My journey to a healthy life. This is my progress:

Replies

• Hello Cristina. I bumped into your story while looking if Caroline`s Girvan Epic program really pays off :). It`s been a week since I read your blog here and every other day I come back to re-read parts that I find interesting, to take notes and to add motivation for myself :smiley: . I saw in one of your replies that you also built a Facebook group, and I was wondering if I can join there?

Thanks and keep up, you are really impacting people`s life 👏
  • TinaZ2018
    TinaZ2018 Posts: 314 Member
    edited February 2021
    Hello Cristina. I bumped into your story while looking if Caroline`s Girvan Epic program really pays off :). It`s been a week since I read your blog here and every other day I come back to re-read parts that I find interesting, to take notes and to add motivation for myself :smiley: . I saw in one of your replies that you also built a Facebook group, and I was wondering if I can join there?

Thanks and keep up, you are really impacting people`s life 👏

Hi! Thank you for the kind words! I messaged you.
    Caroline Girvan's Epic programs are the most efficient (and free) strength programs that I've tried so far. She has progressive overload even if you use the same dumbbells' all the way, she is super creative (I've learned many new exercises), she does isometrics, plyometrics, strength, cardio resistance, balance you name it. It's great for sculpting your body and adding muscle mass. Also great for men but most are reticent to try workouts done by women trainers. She is really hard core at times. Now I am at day 39 of Epic II. I highly recommend them. I'll leave the links below for who wants to do them.

Epic I
    https://youtu.be/c_-v1fYJGO8

Epic II
    https://youtu.be/Muh4Cyis_G8

• azalea4175
    azalea4175 Posts: 290 Member
    so inspiring! I wasn't too sedentary until I got a desk job. Then it was all downhill. You have really opened my eyes to the excuses I have been using for not working out at home. Thank you for sharing!!
  • TinaZ2018
    azalea4175 wrote: »
    so inspiring! I wasn't too sedentary until I got a desk job. Then it was all downhill. You have really opened my eyes to the excuses I have been using for not working out at home. Thank you for sharing!!

Thank you for the kind words. I get it. I never liked sports and 12 years of desk job didn't help at all. But I've learned that if you really want to make a change, you'll find a way. It will certainly be very hard at first but after you get past that difficult part, it's all motivation, satisfaction and rewards. Not to mention how much it improves your health. :-)
  • Fitforevermore
    Fitforevermore Posts: 399 Member
    I found this thread this morning and found it really inspiring. I'm a similar age to you and I like strength training but I don't get to do much as I have three children and a full time jobs. However I do fit in a run, a cycle, 2 kettlebell sessions , yoga and Pilates each week, after seeing you progress I think I could be working more effectively. Any advice? I have kettlebells 6-12 kg (probably will get 14kg soon) and I just bought some resistance bands.

I tried the Caroline Garvin you recommended today, I did a kettle bell one as I don't have big enough dumbbells or a bar, I loved it!

But I also see you making lots of progress with bodyweight exercises.

Anyway, any advice as to how I could make more effective use of my training time at home with my limited equipment. I can usually dedicate 40 minutes to an hour 5 days a week.

Thanks again for the inspiration!
  • blackburn23
    blackburn23 Posts: 385 Member
    Your dedication is inspiring! I have a long way to go and now after seeing the progress that you have made doing fitness at home, I have no excuses. I will be 55 in June and started back on MFP in January. I have been walking and doing low-impact aerobics mostly, but no strength training. I have the weights, I just need to use them. Thank you for the motivation!
  • TinaZ2018
    I found this thread this morning and found it really inspiring. I'm a similar age to you and I like strength training but I don't get to do much as I have three children and a full time jobs. However I do fit in a run, a cycle, 2 kettlebell sessions , yoga and Pilates each week, after seeing you progress I think I could be working more effectively. Any advice? I have kettlebells 6-12 kg (probably will get 14kg soon) and I just bought some resistance bands.

I tried the Caroline Garvin you recommended today, I did a kettle bell one as I don't have big enough dumbbells or a bar, I loved it!

But I also see you making lots of progress with bodyweight exercises.

Anyway, any advice as to how I could make more effective use of my training time at home with my limited equipment. I can usually dedicate 40 minutes to an hour 5 days a week.

Thanks again for the inspiration!

Thank you! I know what you mean. In my fitness group (for Romanian women only) are many mothers... some of them with even 5 children. It's hard to find the time but if they don't have it, they make it. I appreciate their ambition and struggle to be a better version of themselves.
    It depends on your goals. Mine was to add muscle and sculpt my body. In order to add muscle mass and gain strength, you must focus on progressive overload (add more reps/sets, increase weight/intensity or workout time), eat clean with enough protein (2g/kg bodyweight) and to be consistent. 40-60 min x 5 times per week is great. Ideally is to follow a program but if you really can't buy two pairs of dumbbells, you'll have to make your own schedule (see below example with 4 days bodyweight workout). I can still work with Caroline, as she has many bodyweight workouts. I can't tell you much about the kettlebells because I don't use them but if you search her name + kettlebell, she also has kettlebell workouts.

Beside progressive overload (add more reps/sets, increase weight/intensity or workout time), eating clean with enough protein (2g/kg bodyweight) and being consistent, the key is to set goals. Many goals: small, big, huge, short term, long term and keep them in focus. Crushing those small goals will get you closer to the bigger ones and without even realizing you'll crush that huge goal you never though you could. :-)

x9jkujqwyk0s.png
    vc32xgbyd0i6.jpg

• Fitforevermore
    Fitforevermore Posts: 399 Member
    Thank you for the quick reply! I try to eat 100g of protein a day but I think your calculation would have me needing more like 150g if protein do you happen no this is key to the muscle you have built? I struggle to get more than 100 in.

I have put off buying dumbbells or a bar as I don't have space, I have a set of 2kg dumbbells but this is far to light. Do you think buying one set of dumbbells maybe 8or 10kg would be of use?

I know I am getting stronger but I think I could be more consistent, maybe I should focus on some particular exercise to get better at, e.g. press ups. After watching your videos this morning I realised I can probably into do one proper one, and I thought I was strong!!

Thanks again for taking the time. Your progress is amazing!
  • TinaZ2018
    Thank you for the quick reply! I try to eat 100g of protein a day but I think your calculation would have me needing more like 150g if protein do you happen no this is key to the muscle you have built? I struggle to get more than 100 in.

I have put off buying dumbbells or a bar as I don't have space, I have a set of 2kg dumbbells but this is far to light. Do you think buying one set of dumbbells maybe 8or 10kg would be of use?

I know I am getting stronger but I think I could be more consistent, maybe I should focus on some particular exercise to get better at, e.g. press ups. After watching your videos this morning I realised I can probably into do one proper one, and I thought I was strong!!

Thanks again for taking the time. Your progress is amazing!

Hi! you're welcome. Well... protein should be about 1.6g/kg bodyweight if you are overweight and higher if you have normal weight. I weight 56kg and I eat 115-120g of protein. I could certainly eat less but protein builds muscle and I aim for that. 1.6g is enough too.
    Regarding the dumbbells they should be very light but not the heaviest you can work with either because you will be able to row with a heavy weight but you can't use it for a side/front arm lift as it's very heavy. So if you buy one pair, buy something in the middle, that will allow you to do all kinds of exercises.
    Regarding the press ups... man, I could do any. I wasn't even able to do cobra push-ups correctly. In March last year I decided to start training with focus on them and by September I was doing 50 normal and correct ones in one set. Meaning full range, chest touching the floor, proper form. BUT take into consideration that when I quit training for them - now - I can do 15-25/set maximum. It's normal, because my focus is not on them anymore. The point is...progressive overload and a lot of training will get you there. I think I wrote a post about how I did it, not long ago. Look back on the thread.
    If you do manage to buy dumbbells', do those two Epic programs. They will certainly make you stronger. :-)

Thank you for the appreciation!
  • azalea4175
    azalea4175 Posts: 290 Member
    @Fitforevermore have you thought about looking at goodwill or salvation army for a stackable set of dumbbells? sometimes folks are getting rid of them and they take less space than having them on a shelf, or in a pile. also check FB marketplace. Many people buy them with good intentions and then don't use them then end up selling. Just a thought. keep up the good work!
  • supercpa999
    supercpa999 Posts: 403 Member
    @TinaZ2018
    Very inspiring and appreciate your willingness to share your journey
  • urban287
    urban287 Posts: 50 Member
    Way to do this! absoilutey inspirational!
  • TinaZ2018
    Thank you all so much! <3
  • TinaZ2018
    26.02 new PR: 36kg barbell chest press
    Not sure if I have a muscle asymmetry or if the imbalance was caused by the pain in my right arm.

k0vqufwxag3w.gif

• MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Way to go T! Just amazing what you accomplished.
  • supercpa999
    supercpa999 Posts: 403 Member
    @TinaZ2018
    You are inspirational, thanks for sharing your progress and I will look forward to seeing chapter 2!
  • TinaZ2018
    You are doing great! I like this..."No matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everybody on the couch"!!

Thank you! Yes! Slow progress is still progress. :-) #NoExcuses
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!