Not Losing Weight - Why?

imgritz
imgritz Posts: 47 Member
I am following the caloric and macro goals. I log all of my food. I drink 64 oz of water each day. I walk 15 minutes a day.

Everyone I talk to tells me a different story. Personal trainers tell me I should exercise more. My doctor tells me it is calories in calories out. Friends tell me I should drink a gallon of water each day. GNC tells me my testosterone is minimal because I'm nearing my 60s. A few people tell me it's a gut issue and I should take probiotics.

What do you suggest? Lowering calories? Walk more?

Replies

• Remigtonhill
    Remigtonhill Posts: 9 Member
    edited March 2021
    imgritz wrote: »
    I am following the caloric and macro goals.

This is your problem - assuming you are accurately measuring/weighing/logging. These "goals" need to be adjusted.

Laws of thermodynamics. If you input less energy than you output, you must draw from your energy reserves - your body fat. No way around it. Eat less, exercise, or both. The 15 minutes of walking isn't even worth mentioning or accounting for.

Quite likely, you need to, at the minimum, eat less. If you are willing, in addition to eating less, actually exercise. I firmly believe weight loss primarily begins and ends in the kitchen - with exercise useful for improving health in other areas. You aren't going to outwalk/outrun a suboptimal diet for weight-loss.
  • Remigtonhill
    Remigtonhill Posts: 9 Member
    sijomial wrote: »

BTW - ignore the friends that think drinking a gallon of water mysteriously tips your energy balance into deficit or advise eating probiotics for some undiagnosed "disease". Signs of people who will do anything to lose weight except eat less!
    Truer words have yet to be spoken.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    OP how long have you been doing this?
  • imgritz
    imgritz Posts: 47 Member
    Thank for all of the advice guys. I understand what I need to do.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    imgritz wrote: »
    Thank for all of the advice guys. I understand what I need to do.

Ok, just for clarity, what have you understood that you need to do? The experienced members here can confirm or help guide you, and it will also be useful for new people reading this thread to learn the answer.
  • Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    edited March 2021
    As mentioned logging correctly is critical... I would say 80% plus of people that never took the effort to seriously log everything entering there system, tend to not really have a good idea what a TBSP of anything actually is. I say this based on the people around me, past girl friends and even my Fiancé.

A heaping tablespoon of peanut butter is much more then an actual leveled Tablespoon. That oil or butter you throw in the pan when you Sautee your mushrooms or cook a stir-fry is very considerable amount of calories most of which ends up in your plate. Salad dressing can be a real tricky bugger, specially if using the full fat dressings. How much butter are you actually putting on your toast or bread?

Food portions can also be tricky, specially when trying to determine the right entry to use in your food diary. One entry for the same food at the same weight can vary greatly. Try not to pick the lowest one, unless your the guy that trims all the fat off their strip loin, and cooks it till it's shoe leather (Chef's around the world grimace). lol

All this to say, if you are counting accurately the weight will come off... If this sounds tedious, and if you've been doing this for 2-3 weeks with no change, you could potentially try a small reduction ~200 calories per day, and or walking more etc. But I think understanding what your eating and it's macro content including calories is a very important learning experience.
  • cyfehr76
    cyfehr76 Posts: 45 Member
    My co-worker who was a health nut always told me, "You can't out run a diet".