New to the Group? Introduce yourself here.

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    I'm so sorry 2t9nty, I didn't see your reply. I don't get this forum at all. I couldn't delete my stupid answer, I am sorry and appreciate you responding. I think Keto is a good program. I'm looking into it more today. I do so want to go off the Metformin and only been off (after first 2 weeks of it) for 3 days now. I do wonder about how long we can go without the drug as I recently read that diet and exercise are only short-term. I know I can't believe everything I read but yes, I wonder whether to just get used to the headaches and cramps, or keep this up for another 3 days and see if I really feel better. I'm practically on Keto diet already. Scared of carbs. Probably my body is ridding itself of the sugar in my liver (read about that on Dr. Jason Fung site.

You don't need to be scared of carbs, you just need to find what does and doesn't work for you. It can take some experimentation over time, but knowledge is better than straight fear. My body's ideal diet is somewhere between keto and Mediterranean. I can do keto for awhile, but I am actually happier with a slightly higher carb intake than most keto proponents recommend, from veg, fruit, seeds, beans and the occasional whole grains. I am crazy grateful for keto recipes though, especially fat bombs that let me have a delicious sweet without messing with my blood sugar!

I would also generally suggest walking away from Dr. Fung and his ilk, but I know he is popular with the Keto crowd, as well as the fasting proponents. He has a tendency to apply studies done in petri dishes to humans and it doesn't always work that way.

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member

You don't need to be scared of carbs, you just need to find what does and doesn't work for you. It can take some experimentation over time, but knowledge is better than straight fear. My body's ideal diet is somewhere between keto and Mediterranean. I can do keto for awhile, but I am actually happier with a slightly higher carb intake than most keto proponents recommend, from veg, fruit, seeds, beans and the occasional whole grains. I am crazy grateful for keto recipes though, especially fat bombs that let me have a delicious sweet without messing with my blood sugar!

I would also generally suggest walking away from Dr. Fung and his ilk, but I know he is popular with the Keto crowd, as well as the fasting proponents. He has a tendency to apply studies done in petri dishes to humans and it doesn't always work that way.

I do think the most important thing I have learned in all this is that it is not so formulaic as people would like you to believe. You have to figure it out for yourself.

I have never really been able to watch the videos from Fung, et al. I tried when I was new here because there were people all gaga about them. It feels like I am being sold a bill of goods. I am not saying they is wrong or anything, but I just have a reaction to it.

I know we have a fascination culturally with people who have some basis for authority who post Youtube videos. It tends to be a little self-affirming or something. You find someone who says something that supports what works for you. The problem is of course that there is someone out there with 8% body fat or a PhD/MD/whatever to espouse pretty much any idea you can think of.
  • rkellywhite
    rkellywhite Posts: 22 Member
    Hi and my name is Kelly and I'm newly diagnosed, well sort of. I've been in denial for six months and have finally decided to take this seriously. I've been on and off MFP for years for weight loss and exercise but new to Type 2 diabetes. Anyway, I've been keeping a food journal for a couple of weeks and then decided to understand and watch my carbs on MFP. What I've noticed is that when I take my blood sugar in the morning it's very high compared to my post meal readings. I noticed on my food journal that when I forget to take my PM Metformin my blood sugar is much lower comparted to higher if I remember to take my PM pill. So I Googled and found rebound hyperglycemia or Sogomyi effect. Anyone have any information or experience with this? Thanks for reading!
  • 2t9nty
    Hi and my name is Kelly and I'm newly diagnosed, well sort of. I've been in denial for six months and have finally decided to take this seriously. I've been on and off MFP for years for weight loss and exercise but new to Type 2 diabetes. Anyway, I've been keeping a food journal for a couple of weeks and then decided to understand and watch my carbs on MFP. What I've noticed is that when I take my blood sugar in the morning it's very high compared to my post meal readings. I noticed on my food journal that when I forget to take my PM Metformin my blood sugar is much lower comparted to higher if I remember to take my PM pill. So I Googled and found rebound hyperglycemia or Sogomyi effect. Anyone have any information or experience with this? Thanks for reading!

My morning BF is sometimes the highest reading of the day. The "morning effect" or whatever is a thing. I tried the suggested snacks before bedtime, etc. It did not make any difference for me.

Welcome to the group!
  • petlamb00
    petlamb00 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi everyone I've just had my bloods done and non fasting is for the first time in the pre diabetic range .I'm in the uk.
    I have a phone appointment in a couple of weeks with a nurse.But I want to take charge now and try to reduce my levals.
    I have several health problems including hashimotos under active thyroid disease but can't remember ever in my 70 years gaining 1stone + in 12 months.
  • 2t9nty
    petlamb00 wrote: »
    Hi everyone I've just had my bloods done and non fasting is for the first time in the pre diabetic range .I'm in the uk.
    I have a phone appointment in a couple of weeks with a nurse.But I want to take charge now and try to reduce my levals.
    I have several health problems including hashimotos under active thyroid disease but can't remember ever in my 70 years gaining 1stone + in 12 months.

I know nothing of hashimotos. My experience was that managing carbs was the thing that got my glucose numbers down. I will be interested to hear what the nurse has to say.

• ali1257
    ali1257 Posts: 11 Member
    Good morning. I used MyFitnessPal many years ago and wandered away. I am back, along with my husband. We are both facing some serious health issues, diabetes being my main one as well as cardiac issues. I really need and want a small support group to encourage and challenge me as well as so I can do the same for others.

I have been a diabetic since 1995 and stuff still doesn't make sense to me. For example, fasting BS was 242, ate Oikos Zero Yogurt and 1/2 granola, 18 units of Novolog and 2 hours later my BS is 242...NO Change! I just don't understand.
  • 2t9nty
    edited May 2021
    ali1257 wrote: »
    Good morning. I used MyFitnessPal many years ago and wandered away. I am back, along with my husband. We are both facing some serious health issues, diabetes being my main one as well as cardiac issues. I really need and want a small support group to encourage and challenge me as well as so I can do the same for others.

I have been a diabetic since 1995 and stuff still doesn't make sense to me. For example, fasting BS was 242, ate Oikos Zero Yogurt and 1/2 granola, 18 units of Novolog and 2 hours later my BS is 242...NO Change! I just don't understand.

I have no experience with Novolog, but I do know that diabetes is a much more individual disease than we think. The doctors and dieticians are very formulaic with it, and we all respond to things differently.
  • happyfarang
    happyfarang Posts: 2 Member
    I have been type 2 diabetic now for 9yrs my range long term is currently going up and also my weight thats why I thought I would give it a go to lower my sugar blood level and get back on track currently 63 this year gave up sugar and lost 15kg 9 years ago ,and know I have to detox from sugar to feel better so hello from me wish me luck change of diet .
  • Maesneuadd
    Maesneuadd Posts: 61 Member
    I have been type 2 diabetic now for 9yrs my range long term is currently going up and also my weight thats why I thought I would give it a go to lower my sugar blood level and get back on track currently 63 this year gave up sugar and lost 15kg 9 years ago ,and know I have to detox from sugar to feel better so hello from me wish me luck change of diet .

Good luck. It is so easy for the weight, and the sugars, to creep back up. I know from personal experience. You did it before you can do it again, keep at it.

• Maesneuadd
    (snip) .. (/snip) and found rebound hyperglycemia or Sogomyi effect. Anyone have any information or experience with this? Thanks for reading!

I didn't find anything had a great effect on the early morning high sugars (evening snack, med timing, etc) until I got control of my weight. In my case this was with reduction of carb intake.

• Maesneuadd
    Jarhead87 wrote: »
    I know I have to abandon the keto and intermittent fasting concepts due to meds but would still like to monitor my Macros as I try to get numbers under control and lose weight (weight and inactivity are probably my largest mitigating factors).

If you are going to avoid the keto and intermittent fasting then perhaps the mediterranean diet woudl be good for you to consider. This with a focus on getting your weight down to target should help. Also look at getting enough cardio and strength exercise in your plan if your job is sedentary. Just be sensible and determined.

• creativearnab
    creativearnab Posts: 1 Member
    Hi there! Glad to find this group. I was diagnosed in 2016. Though I have been on 1000mg of Metformin twice a day for a very long time, my readings in the recent past started to go South. And that brought me back towards a more active lifestyle and watching my food intake.

I live in Pune, a city in the western part of India. Looking forward to interact with you all, and cumulative knowledge of this group to better manage diabetes.
  • 2t9nty
    Hi there! Glad to find this group. I was diagnosed in 2016. Though I have been on 1000mg of Metformin twice a day for a very long time, my readings in the recent past started to go South. And that brought me back towards a more active lifestyle and watching my food intake.

I live in Pune, a city in the western part of India. Looking forward to interact with you all, and cumulative knowledge of this group to better manage diabetes.

Glad you are here!
  • DeeDeeJustMe
    DeeDeeJustMe Posts: 3 Member
    Hi my name is Dee. I have type 2 going on 5 years. I was taking 500 Metformin twice a day at 175 lbs. My doctor warned me if I did not lose weight he would put me on needle insulin. So I lost 43 lbs. He cut my meds to 250 twice a day. And I promptly gained back 30 lbs in less than a year. I am down to 150 and need to drop about 15 or 20 more. I just want to stop the Metformin for good and maintain my blood sugar naturally and keep the weight off.
  • 2t9nty
    Hi my name is Dee. I have type 2 going on 5 years. I was taking 500 Metformin twice a day at 175 lbs. My doctor warned me if I did not lose weight he would put me on needle insulin. So I lost 43 lbs. He cut my meds to 250 twice a day. And I promptly gained back 30 lbs in less than a year. I am down to 150 and need to drop about 15 or 20 more. I just want to stop the Metformin for good and maintain my blood sugar naturally and keep the weight off.

You can do it! I will say the weight loss/maintenance is a tough one. The only success I have had there is with rigorous logging. Going keto helped with my numbers...
  • michaelorozco67
    michaelorozco67 Posts: 3 Member
    Hello all,
    I am Michael Type 2 diabetic. I didn't become a diabetic until I got into my 40's. I have been athletic all of my life until I got into my mid to late 40's.

I am a Marine veteran. I still like to run when I can. Unfortunately I believe I may be a heredity diabetic. My father, grandfather, etc... diabetics.

I was married and went through a rough divorce in my early forties. Stopped working out, got really depressed, started eating and drinking a lot. My son and I finally moved away from where my ex was and basically trying to start a new life for ourselves.

However, at the age of 44, while I was at work, I suffered a minor heart attack.
    I am 5'5', and I was 225 lbs. After my heart attack it really scared me. I got really strict about eating healthy, and started working out, and running again.

I was running anywhere from 3 to 7 miles a day. I really love running. Probably my favorite thing to do. But, now that I am in my 50's I am starting to realize that my muscles aren't as elastic as they used to be. I unfortunately tore a calf muscle one day running. I have been on the mend for about 2 months. In that time I have managed to gain around 15 lbs. I was down to around 175 lbs., and now I am back up to 190.

All is not lost though. I finally felt better today and took a 3 mile walk. It felt so good!
    I am going to start off slow and easy and try and stretch a lot more before trying to run again. I am trying to eat healthy, and watch my sugar intake.

I just started, so please give me a little time, and hopefully a little support!

Thank you all!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Hello all,
    I am Michael Type 2 diabetic. I didn't become a diabetic until I got into my 40's. I have been athletic all of my life until I got into my mid to late 40's.

I am a Marine veteran. I still like to run when I can. Unfortunately I believe I may be a heredity diabetic. My father, grandfather, etc... diabetics.

I was married and went through a rough divorce in my early forties. Stopped working out, got really depressed, started eating and drinking a lot. My son and I finally moved away from where my ex was and basically trying to start a new life for ourselves.

However, at the age of 44, while I was at work, I suffered a minor heart attack.
    I am 5'5', and I was 225 lbs. After my heart attack it really scared me. I got really strict about eating healthy, and started working out, and running again.

I was running anywhere from 3 to 7 miles a day. I really love running. Probably my favorite thing to do. But, now that I am in my 50's I am starting to realize that my muscles aren't as elastic as they used to be. I unfortunately tore a calf muscle one day running. I have been on the mend for about 2 months. In that time I have managed to gain around 15 lbs. I was down to around 175 lbs., and now I am back up to 190.

All is not lost though. I finally felt better today and took a 3 mile walk. It felt so good!
    I am going to start off slow and easy and try and stretch a lot more before trying to run again. I am trying to eat healthy, and watch my sugar intake.

I just started, so please give me a little time, and hopefully a little support!

Thank you all!

Hi Michael! I’m a runner too. I understand how frustrating it is not to be able to run because of injury. You get used to eating to fuel those runs and then you can’t anymore! Hoping you heal well and are back at it soon.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member

Why stop the Metformin? It’s a weight loss aid for many and as you noticed most who have lost weight on it tend to regain when they go off it. It’s got several benefits which have caused wealthy people to seek prescriptions for it off label as a longevity drug.
  • KarinaBlose
    KarinaBlose Posts: 3 Member
    Hi, I'm Karina and I've had T2 Diabetes for a few years now. I'm struggling. I am 4'11" and 193 pounds. My A1C is 7.5. I take metformin 2x/day and 25 mg. Jardiance. My dr. wants me to get down to 6.5, so I need encouragement. I'll do well one or two days with my food, then I rebel and eat what I want. It's crazy. I don't exercise but want to walk my dog and USE my subscription to Sworkit (exercise app). I have fatty liver, high blood pressure, cholesterol/triglyceride problems, and depression/anxiety (well controlled). So lots of things on my plate, but I'm not feeling sorry for myself too much. I'm anxious to see what everyone else does to bring this under control. I just made appointments with a podiatrist and dietitian. Should I see anyone else? Who should be on my "team"?