Myfitnesspal

Message Boards MFP Suggestions/Feedback
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Carbs and sugars

kellogg_23kellogg_23 Member, Premium Posts: 2 Member Member, Premium Posts: 2 Member
Hey!
So MFP shows cals, carbs, fat, protein, sodium and sugars. But sugars are carbs. So is it counting the carbs in sugars towards your overall carb count??
Any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• sheila2400sheila2400 Member Posts: 2 Member Member Posts: 2 Member
    My sister is a personal trainer I ask her ? :)
  • ccrdragonccrdragon Member Posts: 3,114 Member Member Posts: 3,114 Member
    kellogg_23 wrote: »
    Hey!
    So MFP shows cals, carbs, fat, protein, sodium and sugars. But sugars are carbs. So is it counting the carbs in sugars towards your overall carb count??
    Any help would be appreciated!

Yes - the sugars MFP counts is a subset of your total carbs. Personally, I don;t pay any attention to the sugars that are listed for the foods I eat.
  • SavannahLynn10SavannahLynn10 Member, Premium Posts: 5 Member Member, Premium Posts: 5 Member
    If you're asking if it's double counting carbs when it asks for sugars - no. Sugars are just part of that total carb number. But a lot of people look at their daily sugar intake so it's one that they keep as a main entry.
  • cwolfman13cwolfman13 Member Posts: 39,583 Member Member Posts: 39,583 Member
    Sugars are a part of carbs...so the sugar count is already included in you carb count. Your dashboard will also show whatever you select it to show. I never watched sugar...I swapped that out for fiber.
  • sarahandersson2432sarahandersson2432 Member, Premium Posts: 1 Member Member, Premium Posts: 1 Member
    I've been sorting this carb issue out today as I started using a Lumen and wanted to understand net carbs. Net carbs is total carbs minus fiber (which is indigestible and can't be converted to energy anyway) you can find your fiber count on the summary of nutrients. For example today my total carbs are 52gms so far of which 23gm is fiber. Net carbs you need to work out = 29gms and that's what you count. I wish the MFP would do this automatically for low carbers
  • kellogg_23kellogg_23 Member, Premium Posts: 2 Member Member, Premium Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you everyone! Very helpful!
  • kshama2001kshama2001 Member Posts: 24,820 Member Member Posts: 24,820 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Sugars are a part of carbs...so the sugar count is already included in you carb count. Your dashboard will also show whatever you select it to show. I never watched sugar...I swapped that out for fiber.

I swapped out sugar for fiber as well.