Milestones - How do you celebrate when you reach one

2»

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Sand_TIger wrote: »
    I have milestones on my profile too, and I also made a really big map of a fictional island and the path to it is laid out by dots. Each pound I lose, I put a star sticker on a dot. I'm pretty far along in my healthy journey! I use different color stars for five and ten pound marks. I kind of want to get a nice tattoo when I reach my ultimate goal but honestly - just having a healthier more fit life is also a HUGE reward at this point.

That's great! I've been doing something similar for years. Getting a sticker - although it seems childish and maybe it is? - is very motivational for me. I guess I'm still a child at heart...But doing this lets me acknowledge my efforts while visually keeping track of my progress over time. I have a calendar on the wall and I put a sticker on the day every time I complete a task that takes special effort for me. Even if I enjoy the task, like weight training, it's something that goes above and beyond the ordinary. So I get a star for weight training. (Other examples include - getting out of bed and going for a run, making a call I've been putting off, washing the windows, even grocery shopping...) I can look instantly and see if I've been slacking off on getting things done. If I don't see enough stickers there, I'll probably go ahead and do a task I've been putting off. I get the stickers for individual actions that work toward goals, not just when I achieve the goal. Works for me! I don't actually get any reward for racking up stickers, other than looking at the calendar and feeling accomplished and productive. But you could reward yourself for getting a certain amount or combination of stickers.
  • VictorSmashes
    VictorSmashes Posts: 173 Member
    I don't really celebrate with rewards, per se. I choose to let every little thing count as a milestone (from hitting that 50 lb down mark a few weeks ago to hitting 10 lb down from Jan 1st this year to just losing something from yesterday!). I guess you could call my dance party with extra caffeine today as a reward haha. Seeing the scale trend downward is a victory in my book lol
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Eating maintenance for a bit isn't weird. I don't do it to celebrate, but I do spend 2ish weeks in maintenance every so often. It's supposedly good for preventing metabolic adaptation, and it is DEFINITELY good for helping me make sure new habits get ingrained.

It's not a diet. There isn't an endpoint. When I flip from loosing to maintenance at this point I gain a whole 250 calories 'back', and that's about what will you ultimately get back when you hit goal weight too - and will still need to eat well under what my calories were when I started this journey at obese. Taking some time to sort of feel out how to maintain and reinforce what I've learned and how I have been eating is useful to me.
  • mpkpbk2015
    mpkpbk2015 Posts: 766 Member
    Jobbe77 wrote: »
    I just recently set my rewards at 15 pound intervals. New hair do, microbladed eyebrows, new clothes, hair removal treatments. Wanna come out of this pandemic smoking, lol

I hear ya, I wanna look good when we finally take these mask off too. You have come up with some really cool stuff never thought of microblading - I've seen the ads on Facebook. Thanks for sharing - you've got some real good incentives so go girl.
  • mpkpbk2015
    DarlaJL82 wrote: »
    When I went from obese to overweight, I got a mani/pedi. I usually only do a pedicure in the spring and summer so one in the winter and a manicure was a real treat. I'm still a few months from being no longer overweight but I like some of these ideas for a celebration when that comes.

Congrats Darla on your accomplishment those are giant strides. I love pretty toes too, some of these ideas are things I've would have never come up with on my own so I really appreciate all the shares. Have a great weekend.
  • mpkpbk2015
    Sand_TIger wrote: »
    I have milestones on my profile too, and I also made a really big map of a fictional island and the path to it is laid out by dots. Each pound I lose, I put a star sticker on a dot. I'm pretty far along in my healthy journey! I use different color stars for five and ten pound marks. I kind of want to get a nice tattoo when I reach my ultimate goal but honestly - just having a healthier more fit life is also a HUGE reward at this point.

Yes good health in and of itself is a huge reward we give ourselves for sticking to it. What's your tat going to be of. I am curious - I am too afraid of needles to be that bold. I like the map too, it's like the pictures I look of myself each month to create a visual of my progress to look back at when I reached the end of my journey.
  • mpkpbk2015
    I plan on upgrading my Garmin when I hit some weight loss and running distance goals. If things continue on the way they've been going, I'm hoping that will happen in 2 or 3 months.

That's right around the corner, congrats and thanks for sharing. I love the graphic charts the Garmin produces.
  • mpkpbk2015
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Well, I'm one of those people who is highly intrinsically motivated, so outside rewards aren't that important to me. When I achieve a goal, just knowing I did it gives me a huge charge. I'm giving myself all kinds of internal high fives and pats on the back, etc. But I wouldn't reject a cash award if it was offered. *wink, wink*

I'm a big fan of doing what works for the individual. Rewarding oneself is a fine way to stay motivated if that's what works for you. If you work hard for something, you deserve a reward. I think rewards that sound good to me, personally, are fitness or health related, like new workout clothes or gear, or getting a sports massage, maybe a trip someplace with lots of outdoor recreational opportunities...

You've had great success. Reward yourself! <3

Je
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Well, I'm one of those people who is highly intrinsically motivated, so outside rewards aren't that important to me. When I achieve a goal, just knowing I did it gives me a huge charge. I'm giving myself all kinds of internal high fives and pats on the back, etc. But I wouldn't reject a cash award if it was offered. *wink, wink*

I'm a big fan of doing what works for the individual. Rewarding oneself is a fine way to stay motivated if that's what works for you. If you work hard for something, you deserve a reward. I think rewards that sound good to me, personally, are fitness or health related, like new workout clothes or gear, or getting a sports massage, maybe a trip someplace with lots of outdoor recreational opportunities...

You've had great success. Reward yourself! <3

Jenilla - very insightful - you do have to do what works for your individual self. What's meaningful to one person may not have any value to another at all. And I agree fitness and good health are a reward we give ourselves everyday we stick to meeting our goals. Have a great weekend and thanks for sharing.
  • mpkpbk2015
    MsCzar wrote: »
    Congrats again on the Big 1-0-0 !!!

This might sound odd, but I reward myself with a few days at maintenance calories (daily average over 3-4 days). It really helps me relax and take a break from calorie deficit eating. I've found that usually after the third day, I can't wait to get back on track!

Thanks and no it doesnt sound odd at all along as it works for you. Thanks for sharing. You know the old saying beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Have a great weekend.
  • mpkpbk2015
    I don't really celebrate with rewards, per se. I choose to let every little thing count as a milestone (from hitting that 50 lb down mark a few weeks ago to hitting 10 lb down from Jan 1st this year to just losing something from yesterday!). I guess you could call my dance party with extra caffeine today as a reward haha. Seeing the scale trend downward is a victory in my book lol

Here's a big hug for you for that insight. With covid and not being able to move about and do things as freely we should celebrate even being alive. Congrats on the loss. Kudos to you.
  • alisampm
    alisampm Posts: 182 Member
    I tend to do a lot of photos, journaling, and sharing. It's hugely motivational to me to have my successes recognized by others (so that I can internalize the successes myself). So I do a lot of updating here and on a Facebook group, I am in - at every 10 pounds and at personal milestones that I have hit along the way.

I always have good intentions of doing a manicure or massage, but COVID has complicated that.

I also try to make sure I always have clothing that fits but don't shop specifically around weight loss milestones (although hitting a new size is a milestone all in itself).
  • Iamafrespirit
    Iamafrespirit Posts: 30 Member
    I have set a reward goal where I will buy a new pair of earrings for every 10lbs I lose. Nothing too expensive but when I wear them I will remember the hard work I put into getting them. I will also give myself a bigger reward at the milestones. At 25 lbs I will treat myself to a pedicure, at 50 lbs to a facial at 75 lb to new clothes and when I reach my goal of 100 lb I will get a little tattoo that I have been wanting. I have just lost my first 10 lb so goign earring shopping today.
  • mpkpbk2015
    I have set a reward goal where I will buy a new pair of earrings for every 10lbs I lose. Nothing too expensive but when I wear them I will remember the hard work I put into getting them. I will also give myself a bigger reward at the milestones. At 25 lbs I will treat myself to a pedicure, at 50 lbs to a facial at 75 lb to new clothes and when I reach my goal of 100 lb I will get a little tattoo that I have been wanting. I have just lost my first 10 lb so goign earring shopping today.

Hugs and congrats on your lost. Thanks for sharing. Happy earring shopping. 😁😁
  • mpkpbk2015
    alisampm wrote: »
    I tend to do a lot of photos, journaling, and sharing. It's hugely motivational to me to have my successes recognized by others (so that I can internalize the successes myself). So I do a lot of updating here and on a Facebook group, I am in - at every 10 pounds and at personal milestones that I have hit along the way.

I always have good intentions of doing a manicure or massage, but COVID has complicated that.

I also try to make sure I always have clothing that fits but don't shop specifically around weight loss milestones (although hitting a new size is a milestone all in itself).

A virtual hug because of Covid. And go get that manicure you deserve it. Just make sure you have your mask on because the manicurist will definitely have hers. They were wearing them before Covid. I photo journal my journey too it gave me a visual of my success. Have a great sunday. thanks for sharing.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!