What Was Your Final Revelation to Lose Weight?

Today I stepped on the scale and saw a number that I've never seen before.

This visual, this epiphany, left me exasperated. Though that may have been my obesity 🤣

So I am here to ask you: what was your revelation that something needed to be done?

Replies

• CatholicCurtis
    CatholicCurtis Posts: 22 Member
    Just was thinking a lot about how I'm 42 years old already and how young and healthy I was back in the 90s. I've lost the weight before...Not all of it as I'm trying to do now but I went back to bad, unhealthy eating habits. Working from home has been a Godsend. Weight is falling off again and just thinking to myself...what took you so long? When I gained all the weight back over time, I got up to about 284 and I knew that I couldn't do that anymore. Don't want to die by the time I'm 60. Now down to 249 and trying to get back to 180 like I was about 20 years ago. Can never be young again but it's within my power to get in great shape again. If anybody wants to go along this journey with me, definitely send me an FR. Have a wonderful day, everybody!
  • aquitteriamnot
    aquitteriamnot Posts: 78 Member
    I’ve made a lot of changes in my life in order to have a closer relationship with Jesus. My Lack of self-discipline when it comes to food is something I still struggle with and I realized it’s time to overcome it.
  • CatholicCurtis
    CatholicCurtis Posts: 22 Member
    I’ve made a lot of changes in my life in order to have a closer relationship with Jesus. My Lack of self-discipline when it comes to food is something I still struggle with and I realized it’s time to overcome it.

I really get that. Self-discipline is a hard thing to handle especially with so many fast food places on every single corner. Love God with your heart, mind, BODY and soul. There is plenty of Scripture about gluttony that I think I've purposely looked over in the past.
  • JustaJoe00
    JustaJoe00 Posts: 777 Member
    Similar to what was mentioned above, the looking forward and seeing it going to even worse has to stop you. I just finally realized how i was feeling and didn't like it also.
  • Facet14
    Facet14 Posts: 7 Member
    For me, (the big moment for me was when I was 25 and I was walking upstairs to my flat and I noticed I was breathing really heavily. It frightened me how much I was struggling to get up some stairs at my age and I was terrified that if I didn't make some changes it was only going to get worse to the point I couldn't walk upstairs at all
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I was 38 and went in for my annual physical and blood work...my blood work was horrible in every way imaginable, and my Dr. straight told me that if I continued to do what I was doing I would likely be very sick in a decade or less and very possibly dead by 60.
  • NyteMirage
    NyteMirage Posts: 315 Member
    I received my bloodwork results from my doctor last month and realized I'm pre-diabetic. I need to take my A1c from 5.8 down to 5.6 or less. So I'm back to tracking my food, exercising, and watching my carbs/sugars. I want to lose 30 lbs before I have to go back for a six month bloodwork recheck. I do NOT want to become diabetic!
  • JGT001
    JGT001 Posts: 21 Member
    My dad had a heart scare when he was around my age - and he was in better shape than me when it happened. I realized that I was always tired, got out of breath easily & was getting heavier (& more unhealthy). It doesn't take a genius to know I was setting myself up for a bad outcome. Family & friends mean a lot to me and I want to spend as many years as I can with them, so I needed to reverse the course I was heading down.
  • tbilly20
    tbilly20 Posts: 154 Member
    My body has always been pretty happy between 185 and 200 lbs. As I gain towards the 200lb mark though, I feel soft and my energy decreases. This used to be ok, but last year I had a heart valve repaired. My energy tanked and my activity level went down with it. My body comp changed from 185 pounds with considerable muscle to 195 lbs with much less muscle. I started feeling sluggish and lethargic. The wake up call came for me was when I could not keep up with my 6y/o. She wanted to play, and Daddy had to rest. If I was going to be here to walk her, and her little sister, down the aisle, I needed to change. I flipped the script on my diet. I cut processed carbs and increased protein. I started lifting weights for the first time in 20 years. My body has completely changed in just 90 days. I feel strong again. I can play with my kids and be the Dad I want to be! I still have a bit to go to get to my goals (more vanity than anything else now). Maintaining this return to form will always be because of my girls. They are my reason to be on this Earth!