15,000 steps

I’m trying to aim for 15000 steps a day . The calorie burn for this each day can be up to 600 calories ! I’ve been adding it to my calories each day . Is this wrong ?

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    It depends. Your height and current weight would help determine if this is an accurate calorie burn for you. Are you getting that number from a Fitbit or something similar?

As to whether or not you should add them all to your calorie allowance, that depends, too. What activity level did you choose? Even if you picked "sedentary", that would include at least SOME of your steps, so it's probably not accurate to add ALL of those calories...some are already included.

As with all exercise calories, it's just an estimate as to how many you burn. Many people have to experiment a bit to see what works. You can try adding them all and, after at least 4 weeks, see if you are losing weight at the pace you expected. Some people discover that they can only add about half of their exercise calories.

Your other option would be, if you are consistently doing 15,000 steps a day, up your activity level to very active and DON'T add the calories in. Then, they will be included in your daily calorie allowance.

You would still add in any workouts you do on top of that, but "very active" should account for the steps.
  • wowisforstuds1238
    wowisforstuds1238 Posts: 77 Member
    Just to comment on your thread here. On my cardio days each week I walk 6 miles. 2 in the morning, afternoon, and at night. Roughly takes me between 44 and 48 minutes depending how much I thrown in a little extra jog here or there, but roughly burn around 270 to 280 calories per 2 miles at 2.5 mph with a 2.5-4• incline. So yes, you can easily burn 600 or more based on my results unless my treadmill is a pos and the numbers are wrong lol. That’s always a possibility I guess.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,482 Member
    I’m trying to aim for 15000 steps a day . The calorie burn for this each day can be up to 600 calories ! I’ve been adding it to my calories each day . Is this wrong ?
    If you're setting is correct for you initial profile and you didn't put you're really active, then okay. But those steps are something that are say part of your daily work (say like a server), then adding more wouldn't be correct.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    if its intentional exercise than yes, you should eat back a portion of them (the calorie estimates provided by machines and mfp tend to be highly inflated in most cases).

if this is part of your daily routine (and you gained weight while doing it), then no, do not include it.