Myfitnesspal

Message Boards MFP Suggestions/Feedback
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Adding "Added Sugar" to Nutrition Info

MoonlitMuseMoonlitMuse Member Posts: 5 Member Member Posts: 5 Member
As a Dietitian, I have to educate a lot on added sugars, as the recommendations are to consume <10% of your daily calories from these. With the updated nutrition labels on foods, it's becoming much easier for people to discern natural vs. added. However, it's still all lumped together as one here on MFP. I recommend this app to a lot of my patients, but would love for them to see their sugar intake broken down further, especially since I have some people who try to avoid fruit because it contains sugar (and yes - I then go into the education portion of that).

Would anyone else like to see this feature?

Replies

• heybalesheybales Member Posts: 19,194 Member Member Posts: 19,194 Member
    Since it is a required nutrition label field now, at least in the US - would be easy to allow selecting it for display.

Caveat would be a 0 may not be true if prior database entry that was missing that info.
    Hopefully when they added that field they could fill with null instead of 0.
  • cwolfman13cwolfman13 Member Posts: 39,583 Member Member Posts: 39,583 Member
    As a Dietitian, I have to educate a lot on added sugars, as the recommendations are to consume <10% of your daily calories from these. With the updated nutrition labels on foods, it's becoming much easier for people to discern natural vs. added. However, it's still all lumped together as one here on MFP. I recommend this app to a lot of my patients, but would love for them to see their sugar intake broken down further, especially since I have some people who try to avoid fruit because it contains sugar (and yes - I then go into the education portion of that).

Yeah, it would be easier enough to display...but users have been populating the database for years and since added sugar is a fairly new requirement on labels in the US, the vast majority of entries in the database to select from won't have that info which could lead people to falsely believe that what they're eating has no added sugar if it was presented as 0 because of the entry they used. The only way around that would be if each individual user reviewed that information from their database entry to whatever their package states and updated each entry as they went...which would be fairly tedious. MFP doesn't actually do anything with the database, so it would be up to users to populate.
  • SavannahLynn10SavannahLynn10 Member, Premium Posts: 5 Member Member, Premium Posts: 5 Member
    I would love this. I've been seeing a dietitian because I've had weight-loss surgery and she was explaining about looking at the added sugars and it would be nice to add that.

As far as old database entries, I say take away the checkmarks and allow them to be edited by users if they would like to add the added sugars. The checkmarks aren't for verification by the brand, it's just users have put in what MFP believes to be complete nutritional information.
  • Youssef24egYoussef24eg Member Posts: 1 Member Member Posts: 1 Member
    I wish they added it quickly as now all my fruits sugars is mixed with added sugars and i cannot treat them as one .. so hope it will be added soon
  • AnnPT77AnnPT77 Member, Premium Posts: 21,576 Member Member, Premium Posts: 21,576 Member
    It exists as field in the food database, and is an accessible field in the phone/tablet app (I think you can update it in database entries). If you look at an individual food in your diary in the app, the field is there. It's just not populated with data (in most database records, anyway) or showing up on any of the summary pages/reports.
  • kshama2001kshama2001 Member Posts: 24,820 Member Member Posts: 24,820 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    It exists as field in the food database, and is an accessible field in the phone/tablet app (I think you can update it in database entries). If you look at an individual food in your diary in the app, the field is there. It's just not populated with data (in most database records, anyway) or showing up on any of the summary pages/reports.

I find it fascinating that the Added Sugars field is only available on the app, and not on desktop.

li1yudqcbu6l.png

4er2wqbcdllx.png
  • kshama2001kshama2001 Member Posts: 24,820 Member Member Posts: 24,820 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Yeah, it would be easier enough to display...but users have been populating the database for years and since added sugar is a fairly new requirement on labels in the US, the vast majority of entries in the database to select from won't have that info which could lead people to falsely believe that what they're eating has no added sugar if it was presented as 0 because of the entry they used. The only way around that would be if each individual user reviewed that information from their database entry to whatever their package states and updated each entry as they went...which would be fairly tedious. MFP doesn't actually do anything with the database, so it would be up to users to populate.

That's what I have to do anyway for iron values for user-created entries so I have no sympathy ;)

Everyone just eat mostly whole foods. No added sugar. Problem solved :lol:
  • AnnPT77AnnPT77 Member, Premium Posts: 21,576 Member Member, Premium Posts: 21,576 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I find it fascinating that the Added Sugars field is only available on the app, and not on desktop.

li1yudqcbu6l.png

4er2wqbcdllx.png

It looks to me like most (all?) new features are being added to the MFP app, but not to web MFP. (The Community forums may be a complete exception, but that's Vanilla (a separate company that supports the forum software, and with whom MFP staff work on integration of the products). Consider things like Workout Routines, Plans, Meal Scan, Challenges (not the forum ones, the app ones), etc.

There are a few things that are in web MFP but not the app (some things on the profile, for example). I assume those are also moving-forward design choices, too, even though some of those choices seem (to me) . . . unfortunate.