Soft diet help -- how to keep losing fat

Howdy, Pals!!
I pray you all are flourishing.

I am looking for advice on how to continue fat loss or at least prevent fat gain on a soft diet. I know calories are what matter most -- but I am equally concerned about satiety.

I had all four of my wisdom teeth extracted this week, and until I am sure the sockets are healed, I'm trying to be cautious about what I eat. I really don't like not chewing my calories. I've never been fond of pureed and liquid foods, but I know those are what I'll need to consume for now. Especially considering that pureed foods are less volumized and easier to consume compared to fresh whole foods, I just want to be sure I'm not consuming surplus calories - especially since my activity level has decreased dramatically as well.

I appreciate (to an extreme) any advice and personal experiences you have to offer.

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    The first few days all I ate was instant mashed potatoes—something I rarely eat.
    How about yogurt. Put cottage cheese in the blender until it is the consistency of cream.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    When my brother needed soft foods Mom made a lot of soups and stews and pureed them.

For something low cal and desserty, try pureeing cottage cheese or yogurt and fruit. Come to think of it, regular yogurt with fruit would work.
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    edited February 2021
    My favorite shake right now is 1 cup frozen pineapple, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 1 cup almond milk, stevia or sweetner of choice blend! It is so yummy 🍍
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Smoothies! I eat one almost every day. The basic recipe is: at least 25 grams of protein with Greek Yogurt and/or protein powder, fruits and/or veggies, and a bit of healthy fat (almonds, walnuts, nut butter, flaxseed or chia seeds). They're pretty filling for me.
    Here's an example of fruit protein smoothie:
    1 cup Greek Yogurt, 5-7 raw almonds, 1 small banana, 1 small apple.
    Here's a green smoothie: 1-2 cups raw spinach, 1 banana or pear, 10 grapes, 1 cup greek yogurt and about 2 T avodaco. This one is kind of sour, so you could a bit of a sweetener of your choice.
    If you'd like something salty, I would think scrambled eggs, steamed veggies with seasoning, and cottage cheese would be some good options.
    Lentil/bean soups may be good options as well.

I think the main thing, though, is focusing on healing and not worrying so much about your weight loss. I know it's hard to accept (because I'd be the same way you are), but in the end a week won't make a huge difference as long as you don't go crazy with your diet!
  • cmhubbard92
    cmhubbard92 Posts: 5,018 Member
    Healing is way more important than sticking to your diet these next few days!

I had all four extracted in August, but unfortunately we lost power for five days after. All my prepped soft foods went to waste, the grocery store lost their refrigeration... I ended up having to jump back to solids pretty quickly.

Foods I had prepped: custard, sf jello, mashed potatoes, pudding, etc. My husband made me scrambled eggs the first day.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!
  • ClearNotCloudyMind
    ClearNotCloudyMind Posts: 238 Member
    Soup surely? Start with a base of onion, carrot and celery softened in a bit of olive oil. Then literally add any vegetable, meat, herb or spice that you like (probably best if they work with each other), cover with stock or water, then let simmer till soft. Whizz using a blender (I use a handheld) and you've a soft healthy supper. Add lentils or beans with the vegetables for a bit more protein, or to thicken it.

Or specifically the Jewish penicillin of chicken soup... put a chicken carcass (or any chicken on the bone) into a pot with a carrot, an onion and a celery stick if you have one, a couple of garlic cloves, some salt and a few peppercorns and cover with water. Bring to the boil and simmer on a low heat till the meat falls off the bones. Serve in a mug or properly at the table. You can add noodles if you want a more substantial supper, and my mother used to sometimes add a dash of milk as she served. It's soooo good when you need food to heal.

Another option is lentil dal? Any spice mix you like, even a curry powder or paste, softened onions (saute in olive oil) and washed red lentils. Again cover with water and simmer (stirring occasionally) till they're soft. Can be eaten with a spoon and swalowed without chewing.

Oh... I've just eaten breakfast and am now craving everything I've just written about!
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    I'm pretty much living on soft foods due to jaw problems

Soups and stews blended, mash and cheese, very soft mac and cheese I can fork mash and get down
    Porridge, rice pudding, Greek yogurt, custards etc

I eat very slowly to give my body time to feel fuller, if I eat while I'm busy and not paying attention then yep I end up snaffling it down and still feeling hungry
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Dairy products are contraindicated after extractions I think. Not sure why. Maybe due to the bacterial in them? Thus I'd stay away from milk, cheese, ice cream, yogurt, etc.
  • suzij27
    suzij27 Posts: 199 Member
    I had an extraction about 6 months ago and went through the same thing. It was hard to find savory and warm foods I could eat.

I sautéed onions and garlic in oil, added cumin and oregano, and then added an extra large can of black beans. I then used the immersion blender and some chicken broth to get it to a consistency I could swallow without chewing. It was filling and a good spur e of vitamins. I think I also added cooked brown rice to it before I puréed it.

Applesauce (no added sugar) was good. And Greek yogurt. Roasted squash. I also enjoyed drinking broth based soups. Mac and Cheese after a few days. You could try making a crustless quiche or frittata. My jaw was so sore for the first 3-4 days, I didn’t want to chew even soft foods.

HTH.
  • ChickenKillerPuppy
    ChickenKillerPuppy Posts: 297 Member
    When I had dental work done recently and was on a similar diet I had a lot of scrambled eggs (or technically egg beaters for me but same idea). Great source of protein, you can add some cheese, and very filling.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,494 Member
    When I had all four of mine out at once, I survived on scrambled eggs, cream of potato soup, and pasta. Good luck!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Healing is way more important than sticking to your diet these next few days!

I had all four extracted in August, but unfortunately we lost power for five days after. All my prepped soft foods went to waste, the grocery store lost their refrigeration... I ended up having to jump back to solids pretty quickly.

Foods I had prepped: custard, sf jello, mashed potatoes, pudding, etc. My husband made me scrambled eggs the first day.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

What a bummer! You did all that prep for naught :(
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    When I had mine out a couple years ago, I had protein powder pureed with cottage cheese (like pudding but lots of protein), I also made protein cheesecake, and for the first few days I ate instant mashed potatoes pureed with cauliflower, white beans and baby food with puréed chicken in it. Given that it looked like gruel and had the texture of elementary school mashed potatoes, it was a surprisingly filling and reasonably complete meal.

I also had pureed soups, yogurt, applesauce, and then added in scrambled eggs and some casseroles with shredded/finely crumbled meats.

• nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Being a chef, you learn how to prepare foods of all consistencys. I suggest buying a sous vide like anova, and a pressure cooker like instant pot. That said, Teeth...who needs Teeth.