Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fitness and diet myths that just won't go away

Replies

• freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    edited March 2021
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    freda78 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    But "breakfast" isn't used in that sense. Especially when you add lunch and dinner to the schedule. The whole motto was written by General Mills to sell more cereal. And many trainers and coaches INSIST that their participants should be eating a morning breakfast...................just because.

Maybe in your country and/or experience it means "whenever you first eat be it at 7am or 10pm at night" but here, breakfast is what you eat when you get up.

Lunch is still lunch and dinner is still dinner, even if it is the first food of the day to pass your lips.

It doesn't mean that in the US either. It's a literal parsing of break-fast, but the word breakfast generally means a morning meal, not the first meal of the day, whenever eaten (people who eat twice in the morning will joke about first and second breakfast), and if one eats for the first time at mid-day it's lunch (unless the biggest meal in some places, where the more archaic "dinner" for the largest meal is used) and if it's in the evening it is dinner. It also doesn't depend on food -- my morning meal would be breakfast even if salad (a former habit of mine) unless it's in place of breakfast and lunch and somewhat large and then it might be brunch.

Worth noting also that the translations for breakfast in other languages generally aren't literally "breakfast" or "first meal of the day" but their terms for the morning meal.

To circle back to your post that kicked this all off, you are right that when people claim that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, they are intending to say that eating in the morning is extra important. (And I agree with your point, it's not.)

Indeed - the myth I am referring to is the one that says you should eat when you get up to help keep your weight in check as it is "the most important meal of the day"

We call it "breakfast" and I had not realised there would be someone out there who had a broader definition of "breakfast", but its name is of course beside the point - I am talking about the message.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    tariqari wrote: »
    tariqari wrote: »
    Staying hydrated assists in balancing the calorie deficit. It’s essential, not a myth, backed by science and any M.D. you can find.
    Water is essential for life. But you DON'T need a gallon of water a day unless you're sweating out that much. And the majority of people don't. Total broscience.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This is dead wrong. Firstly I don’t count in gallons and no one should either unless you’re casually talking with random people about non fitness related things. 2 liters a day is essential for proper water maintenance and the universal disagreements to that on my comment is laughable. An additional 500ml to 1000ml is necessary to prevent dehydration when exercising. Yes, exercising in which case you should be sweating. The only people who aren’t going to be sweating so much are people who do not need to lose a significant amount of weight, are genetically predisposed non sweaters, or in what is most likely the case: not going far enough. Telling people drinking more than 2 liters is “broscience” is absolute nonsense and false.

I looked it up to be sure and 1 gallon is 3.78 liters. I never stated anywhere someone should be drinking past three liters. My original post is accurate and for those saying they don’t even drink 2 liters (approx 8 cups of water) per day...then there are serious issues that need to be addressed with their nutrition plan.

There's another one to add to the diet myths thread - if you aren't sweating your *kitten* off you aren't doing it right (or hard enough).
    I don't sweat much and I instruct a cardio kickboxing class 3 times a week. I have hella dry skin though, which is why moisturizing is important for me.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    Drinking water helps with weight loss

Carbs are bad

Starvation mode
    Even better when you hear talking of "good carbs" and "bad carbs". Reality is is that if someone is meeting their nutritional RDA's (all food has a nutritional value) and macros counts correctly, it almost doesn't matter if the carbs are "good" or "bad". White rice and pasta are deemed "bad" carbs because it's "processed". And yet countries that consume them on a regular basis outside of US don't have the same weight issues.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I 100% agree.
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Somatotyping: ectomorph (skinny build), mesomorph (medium build), endomorph (heavy set build)
    IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Thoughts on this article? https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/ask-the-ripped-dude-magical-macronutrient-ratio-for-fat-loss.html I must admit that it helped me in thinking about and customizing my macros to me.