What are you reading?

Replies

• Luckee_me
    Luckee_me Posts: 1,426 Member
    Hi all,
    I’m reading “The Invisible Life of Addie Larue”, by V.E. Schwab and “American Royals” by Katherine McGee. Both books are excellent and I would recommend them.
  • LondonParisTexas
    LondonParisTexas Posts: 501 Member
    Thanks for recommendations!Nice to see you in the Book Nook 😊
  • trooworld
    trooworld Posts: 5,860 Member
    @bebeisfit LOL! He is pretty wordy. Hopefully, if you can't finish, nobody is waiting for it so you can renew it.

@Luckee_me I'm so glad to hear about "The Invisible Life of Addie Larue", I got the audiobook from Audible and am going to start it after I finish "The Four Winds". I've been interested in "American Royals" too, I'll definitely put it on my list.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,533 Member
    @bebeisfit Oh man, that would be discouraging reading for a couple hours and only having a small percentage read! It's a really good book, I have a lot of my hardbacks in boxes still and haven't come across it yet. Mine is the unabridged version too!

@Luckee_me That book sounds really interesting, I remember you talking about it now! Such a weird premise, you wouldn't have any really deep relationships because people would forget you right away so that familiarity and comfort that you'd gain getting to know each other wouldn't be there.
  • Katmary71
    I finished David Goggins Can't Hurt Me, I really enjoyed reading about his childhood and in the service but reading of all the marathons he ran while his body was falling apart was repetitive and he's lucky to be alive. His attitude is to stay hard at all costs and be the baddest guy around, I can see why he's that way with how he grew up and I tend to take a somewhat "tough" attitude but he's on a whole different level.

I'm back to the book my Hannah Kristen about the family that moves to Alaska, it's getting better so I'm planning on reading a lot today. I need to look up the one you all recommended by her! I want my SIL to read them too, I think she'd enjoy her.
  • Katmary71
    I need to check the name of the Hannah Kristen, I know Alone is in the title. The Dad was in Vietnam and has a lot of issues, it's frustrating me that the mom won't leave him. He badly needs therapy or needs a good whack upside the head with a shovel. If she leaves him soon or he dies I'll keep reading it or if the daughter leaves home as I'm not reading 300 more pages of people getting abused. It's one thing in non-fiction but unless it makes a point soon I'm done.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    @Katmary71 That's a tough call. If you still have 300 more pages to go, you may want to give it up. There's a lot of abuse and it was hard to read for that reason. However I couldn't put it down because the story was compelling.
  • trooworld
    @Katmary71 I hope you can stick with "The Great Alone", it's really good but I get it with the abuse issue. I had to put down "My Absolute Darling" because it was so abusive and I just couldn't get through it.
  • Katmary71
    @bebeisfit @trooworld I finished the Hannah Kristin, it was disturbing but good. I won't give it away, I wouldn't pass this one on to my SIL though, she's very strictly feel-good only stuff.

Ironically I started watching Firefly Lane and didn't realize it was her too! Do you recommend the book first? I'm only two in so it's not a big deal to wait.

I'm now reading a Carla Neggers book, Stonebrook Cottage. She has people that are in other books but they are stand alone as well. It's good so far, not a real grabber but worth finishing.

I got my library app to work and of course I want to read a bunch of books. You'd laugh if I could post pictures, I literally have thousands of unread books IN my house plus a ton on the Kindle because of sharing with my mom, I like them but they're not my favorite type of books, I feel like a whole world just opened up since my library hasn't been open and I've been unable to drive to the others.
  • Katmary71
    @Luckee_me OK, I'm number 520 on the waitlist for The Invisible Life, it's going to be a classic before I get it!

What other Hannah Kristin's would you recommend? I also am in line for The Stand, I think I'll probably just finish unpacking my hardbacks, I've lived here for 15 years!
  • trooworld
    @Katmary71 I haven't read Firefly Lane yet, although I own it on Kindle. I think I will read the book before seeing the series, but that's me. That's awesome that you got your library app to work! I love borrowing audiobooks from my library app. I love Kristin Hannah's The Nightingale, that was great. I am listening to her new book, "The Four Winds" right now and it is also very good.
  • trooworld
    I finished "The Four Winds" by Kristin Hannah. It was very good. The characters were well developed and the story was heartbreaking but interesting. I can't imagine being in their situation. I started listening to "American Dirt" the other day. I know there is a lot of controversy around that book but I wanted to give it a shot. I've heard good things about it. I'm also still reading "Crossroads of Bones" and really enjoying that.
  • bebeisfit
    I finished The Stand by Stephen King.

Over 1300 pages. It wasn't as scary as I had thought. The story itself was very good, but honestly it was way too long. This version was released 10 years after the first edition with an additional 150 pages.

I only gave it 3 stars for that very reason. Of course once I had gotten so far I wanted to see it through the end.

• LondonParisTexas
    LondonParisTexas Posts: 501 Member
    I really don't like Stephen King...sorry.
  • bebeisfit
    I really don't like Stephen King...sorry.

Lol. I didn't think I did either. This one was definitely too wordy.
  • bebeisfit
    I'm currently reading "The Book of Lost Names"
    Historical fiction set in WWII about a young Jewish French girl who is helping to forge documents for the resistance.

• Katmary71
    That sounds really interesting @bebeisfit , let me know how you like it when you're done!

I'm starting The Friendship List after I post, I finished the first of the Lily Harper Hart series so it's time for something different but it's a good book if you like her books, you'd want to read her series first since it has characters from them.
  • bebeisfit
    @Katmary71 I finished The Book of Lost Names". It was good, but not great. I felt like it lacked something..but I'm not sure. It was a fast read and I love WWII stories and I did learn a bit about the forgery process and a bit about the Resistance itself. 3 stars..maybe 3.5
  • bebeisfit
    Currently reading "The Giver of Stars" by Jojo Moyes

I'm only on the 2nd chapter and am enjoying it.
  • trooworld
    edited March 2021
    @bebeisfit I read "The Giver of Stars" a few months ago and really enjoyed it.