Suits

1646567697076

Replies

  • woollenmonarch
    woollenmonarch Posts: 152 Member
    There is a very unholy association of suits with elitism and wealth. Especially since the emergence of Reddit Wall Street bets and the concept of the retail investor

    It’s like citing someone from the KGB or royalty
  • jennacole12
    jennacole12 Posts: 1,167 Member
    5ofseven wrote: »
    5ofseven wrote: »
    5ofseven wrote: »
    5ofseven wrote: »
    s1xqk896ry8e.jpeg

    fudgqia4sgnd.jpeg
    The blue is the most versatile suit

    What’s the shoe color

    Walnut Strands from Allen Edmonds

    w51k0nmbrqyz.jpg

    I was hoping that’s the color you said! I love that look so much!

    They are my favorite, most versatile pair. I have similar in black, but I tend to wear a color palette that works better with browns.

    And we probably don't need to disclose how many pairs of shoes I have. :blushing:

    I am actually into the brown with black suits look right now too. I feel you on the shoes 😂 although, I always tend to lean towards the same pairs. I have some that are insanely priced, I used to rationalize the cost when I worked in my actual office, now that I’m home 24/7 I look at them like 😤😢🤣💸

    @jennacole12

    I wonder if women have a different ruleset for colors. For guys, brown shoes with black suit would be faux pas. Black shoes with brown suit might be passable. Might. Depends on the shade of brown.

    I've got a dark brown suit, I only wear dark brown leather or navy suede shoes with it. I don't own a black suit though, charcoal or midnight navy is my closest.
    Black suit is only worn at funerals. I have one and nobody dies.

    I’m a navy suit guy. I’m an investment banker and navy suit is the thing.

    However, the profession is not the same anymore. They are not so strict about dress codes and I work on Wall Street.

    It started to fade after the 2008 financial crisis. I hope suits come back but millennials and zoomers have killed it.

    The coronavirus put suits into the coffin. It’s only worn at weddings and black tie events now. One can still wear a suit to the office but you will be laughed at. Younger employees don’t relate to you if you are in a suit and they make so little they can only afford a white shirt

    This is the reasoning behind Jeff bezos or Elon wearing no suit at all. It’s a facade to hoodwink the public that they are simple people but they are billionaires.

    My only splurge now is a white shirt, nice pants and shoes. I’ll throw a striped jacket from time to time and that’s about it.


    I’m a Research Scientist to shorten my title a bit, but you’re right and in the office it is definitely slightly more lax, but for meetings or any type of business related travel or even zoom meetings the men and most women still always wear suits. I only wonder if it isn’t glamorized the way it used to be.
  • woollenmonarch
    woollenmonarch Posts: 152 Member
    5ofseven wrote: »
    5ofseven wrote: »
    5ofseven wrote: »
    5ofseven wrote: »
    s1xqk896ry8e.jpeg

    fudgqia4sgnd.jpeg
    The blue is the most versatile suit

    What’s the shoe color

    Walnut Strands from Allen Edmonds

    w51k0nmbrqyz.jpg

    I was hoping that’s the color you said! I love that look so much!

    They are my favorite, most versatile pair. I have similar in black, but I tend to wear a color palette that works better with browns.

    And we probably don't need to disclose how many pairs of shoes I have. :blushing:

    I am actually into the brown with black suits look right now too. I feel you on the shoes 😂 although, I always tend to lean towards the same pairs. I have some that are insanely priced, I used to rationalize the cost when I worked in my actual office, now that I’m home 24/7 I look at them like 😤😢🤣💸

    @jennacole12

    I wonder if women have a different ruleset for colors. For guys, brown shoes with black suit would be faux pas. Black shoes with brown suit might be passable. Might. Depends on the shade of brown.

    I've got a dark brown suit, I only wear dark brown leather or navy suede shoes with it. I don't own a black suit though, charcoal or midnight navy is my closest.
    Black suit is only worn at funerals. I have one and nobody dies.

    I’m a navy suit guy. I’m an investment banker and navy suit is the thing.

    However, the profession is not the same anymore. They are not so strict about dress codes and I work on Wall Street.

    It started to fade after the 2008 financial crisis. I hope suits come back but millennials and zoomers have killed it.

    The coronavirus put suits into the coffin. It’s only worn at weddings and black tie events now. One can still wear a suit to the office but you will be laughed at. Younger employees don’t relate to you if you are in a suit and they make so little they can only afford a white shirt

    This is the reasoning behind Jeff bezos or Elon wearing no suit at all. It’s a facade to hoodwink the public that they are simple people but they are billionaires.

    My only splurge now is a white shirt, nice pants and shoes. I’ll throw a striped jacket from time to time and that’s about it.


    I’m a Research Scientist to shorten my title a bit, but you’re right and in the office it is definitely slightly more lax, but for meetings or any type of business related travel or even zoom meetings the men and most women still always wear suits. I only wonder if it isn’t glamorized the way it used to be.
    That’s neat. What kind of research?

    We don’t use zoom because of the China association. Teams is more secure and offers the same services and more robust and integrated with MS collab tools.

    Every since the Jeffrey Toobin incident, camera on teams is only optional. We don’t want to interfere with people picking nose and lounging without a shirt or worse playing with themselves.
  • woollenmonarch
    woollenmonarch Posts: 152 Member
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    There is a very unholy association of suits with elitism and wealth. Especially since the emergence of Reddit Wall Street bets and the concept of the retail investor

    It’s like citing someone from the KGB or royalty

    Can't a girl just appreciate thoughtful tailoring and some cufflinks? 😩
    If you’re in New York it’s getting dangerous to venture out in a suit.

    One, you get attacked because you are allegedly successful when rest of America is on food stamps. Or you just get robbed because you have things.

    Firms advise employees to dress down because of the economic pitfalls associated with people in suits. This is the number one decline for the tailoring industry. Goodwill people say their inventory of used suits is skyrocketing

    If office folks don’t buy suits and suit accessories, it kills a whole line of industry. Tailors have almost closed business and are only surviving because of women’s clothes

    In fact it would be more appropriate to say suits are increasing in usage among women. That’s a whole another topic.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,287 Member
    Actually, I'm in Montreal, Quebec (Canada), and live in a downtown area nestled between the business and tourist districts. Plus, we have many underground walkways so you're still likely to see a suit in the dead of winter.

    Last fall, I saw a super sharp gentleman briskly walking in an extravagant rosy/magenta-colored two-piece 🥰. A few weeks ago, there was a super tall guy coming off the commuter train in tortoise-shell glasses dressed as a dapper Dr. Who (minus the tardis). What sights to behold! Mind you, those are extremes in dress presentation. They are outliers but suits aren't rare here. Just - as you say in NYC - perhaps not as common as in the past.

    I dunno, I'm chalking it up to this region's history of grasping for world-stage relevancy 🤷🏾‍♀️

    As for women in suiting, last year @sweet_ermengarde inspired me to consider wearing mens' oversized button-downs as a dress and add cufflinks to them. Where is she anyway? We're supposed to start a cult or something...
  • Revolu7
    Revolu7 Posts: 822 Member
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    There is a very unholy association of suits with elitism and wealth. Especially since the emergence of Reddit Wall Street bets and the concept of the retail investor

    It’s like citing someone from the KGB or royalty

    Can't a girl just appreciate thoughtful tailoring and some cufflinks? 😩
    If you’re in New York it’s getting dangerous to venture out in a suit.

    One, you get attacked because you are allegedly successful when rest of America is on food stamps. Or you just get robbed because you have things.

    Firms advise employees to dress down because of the economic pitfalls associated with people in suits. This is the number one decline for the tailoring industry. Goodwill people say their inventory of used suits is skyrocketing

    If office folks don’t buy suits and suit accessories, it kills a whole line of industry. Tailors have almost closed business and are only surviving because of women’s clothes

    In fact it would be more appropriate to say suits are increasing in usage among women. That’s a whole another topic.

    Wow......im im NY.....and if you are on Wall St or in any of the money districts, no this is not happening. Now you wanna come strolling down Willis Ave in the Bronx with your sweet little suit on....maybe, if you carry yourself weak, we can lighten yoir load for ya 😉
  • Shakashakara
    Shakashakara Posts: 224 Member
    5ofseven wrote: »
    s64btdbm7pmj.jpeg

    Back to pictures

    Welcome to the 1960s board room photo.

    Suit is a Suit Supply Napoli, 42L, in navy with black Prince of Wales pattern.

    “Does this suit make my hands look big?”
  • 5ofseven
    5ofseven Posts: 791 Member
    5ofseven wrote: »
    s64btdbm7pmj.jpeg

    Back to pictures

    Welcome to the 1960s board room photo.

    Suit is a Suit Supply Napoli, 42L, in navy with black Prince of Wales pattern.

    “Does this suit make my hands look big?”

    All the better to shush your mouth with, my dear. 🐺
  • Shakashakara
    Shakashakara Posts: 224 Member
    5ofseven wrote: »
    5ofseven wrote: »
    s64btdbm7pmj.jpeg

    Back to pictures

    Welcome to the 1960s board room photo.

    Suit is a Suit Supply Napoli, 42L, in navy with black Prince of Wales pattern.

    “Does this suit make my hands look big?”

    All the better to shush your mouth with, my dear. 🐺

    🙄🤦🏼‍♀️ like that’ll stop the insults
  • 5ofseven
    5ofseven Posts: 791 Member
    edited February 2021
    5ofseven wrote: »
    5ofseven wrote: »
    s64btdbm7pmj.jpeg

    Back to pictures

    Welcome to the 1960s board room photo.

    Suit is a Suit Supply Napoli, 42L, in navy with black Prince of Wales pattern.

    “Does this suit make my hands look big?”

    All the better to shush your mouth with, my dear. 🐺

    🙄🤦🏼‍♀️ like that’ll stop the insults

    Maybe I just like the sound of muffled :bigsmile:

    Seriously though, my hands are very normal sized; a good size; the best, even /trumpcomplex
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,085 Member
    edited February 2021
    5ofseven wrote: »
    s64btdbm7pmj.jpeg

    Back to pictures

    Welcome to the 1960s board room photo.

    Suit is a Suit Supply Napoli, 42L, in navy with black Prince of Wales pattern.

    Sure is nice to see your face... Especially when the rest of you is in a suit. Exquisite.
  • Deadman_Diggingup
    Deadman_Diggingup Posts: 3,082 Member
    5ofseven wrote: »
    s64btdbm7pmj.jpeg

    Back to pictures

    Welcome to the 1960s board room photo.

    Suit is a Suit Supply Napoli, 42L, in navy with black Prince of Wales pattern.

    This one is (what’s the word I’m looking for here...) more traditional (?) than what you usually wear?
  • 5ofseven
    5ofseven Posts: 791 Member
    5ofseven wrote: »
    s64btdbm7pmj.jpeg

    Back to pictures

    Welcome to the 1960s board room photo.

    Suit is a Suit Supply Napoli, 42L, in navy with black Prince of Wales pattern.

    Sure is nice to see your face... Especially when the rest of you is in a suit. Exquisite.

    Exquisite?! That's...that's somewhere in the realm of pretty. I like being called pretty. :blushing:
  • 5ofseven
    5ofseven Posts: 791 Member
    edited February 2021
    5ofseven wrote: »
    s64btdbm7pmj.jpeg

    Back to pictures

    Welcome to the 1960s board room photo.

    Suit is a Suit Supply Napoli, 42L, in navy with black Prince of Wales pattern.

    This one is (what’s the word I’m looking for here...) more traditional (?) than what you usually wear?

    Yeah, that's likely right, or at least should seem so. It's slightly(?) more likely that this is what I usually wear - quiet, reserved, traditional. What I photograph more is the mixed pattern stuff, or something flashier or with more texture.

    I probably have a near equal split in terms of what I own - plenty of casual or unusual suits and jackets, though nothing super loud - but also 6-8 reserved ones that get the greater number of wears.
  • Deadman_Diggingup
    Deadman_Diggingup Posts: 3,082 Member
    5ofseven wrote: »
    5ofseven wrote: »
    s64btdbm7pmj.jpeg

    Back to pictures

    Welcome to the 1960s board room photo.

    Suit is a Suit Supply Napoli, 42L, in navy with black Prince of Wales pattern.

    This one is (what’s the word I’m looking for here...) more traditional (?) than what you usually wear?

    Yeah, that's likely right, or at least should seem so It's slightly(?) more likely that this is what I usually wear - quiet, reserved, traditional. What I photograph more is the mixed pattern stuff, or something flashier or with more texture.

    I probably have a near equal split in terms of what I own - plenty of casual or unusual suits and jackets, though nothing super loud - but also 6-8 reserved ones that get the greater number of wears.

    Yeah, well, I don’t want to brag here, but I am presently enjoying the second suit of my life from none other than the finest low class northern Ontario mall.
  • cowsfan12
    cowsfan12 Posts: 4,150 Member
    5ofseven wrote: »
    s64btdbm7pmj.jpeg

    Back to pictures

    Welcome to the 1960s board room photo.

    Suit is a Suit Supply Napoli, 42L, in navy with black Prince of Wales pattern.

    Totally thought you were a chick - RomainCalm maybe - sorry to hear of your family’s loss man - it’s been a rough year all around it seems -
    your suit game is on point my friend - as for me I’m the 40 yo tee shirt and hoodie guy - but one day I’ll suit up - maybe possibly- hope we see you down the road homie bro
  • 5ofseven
    5ofseven Posts: 791 Member
    edited February 2021
    cowsfan12 wrote: »
    5ofseven wrote: »
    s64btdbm7pmj.jpeg

    Back to pictures

    Welcome to the 1960s board room photo.

    Suit is a Suit Supply Napoli, 42L, in navy with black Prince of Wales pattern.

    Totally thought you were a chick - RomainCalm maybe - sorry to hear of your family’s loss man - it’s been a rough year all around it seems -
    your suit game is on point my friend - as for me I’m the 40 yo tee shirt and hoodie guy - but one day I’ll suit up - maybe possibly- hope we see you down the road homie bro

    RomainCalm is a solid guess, I should be so lucky. Thank you for your thoughts, too.

    I wear hoodies too! I realize everyone here probably visualizes me in this stuff, but I do have several and I wear them frequently at work with dark jeans or chinos, and it comprises much of my work from home gear. They are just a little bit refined version - merino wool mixed with acrylic, so they look a touch more dressed up, but definitely are casual and the acrylic helps durability and keeps wrinkles away. It's like a sweater meets a hoodie, but without the sagging of cotton. Under $30 on Amazon for most colors if you want to give it a shot.

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07P3NN6MC?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title