Which impacted your diet more Watching Carbs or Watching Proteins or Calories

This a poll because I have seen answers all over the place with respect to this on my MFP. And was just wondering what the overall consensus is. And what the reasoning is behind your choice. I know there are avid Keto folks, and Avid Paleo folks. And many other diets, so please humor me. I am not going to taint the results with my opinion until the end. thanks for participating.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Calories.
    I ate the same foods when I was fat, when I was losing my excess weight, when I'm maintaining at goal weight - just the calorie balance changed.

(FYI - I have a high carb diet and I'm mindful of my protein levels to support my exercise.)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Calories
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Calories
  • mk820820
    mk820820 Posts: 49 Member
    Definitely calories. I am doing a dirty keto menu now in maintenance because I feel so much better restricting my carbs (20-30). I believe I might be allergic to gluten there is such a difference!
    Also I realized that I have never really cared for potatoes, rice, pasta. I think they are pretty tasteless.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    calories
  • FitAgainBy55
    FitAgainBy55 Posts: 179 Member
    neither, calories.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Carbs. When I don't eat *carbs I lose weight. I have much more trouble staying under my calories when I eat those things.

*(by carbs I mean bread, potatos, rice - I still eat lower carb veggies and fruit)
  • stephie_nyc
    stephie_nyc Posts: 96 Member
    Calories. But directly under that, protein. I know I could lose weight in calorie deficit with any macro split, but I do enjoy the muscles and protein fills me up.
  • JCT1000
    JCT1000 Posts: 19 Member
    Calories for me as well. My wife is vegan so we eat carbs alot, but mostly healthy higher fiber kind. We'll indulge in pasta probably once a week.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Calories.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Calories first,but I also try to reach a protein and fiber target.

There's no way I could sustain giving up certain types of food just for the sake of weight loss, when I've been able to do successfully by eating all types of foods. However, if there were certain foods that were directly negatively affecting my health, then I might be able to avoid or limit those.
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 617 Member
    Calories. It's the only thing that impacts weight loss.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Calories. I did have a protein goal, and I think eating enough protein helped my diet be satiating for me, as well as a number of other things I did, but that wasn't really about counting or logging, but just food choice that I would have done without MFP. Calories were the thing that I found most helpful to track, by far.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    Still comes down to CALORIES. Methods of eating are for preference. Regardless of diet, if there's a calorie deficit, weight loss will happen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png