReenieHJ
    @Machka9 Your last post reminded me that simple body-working activities have helped me through some trials. A time of depression had me taking nails out of boards. It felt so good pounding and focusing on something so mind-numbing. For my sister, it's most anything that requires being outside and using physical movement to work. ATM, her quest has been to reduce and move a huge pile of snow left by her plow guy. But she tells me it's been very therapeutic.
    These things might sound silly but I swear putting the focus on something simple, mind-numbing, yet physical truly helps. And doing it outside is an added bonus.
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,070 Member
    @Machka9

I've had a pretty stressful like in general and honestly, never used to take the time to de-stress or know how to. Probably the single most useful technique I've ever found is box breathing, or four square breathing. It's simple, easy, and can work in just a minute or two.

Basically you breathe in deeply, from the belly works best, and hold. Then you breathe out deeply, expelling all air, and hold. You call it four square breathing or box breathing because you are breathing and holding for roughly equal amounts of time.

Beginners should count to three or four during all phases, and as you relax you can go longer. It helps me get to sleep at night and is a really good way to quickly relax or relieve anxiety. The body has a much harder time staying tense with this exercise. If you need more information there are plenty of good articles online about it. This is commonly taught to soldiers, medical personnel, and police as a quick way to relax.