60 yrs and up

Replies

• glojlilly
    glojlilly Posts: 313 Member
    edited February 2021
    Oh my goodness. I applied for another term life and they want to do a medical exam. I thought for sure my answers were good enough. Oh boy. I have another reason to get down to business here.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    InHimLin wrote: »
    I believe an official group has to be formed, at least that's how it was when I joined a group several years ago. The group name showed on the right side of the Community page. I remember we were able to respond to each person individually and it would show up under their post. For example, if you read my post sometime tomorrow, several people may respond to this post and they would all show up directly under this post and you wouldn't have to look for them. I hope that makes sense. :)

I had a great thread on here before that was going strong. I decided to turn it into a group and it slowly died out.
  • KeriA
    InHimLin wrote: »
    It snowed quite a bit yesterday so I'm staying inside today. I worked around the house, read a book, watched some you tube shows about health and wellness, and did laundry. I recently moved and need to find my Leslie Sansone walking dvd's. I downsized a few months ago and moved 2200 miles from my home of 40 years so I'm going through a big adjustment right now which is why I probably gained weight. I lived in warm weather and sunshine and was always on the go but now I'm trying to adjust to cold weather and snow.

I hope you all had a nice day and stuck to your health plan. Talk to you tomorrow. Night.

I enjoyed the snow when it was here. I always go cross country skiing down our street when we get a lot. This year I took a walk in the snow with my husband and went cross country skiing too. Loved it.
  • KeriA
    glojlilly wrote: »
    My son's final take this a.m. Women on here are already vulnerable and some have low self-esteem in being overweight. You join not only for app features but to have friends new and old to support your weight loss journey. Thats why it's called a community. And I toldly agree. But now, I will personally stick to accepting mostly female friend requests to those I know and don't know. If I want a hookup, I will go to the hookup apps. I intend to enjoy all the benefits of using MFP for losing 20 lbs at age 62.😊

I have been getting some pretty risque friend request from women recently. Of course I don't accept. I have some great friends on here that are men but most came from threads of were friends of others I knew.
  • KeriA
    glojlilly wrote: »
    Wow, the snow is melting here in Texas. 50 degrees!!! I feel like hibernation is finally over. My sprinkler did burst but the main water system is good. I may go walk at a park today.

My son lives in Texas and insulated his pipes but a underground water line burst. He luckily had power most of the time.
  • tomaspetro
    tomaspetro Posts: 1,507 Member
    Hi there all. I'm 71 and joined MFP in Jan of 2014. I had great success and lost over 160 pounds in about 15 months.I joined a biggest loser group at MFP and had a great time which kept me motivated. Thinking that I knew it all and didn't really need to track, I left MFP in 2016-17 and put 90 pounds back on and finally found the desire to start up again. I really hate thinking about food even though I know it's a necessary medicine to swallow. I'm glad this discussion group caught my eye and I hope to contribute
  • KeriA
    Well I read your posts. I didn't quite wait a month to check in and February is short too. It was fun remembering the snow again.

Well I started to lose some of the pounds I gained when I started working fulltime again then my scale started dying on us. Of course the new one weighs me over 6 lbs more than the old one. I just got the new scale to go down 4 pounds. I feel like I am working real hard to go backwards. I lost 20 lbs last year while on furlough.

The good news is we just got our 2nd vaccination and have been recovering from relatively mild side effects. I only had a sore arm for the 1st one. This time only sore arm, some tiredness, light-headedness and chills. I started to feel slightly nauseated but had some soup and that solved that. I took a half day off work and an hour off to get the shot.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    I get my second one tomorrow. Dh got his second last Friday. Very minimal side effects, hope I am as lucky!
  • mssue18
    mssue18 Posts: 117 Member
    I got my second shot this morning. My arm is sore, and I hope that’s all the side affects I get. I had a good day today with eating. I had salmon and string beans for dinner and when I eat a meal with salmon I feel I’m doing something good for my health to prevent any problems hopefully. Glad I found this thread.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    edited March 2021
    Hey there! Hope you all are doing well. Went fishing for a couple of days last week. Had a great time with the boys and caught some fish for a change. Had some fresh steelhead for dinner tonight. That was a great reward for putting up with some nasty weather Friday and Saturday.

Got my first Covid-19 vaccine today. Second dose appointment set for three weeks. No side effects so far.

Have an awesome week, y'all!

*edited by a MFP moderator
  • glojlilly
    edited March 2021
    I have been getting some pretty risque friend request from women recently. Of course I don't accept. I have some great friends on here that are men but most came from threads of were friends of others I knew.
    [/quote]
    @KeriA Hello. Yes I heard that there was a hacker in '18. I'm sorry we are experiencing this and are being subjected to these unnecessary distractions. I don't know what it is supposed to accomplish besides being annoying. But hopefully the moderators can soon clean them out. I couldn't get any serious friends to join here. The guy I had trouble with was legit and wasn't a bot but was set on coming on here with a true pic profile to only pick up women. But all is fair as I am truly being more careful and deleting nude requests right away. And if I do get nice requests, I will investigate before accepting here on. Glad you are living up the threads. Resurrection time is here! Smile.
  • KeriA
    mssue18 wrote: »
    I got my second shot this morning. My arm is sore, and I hope that’s all the side affects I get. I had a good day today with eating. I had salmon and string beans for dinner and when I eat a meal with salmon I feel I’m doing something good for my health to prevent any problems hopefully. Glad I found this thread.

If you have side effects they are usually on the day after the shots.
  • glojlilly
    edited March 2021
    My son lives in Texas and insulated his pipes but a underground water line burst. He luckily had power most of the time.
    [/Quote]
    @KeriA Wow, it's been unbelievably many people who had water damage. My family in Michigan called and told me how to wrap the pipes. I left home at 21 and had forgot how. I have never seen such a low freeze to last so long here in hot Texas. I'm glad your son knew what to do! You would think pipes going down the ground underneath would be ok that far down. We lost power for only one day for just over 6 hours. I wish that the media had educated the state of Texas before it hit since they knew it was coming weeks away like they do the hurricanes. So many homes were ruined. I heard a few organizations are trying to help with some costs. 👍
  • glojlilly
    edited March 2021
    I am trying to wait to get the Johnson and Johnson since it is one dose. I can give shots but am a big baby at taking them. Besides I heard talk of them offering a possible booster for the earlier ones not saying they won't do the same for the JJ. Glad you all had minimal side effects and that they quickly went away.
  • farfalla429
    farfalla429 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi all,
    Just browsing the message boards to find some folks that would be interested in joining my friend group. I am turning 70 in April, am a cancer survivor, and eat mostly healthy. I like to cook so much of my food is made from scratch but I also like to get meals from places I consider healthy. I have always been nutrition conscious but since the lockdown have been less active. I recently joined a program in my local area called Eat Smart, Move More to prevent diabetes and that provides me with good information but I would like to have some friends on this app to help keep me motivated.
    I live in Raleigh, NC and now that the weather is getting more reasonable I will start to do work in my years and as soon as I get my second vaccine (this Friday) I will venture back out to the gym.
    I am not inclined to share much information in a post like this (there are a lot of scammers on line) but would be interested in obtaining some folks that would be interested in being part of my friend group.
    I do bring a lot of knowledge to the table. I am a trained integrative health coach from and can share also share some cooking tips.
    Look forward to hearing from you so we can be "friends" on this app.
    Have a wonderful day,
    TJ
  • cjlcarmody
    cjlcarmody Posts: 22 Member
    Hello some years back I went from 103kg to 77 and it sort of fell off steadily without too much effort. Now I creeped back to 88kg. All my health vital are great, but I know I would feel heaps better 10kg lighter. I think I have permanently slowed my metabolism so this time I'm finding reducing my weight a greater struggle. I'll be 60 at the end of the year.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    :) It's good to see more sharing on this thread. I continue to follow my good habits and keep my weight at bay. Having a daily plan and a schedule have been very helpful to me. It helps, too, that I live somewhere with weather that allows walking every day. And I have a recumbent exercise bike in my living room facing the TV. I seek every opportunity to be active.

:) I got my first moderna jab last month and will get the second one on Friday. Even after the vaccine I don't plan to change my habits of staying in my neighborhood and picking up groceries and supplies curbside to stay out of big stores.

:) In the years I've been here, I've gotten many weird friend requests and don't accept them. Everywhere you go in life there will be people you don't want to deal with.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • glojlilly
    🌌 my metabolism has slowed as well, age 62. It's also harder to lose weight but I'm starting to trick myself by ignoring normal food servings and stopping when I start to feel full.
    🌌I have noticed I feel more workout energy from the stationary bike than a brisk walk. I would have to jog or run to get the same effect.
    @farfalla429 Glad to accept new friends that are motivating! 😊
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Hey there! Hope you all are doing well. Went fishing for a couple of days last week. Had a great time with the boys and caught some fish for a change. Had some fresh steelhead for dinner tonight. That was a great reward for putting up with some nasty weather Friday and Saturday.

Got my first Covid-19 vaccine today. Second dose appointment set for three weeks. No side effects so far.

Have an awesome week, y'all!

*edited by a MFP moderator

Wow - My last post got edited by the MFP moderator. I'm trying to figure out why. ❓❓❓

Spring has arrived in Idaho. 55 degrees and sunny yesterday afternoon. Green patches are starting to appear in the yard. YAY!

Anyone posting in this thread is welcome to add me as a friend. I'm always glad to share support and encouragement.

• hockaymom
    hockaymom Posts: 1 Member
    Hi, everyone. After many years of being away from MFP, I decided to get back. Hello to you all!!!